Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Help me to get my turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help me to get my turbo...

Hey, I am looking to possibly go turbo. I don't know if it's really worth it or not for the tC, as the money could well be spent on another car...

Anyways, here is what I am looking for. I don't care only about speed, I care about looks equally.

240-250 horsepower. I don't want anything to powerful, and I believe this is really the bottom of the range.

intercooler. I want it mostly for looks because at this power range it is not too beneficial.

BOV.

As for turbo, manifold, injectors, pipes, filter and lines I just want them to be reliable.

Mostly I want this to be as cheap as possible. As for fueling I just want it to do the job. I don't care which it is. I don't care being able to build on to the kit. This is what I want, any more power I will get a different car.

Any ideas as to what is good to go with? Anyone make their own kit for cheap? They say you can only have two, and I'm not going for speed. I just want cheap and reliable.

Thanks,
JOE
Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh and I hope to install it all myself..
Old 02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So it sounds like you wanna half ___ it and cut corners and be a ricer about it. My advice to you, buy an intercooler off ebay, stick it in where it should be, but and electronic BOV and a tail-pipe whistler and keep yourself in the Drive-train and power section.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, I didnt know that $6000 for 300 was worth it for a FWD car with no LSD..

I want to make STR4 speed, maybe a little faster. I didnt know anything was so wrong with that..

and I was planning on buying a clutch but supposedly some people use the stock one?? this sounds like BS, but if anyone uses the stock clutch let me know...

Not everyone cares about making the fastest ____in car. I know what range I want to be in and I just want to get there as cheap as possible, while being extremely RELIABLE...

Ricer tactic would be to go fast and cheap and break their car... And if i wanted fast this would not be the car I would buy.. I just want it a little faster, and I happen to care about looks...

So yea fake BOV and intercooler connected to intake would be the cheapest, but that would be pointless and about 80 horses less powerful..
Old 02-21-2008, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by guitarguru44
yea, I didnt know that $6000 for 300 was worth it for a FWD car with no LSD..

I want to make STR4 speed, maybe a little faster. I didnt know anything was so wrong with that..

and I was planning on buying a clutch but supposedly some people use the stock one?? this sounds like BS, but if anyone uses the stock clutch let me know...

Not everyone cares about making the fastest flippin' car. I know what range I want to be in and I just want to get there as cheap as possible, while being extremely RELIABLE...

Ricer tactic would be to go fast and cheap and break their car... And if i wanted fast this would not be the car I would buy.. I just want it a little faster, and I happen to care about looks...

So yea fake BOV and intercooler connected to intake would be the cheapest, but that would be pointless and about 80 horses less powerful..

Don't listen to these guys. I would buy a basic kit from Dezod or Turbo Toyotas or Greddy and then build from there. If your "really" mechanically inclined, then a custom build can save you some money.

As for the clutch, you can use the stock one for quite a while as long as you don't try and launch the car from every light.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

go for todds new backyeard brawler kit! thats actually what its called! its cheap and reliable!

www.whyindustries.com

i have been running my stock clutch on 8psi daily driven for about 4 months now with no slipping.. but im uping my boost this weekend.. im sure ill feel it then! good luck
Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...8698&start=200
Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dezod group buy and you should NEVER BOOST ON BUDGET
Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

fast. reliable. cheap. lol i wont even paste the cliche response that i know someone else will.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

hahahaha ill do it

fast reliable cheap

choose two! haha
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats the point... i want cheap and reliable, not fast. I just want a little more power to have fun with. I am hoping to have everything installed under $3500.. and Im not worried about budget as I'm sitting on cash. What I am worried about is wasting my money on a car that for a daily driver I dont think is worth it. The car would be worth it if I could rip it apart and make it a one seater, but its not really even meant for that...

as for that TT kit, I kinda want a intercooler. I just really like the way they look.. and still need fueling with that kit I believe.. and for this I just want what is the cheapest as I don't plan on changing tunes or building for any extra power..

And how long do you guys really see a stock clutch lasting for weekend fun type driving with around 240 torque??
Old 02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cheap and reliable... now stop saying that and help me out
Old 02-21-2008, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i dont know how long the clutch would last and since you dont like that kit go for the "basik" kit i think it comes with injectors.. and if it doesnt todd can get you everything you need!

call him and talk with him. he will help you build a kit to your needs. he did it for me and many others!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

i dont understand why you want an intercooler because you like the way they look?

from this thread (yes, i read every single post) it sounds like you just want a turbo to say you have one. you dont really care how it performs, you just want to have it for looks?
which is the complete opposite of what its meant for...

im not trying to flame, im just saying that it doesnt seem like your looking for a turbo setup for the right reasons.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would say get another car as your weekend car and keep the tC as your daily driver. you say you want cheap and reliable those words should never be put together, you get what you pay for. lots of people have said that when you boost you better have some extra cash for the problems that can occur. even only putting 240-250 whp you can still run into problems. if you are looking for a little more power then i say go get the trd supercharger i know someone here i think is getting the S/C at 240 whp. those words cheap and reliable should never be put together you always get what you pay for
Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Buy This Kit
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=208698
Drop the boost to 7 lbs and retune.
Enough Left over for gauges!!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are you gonna do if you blow your motor man? Or what if something doesn't work out as planned? If you have the money in case something goes wrong then I would say go for it. You'll definitely want gauges, and a solid tune which is gonna run another 5 hundred at least.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$3500 installed aint gonna happen. If you want something sho quality, the ram horn mani on the TurboToytas Basik kit looks bad as hell:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211578
And you can get it coated or polished.

That right there is $2999
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=202331
Then you need to add fuel management for $600, and the you need gauges and a gauge pod for about $400.

Even with a $2000 kit, you will need manaement, gagues, tune, install....not gonna happen for $3500.

Basic rule of thumb, take how much money you think you need and double it.

good luck.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Just get a supercharger, it will be better suited to your needs.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was gonna say that as well, but unless he's got an '05 or '06, the SC is gonna run him, what, $3K? Just to have the bearing blow out? I would't recomend it.

Quick Reply: Help me to get my turbo...