Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Help me pickout a clutch PWEEEZ :D

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chintastictc
Originally Posted by SoFloTC
i dont have money for the labor costs to start out with stock crap and then swap the upgraded clutch and fly in.
ok ur gonna pay for the more expensive clutch and install ....wreck that clutch and have to pay for another expensive clutch and install hahaha w/e man ur car your money...im just thinking logically
HES TURBO!.. HES GOING TO RIP THROUGH THE OEM CLUTCH ON 300 WHP IN A MONTH LEARNING.....and your telling him to do double the work and waste double the labor and money and time for what??? a stg 4 clutch can be learned in a few weeks.. your logic is about as sound as the current economy...

Old 01-08-2009, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
i dont have money for the labor costs to start out with stock crap and then swap the upgraded clutch and fly in.
ok ur gonna pay for the more expensive clutch and install ....wreck that clutch and have to pay for another expensive clutch and install hahaha w/e man ur car your money...im just thinking logically
HES TURBO!.. HES GOING TO RIP THROUGH THE OEM CLUTCH ON 300 WHP IN A MONTH LEARNING.....and your telling him to do double the work and waste double the labor and money and time for what??? a stg 4 clutch can be learned in a few weeks.. your logic is about as sound as the current economy...

u totally are seriously missing what im saying....ok i know HES TURBO thanks shirlock,,,,thats why i said for him to run the built motor with out the turbo kit and drive it STOCK until comfortable.....then he can do the clutch and turbo kit ...jeez....i have had a buddy with the same situation kinda...he ran a fully built motor on the stock ecu and stock clutch!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^what a stock clutch and flywheel is dirt cheap and hes gonna destroy the new clutch learning and have to do it all over again any way....c'mon
bro you just suggest to him to get a stock motor and throw it in with an MT tranny and stock clutch... THEN re do the ENTIRE swap over a 2nd time all because of learning on a MAN clutch... NO DUDE U CMON! have some common sense.... why do the job 2 time over and spend more money then need to... cheaaaa ok!
ok noob cake....your saying that he cant run a built motor without the turbo kit??????and install later on with the clutch when ready...seriously...my buddy when breaking in his motor ran it stock before he put the turbo kit on .... stock ecu and all....its not hard to install a turbo kit man...
1. you post says "swap" not taking off the turbo, nothing else...
2. me a noob? AHHAHAHAAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAAHHHAHAH
3. me a noob again HAHAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAH
4. if your friend has a "built" motor then how would it even make some sense to run the stock ecu??? or your telling me yea just slap it all together and it will be fine... forget timing, fuel trim, consideration for possible different compression(since i dont know what he has)... hes not stock compression.. so u want him to run no turbo kit and stock ecu for what? to have it run horific for weeks/months while he learns how to work a clutch on a HORRIFIC running car and runs into a possible fuel/timing problem then BOOM it blows?

YES IM A NOOB... HEAR ME ROAR!.......

Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 PM

isnt sprung more practical for a daily driver.. ?
Yes it is, but keep in mind, toyota designed the clutch disc size for a 160hp motor now you're running 400-500 hp using the same size clutch disc. Since you can't increase the surface area on an aftermarket clutch with a single disc to make it handle more power, you have to make the pressure plate diaphragm stiffer to handle the extra power. But that doesn't change the strength of the clutch disc itself, since all 400-500 hp is still applied to the same size disc--regardless of material. So the best way to eliminate potential disc failure on a single disc setup is to run it without the springs. That's one of many reasons why companies develop multi-disc clutch setup.

If you can take a stock disc from a toyota tundra and make it fit inside your e350 tranny, then you will have the smooth, daily driver setup that can handle a lot of power, but we all know we can't have our cake and eat it too. There's always some comprise to deal with when you're making more power than stock.

So turn down the boost and try to drive less aggressively to get more mileage out of a clutch.

MrC

Old 01-08-2009, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^^^what a stock clutch and flywheel is dirt cheap and hes gonna destroy the new clutch learning and have to do it all over again any way....c'mon
bro you just suggest to him to get a stock motor and throw it in with an MT tranny and stock clutch... THEN re do the ENTIRE swap over a 2nd time all because of learning on a MAN clutch... NO DUDE U CMON! have some common sense.... why do the job 2 time over and spend more money then need to... cheaaaa ok!
ok noob cake....your saying that he cant run a built motor without the turbo kit??????and install later on with the clutch when ready...seriously...my buddy when breaking in his motor ran it stock before he put the turbo kit on .... stock ecu and all....its not hard to install a turbo kit man...
4. if your friend has a "built" motor then how would it even make some sense to run the stock ecu??? or your telling me yea just slap it all together and it will be fine... forget timing, fuel trim, consideration for possible different compression(since i dont know what he has)... hes not stock compression.. so u want him to run no turbo kit and stock ecu for what? to have it run horific for weeks/months while he learns how to work a clutch on a HORRIFIC running car and runs into a possible fuel/timing problem then BOOM it blows?

lmao u fail...so ur saying u cant run a built motor on stock ecu????u obviously havent done anything serious yet... lmao ok no need to argue with you....btw the only ill effect of running stock ecu was a loss of power...ooooooooo it so blew up....and the car is pushing 430whp right now on the same motor....oh and another thing he drove for 10k miles like that b4 putting the turbo kit back on...so back to topic...do what u want soflo and goodluck...happy to see that auto trans go..lol just had to try nd advise you correctly
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya im just confused.. some ppl say theyve had no problems with sprung clutches and others have.. well what causes the problems? beating on the car? mis shifting? grinding? im not going to be pushing my car to any extent while i learn to drive.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lmao u fail...so ur saying u cant run a built motor on stock ecu????u obviously havent done anything serious yet... lmao ok no need to argue with you....btw the only ill effect of running stock ecu was a loss of power...ooooooooo it so blew up....and the car is pushing 430whp right now on the same motor....oh and another thing he drove for 10k miles like that b4 putting the turbo kit back on...so back to topic...do what u want soflo and goodluck...happy to see that auto trans go..lol just had to try nd advise you correctly
your giving out advice and yet your the one posting things like this?

do a custom twin scroll supercharger...it will have the cool whine...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie....php?p=3929264

BTW bro...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=194455

and THAT mod list is OLD compared to the current MOD list for the motor hand built by myself with some friends helping along the way...

have a nice day... my job here is done.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i ran my built motor with stock ecu and such breaking it in.. with no turbo and it ran fine
Old 01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ya im just confused.. some ppl say theyve had no problems with sprung clutches and others have.. well what causes the problems? beating on the car? mis shifting? grinding? im not going to be pushing my car to any extent while i learn to drive.
it can happen from all those thing chad.. but those cases are very isolated... from NA to boosted cars... from beating.. and from just rgular daily driving.. its just something that happens... i do not comp clutch will warrenty the clutch if that does happen since it happend with davedavetc and another member on SL...

learn it on the car all together... even turn down the boost like MrC said while u get use to it... the stg4 for example is very very streetable man... next time i swing by the scikotics meet just try my pedal out... i've adjusted it now to be a tad stronger the stock but VERY doable for daily driving.. my wife learned on this clutch in a few days.. and she hates cars lmao... so u should not have a problem learning.. just take it easy... slow and just get the basics of getting into 1st ... from 2nd and on its easy as pie.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice investigation shirlock..lol the supercharger thing hahaha totally has nothing to do with it...and someone will do it eventually haha..but ok .....not gonna argue anymore lol...my day will be fine thank you
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why is that theres always arguements on SL.. so pointless..
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i ran my built motor with stock ecu and such breaking it in.. with no turbo and it ran fine
for 1500 miles which is nothing.. lol and ur lucky... out of the 6 other cars i know who built their heads and blocks all had issues of running riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich and being horrific to drive.. once they tuned and turbo'd all was good again... and of them currently makes 500 whp and said it was not the smartest thing to do.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thank you lol thats all i suggested was to go back to that and run a stock clutch to get used to..thats all
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for 1500 miles which is nothing.. lol and ur lucky... out of the 6 other cars i know who built their heads and blocks all had issues of running riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich and being horrific to drive.. once they tuned and turbo'd all was good again... and of them currently makes 500 whp and said it was not the smartest thing to do.
omg lol there problem wasnt that i can guarantee it ....bro ur not "lucky" they were just unlucky haha
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

why is that theres always arguements on ScionLife.. so pointless..
im not arguing lol.. just trying to steer u in a better direction lol.... and save u time and money lol.. i dont wana know what happend with the tranny..lol but im puzzled cuz i thought u and luiggi were gonna have it working good now with the shifting issue.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

omg lol there problem wasnt that i can guarantee it ....bro ur not "lucky" they were just unlucky haha
these un lucky ppl build motors for nascar, toyota, and titan motorsports.. i doubt they were unlucky for some random reason.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^he was arguing lol haha..sorry soflo wont argue again in ur posts i promise
Old 01-08-2009, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help me pickout a clutch PWEEEZ :D

Ok so ... my car will be undergoing a Manual swap sooooon! to many problems with levelten and their bullpoop i dont even want to continue using their built auto tranny. (do not ask about what happened please). So im expecting to be at 400whp and 400wtq or somewhere in that ballpark area after the swap on like 15-18 lbs..
Not to get flamed or anything but im a fairly NEW driver with stick.. still not that good at it at all. I need a clutch that isnt to ridiculous and easy to stall with. I was looking at competition stage III but i dnt think it will hold the power so what about stage 4? also should i be looking for a sprung disc or unsprung?
I just saw this, Chad.

So you're finally going to take my advice huh?

Hate to say "I told you so..."

But go with a Stage 4... no need for a Twin Disc unless you're going to road race it often.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<3 no arguing. everyone has their right to say what they think is an option. But i do not have the money right now to do that chin. I will be putting an upgraded clutch in and light fly and learn my driving on it.. if the new clutch goes its like 350 for a new one .. thats like a week of work.. big deal lol

Comp stage 4 SPRUNG with a 12 lb fly is what im looking at right now.

whats the diff between the 12lb and the 9 lb fly?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<3 no arguing. everyone has their right to say what they think is an option. But i do not have the money right now to do that chin. I will be putting an upgraded clutch in and light fly and learn my driving on it.. if the new clutch goes its like 350 for a new one .. thats like a week of work.. big deal lol

Comp stage 4 SPRUNG with a 12 lb fly is what im looking at right now.

whats the diff between the 12lb and the 9 lb fly?
go for it...get the 12 lb

Quick Reply: Help me pickout a clutch PWEEEZ :D