Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

help needed from turbocharged tc owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member

Default help needed from turbocharged tc owners

Well basicly i want to get my car turbocharged but i want to know what the max horsepower and torque the drivetrain will handle and the engine. i need first hand experience answers so that my car will last. i need owners of turbocharged tc to let me know of any problems with the tranny, limited slip dif., clutch,etc. and if you could tell me how much the drivetrain can actually take safely without having to change everything out. i'm a college student with enough to spend on the turbo but not a new car so please help.
Old 08-10-2006, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

uhhh, there's a FI forum...
Old 08-10-2006, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

depends on the transmission...

i would say the auto tranny can handle around 200whp safely while being a daily driver.
as for the manual, depending on if upgrade the components, i would say somewhere near 300whp safely, driven everday.

HOWEVER!
if you do not have enough money to cover the cost of the car in case something terrible happens, i wouldnt do something to the car that could possible destroy it.

sounds like you should go with the TRD SC to me.
both stock transmissions can handle the power safely, along with the engine. And in the worst case scenario, TRD has your back for 5 years/60k miles.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you can't afford to replace then engine then please do not turbo. The SC definitely looks like the FI answer for you. As to your question I agree with TheQuietThings except for probably only 250-280 WHP for manual would be a safe range to shot for.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So many factors play into the question "how much is safe before things go bad". I do not want to sound unhelpful to you, but there is no definite answer. How you drive, how you have driven your car so far, how (by whom) the install is done, the climate you live in, your luck.... soooo many things. People that have put on the exact same kit have had different outcomes as far as drivability. Very few if any have set out to see exactly how much power they can add before things go bad. Instead, they try to do everything possible to make sure that they aren't taking that chance. If you are worried about things breaking due to too much whp, then go with a stage 0 or like others suggested, the Supercharger which you can have installed to maintain your warranty.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok, I'm going to chime in here and say, If you are AUTO, and you are looking for 230+whp then you need to upgrade the tranny components to handle it. PeteyD is pushing 220+whp and 200+wtq on his auto, and he has a tranny cooler to help with such as well as some components I think. For a/t: http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...roducts_id=237

If you are manual, then you need at most a clutch and flywheel. ZPI has yet to upgrade any other component inside of a m/t to handle any of there cars HP (and that is upwards of 330-500whp). There are no reported tranny problems at all for m/t besides blowing out clutches (I speak from experience, clutch was so bad, Kenny said it was the worst he has ever seen). My clutch was seized to the flywheel.... And that wasn't even a stock clutch, it was a ClutchMasters Stage 1.

Other than that, everything else is stock. We are running 8 PSI still, and will bump it to 10 in a couple of weeks with a new tune.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member

Well to help with answers. i live in maryland i drive like 150miles each day and i will be driving alot more soon for school. i have a manul tranny and i tend to drive speed limit but with the occasional race. i want to reach about 260 hp safely on the tranny and engine. and i would like to keep a small turbo on it, nothing to big so that spool up time will not be in 3rd gear. money wise if i have to change some of the drivetrain then that will be fine but i don't want a complete meltdown.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member

i need to know how much the m/t will hold safely
Old 08-10-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think you're reading/understanding what people are saying 350-500 is all that people have reached so the actual blow point is not determined yet, however for what you're looking for rhythym is right, get yourself a clutch and while you're in there I'd do the flywheel to (but thats just me) and as long you don't drive like me you'll be ok, now if you have an auto, well if you break 260whp let us know how it goes lol, I know peteyd is in the process of replacing an axle..
Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by eman5434
Well to help with answers. i live in maryland i drive like 150miles each day and i will be driving alot more soon for school. i have a manul tranny and i tend to drive speed limit but with the occasional race. i want to reach about 260 hp safely on the tranny and engine. and i would like to keep a small turbo on it, nothing to big so that spool up time will not be in 3rd gear. money wise if i have to change some of the drivetrain then that will be fine but i don't want a complete meltdown.

For your goals, you don't have to do anything. Stock clutch/flywheel will handle 260hp if you are just a normal driver.

For your turbo needs:

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...products_id=36

Small turbine + out spools all the rest = You practically destroy other cars in your class.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Default turbo upgrade general info

I prefer Turbonetics to ZPI - in my experience, the customer service just hasn't supported the products. All other upgrade parts can be purchased from their respective manufacturers, (e.g., I think the Turbosmart wastegates are the best in the industry.)

I have the turbo with full internals, upgraded head, valves, modified cams, Quaife LSD, Clutchmasters Stage II clutch and lightweight flywheel.

We are in the break-in period with no problems at all. We are tuning soon for 10 pounds -- that will be our first dyno pull and we'll know a lot better what we have to the wheels.

This is my daily driver and I think we have done due diligence to support the power we are now generating. Like the others posted, simply bolting on a turbo is very uncertain in terms of the life of your car, so buyers beware.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by eman5434
If you drive your car that much I would go with the TRD s/c. I use my car as a daily driver but on most days I only drive maybe 40 miles.