Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

help please: turbo troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default help please: turbo troubleshooting

hey guys, for the past two weeks my tuner and I have been working to rid my car of the P0171 (system too lean) code. The car is not running too lean in anyway as indicated my my wideband, and the tune feels crisp and smooth. I am very happy with how the car feels and its power output (250whp) but this darn light is quite annoying. Has anyone experienced this problem that might be able to lend me some advice?
Its a Dezod S1 kit with 850cc injectors and an AEM fi/c.

Last edited by x_Batman_x; 08-05-2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: changed title from P0171 to turbo trouble shooting; topic has extended to different areas
Old 07-26-2010, 05:34 PM
SL Member

I ran into it with my setup apr inline, 850s, 60-1, custom turbo kit. What I needed was to adjust the injector adjust alot more to get the fuel trims as close to 0 to -5 range as possible in all loads and rpms. Once i had the trims dialed in the code stopped appearing. so it is probably your fuel trims in some spots that are a lil off throwin it. At least that is what it was for me. Hope that helps.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM
SL Member

If that doesnt help ask paul he is a freakin genius.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm ill talk to my tuner about that. Right now my STFTs run between 0 and ~+5. Ill see if favoring the negative side helps. Ill probalby call Paul today after work too....
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
hmm ill talk to my tuner about that. Right now my STFTs run between 0 and ~+5. Ill see if favoring the negative side helps. Ill probalby call Paul today after work too....
Emailed ya back!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdyer666
I ran into it with my setup apr inline, 850s, 60-1, custom turbo kit. What I needed was to adjust the injector adjust alot more to get the fuel trims as close to 0 to -5 range as possible in all loads and rpms. Once i had the trims dialed in the code stopped appearing. so it is probably your fuel trims in some spots that are a lil off throwin it. At least that is what it was for me. Hope that helps.
Brandon, how is she running?
Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

i get system too rich every time i start my car. Dan thinks he figured out how to get my idle working right, because thats where it's from. I don't know if he tested out his method on yours though. all my fuel trims are always at 0 +- 3 except at idle it's -22.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah after talking with Paul over email and examining my fuel trims i think i know what the problem is. My LTFTs are like 20 at idle and 44 while driving. My whole fuel map needs to be shifted so that the the STFTs counteract the LTFTs and eventually they will both zero out. I tried calling and texting dan earlier but he hasnt responded. I actually thing the best thing to do would be to reset the ECU to erase the LTFTs and then redo the whole fuel map, that way the LTFTs and STFTs wold both be close to zero...

thanks again paul for your help!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

^^ yes do that
Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

confirmed plans with tuner to retune fuel map according to above.
Will update later this week :-)
Old 07-27-2010, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I do believe I spoke to your tuner today, that is what I told him to do. Hope it works out.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM
SL Member

Paul you def helped out alot im changin plugs today to two steps colder and she is doin good i still keep findin random spots that i need to smooth out in inj adj but its cause im purposely lookin for them. But still with as much time as i have fugin with it i would love to see what you can do in a day of tunin.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks Don. You probably did, he was saying he was going to call. Cant wait to get this fixed :-)
Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned
SL Member

Paul you def helped out alot im changin plugs today to two steps colder and she is doin good i still keep findin random spots that i need to smooth out in inj adj but its cause im purposely lookin for them. But still with as much time as i have fugin with it i would love to see what you can do in a day of tunin.

i love ur sig
Old 07-29-2010, 11:54 AM
SL Member

^its all thanks to you
Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

;)

So, if you need some help or a nudge in the right direction again, send me a log.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_Batman_x
yeah after talking with Paul over email and examining my fuel trims i think i know what the problem is. My LTFTs are like 20 at idle and 44 while driving. My whole fuel map needs to be shifted so that the the STFTs counteract the LTFTs and eventually they will both zero out. I tried calling and texting dan earlier but he hasnt responded. I actually thing the best thing to do would be to reset the ECU to erase the LTFTs and then redo the whole fuel map, that way the LTFTs and STFTs wold both be close to zero...

thanks again paul for your help!
Glad to hear! Just get that O2 map coinciding with the fuel map working out right and you will be golden.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn I'm gonna be the only non-turbo tC left in Michigan Congrats on the upgrade man!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

system too lean codes only apply to partial throttle. the ECU takes over under WOT. so go over your partial throttle tune.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Name:  IMG_0365.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  107.3 KB

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Car is running real smooth, definitely happy with the feel and pull.

One more question though... Does anyone know if the ECU's open loop fuel map changes at all after diagnostics have been completed? I'm pretty sure that when my tuner finished up on thursday the AFRs ran around like 11.7 under boost at WOT... strangely enough though now that all the run cycles have been completed (as indicated by the SGII reading -READY-) my AFR under boost at WOT is now pegged right at 10.6... Not really concerned since thats not rich enough to cause any problems but loosing that bit of power is kind of annoying lol. Anyone have any idea as to why I'm getting this shift? Nothing else seems to have changed (idle, partial throttle boost etc...)

Quick Reply: help please: turbo troubleshooting