Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Help with S/C and 12psi setup...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help with S/C and 12psi setup...

I've finally made the decision to build up my motor and crank the boost up on the S/C. What I really need help with is reliable internals. I'm asking for help because I don't have experiance in this area of tuning but I have a friend who's ready to do the build the block up for me. Thinking of a set of JE 9:1 pistons to start with but can't find a site selling them, at least by searching. Checked their site but they don't have them posted. Just have an e-mail from them saying they released their 9:1 and 11:1 pistons. If anyone can ramble off a list of internals: pistons, rings, rods, bearings, that would be a TON of help. Maybe even a site that I can get a whole kit from. Do I need to sleeve the engine with 12psi???? Really can't put to much more through that blower. But worse come to worce, the block would be ready for a turbo if the s/c can't take it. Thanks a lot for any info.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try this link it has everything you need:
http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...cPath=23_28_80
Old 08-06-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking, and still am, about the ZPI setup. It's just some people are giving me the impression over at yoursciontc that they're not all that great. More so with costumer service then quality, but as long as they make a good product.

Now I just finished a search on this site for a 12psi pulley running on the s/c and it seems like they only got another 15whp out of it. Please tell me they went to some bigger injectors to run the extra boost. Otherwise I would think the computer would pull the timing back to keep from detonating from leaning it out. The car is fast but I just got spanked by my friends turbonetics tC not to long ago, so it's not that fast. Off the subject, he's throwuing a couple of CELs acording to the computer.

So, is it really worth it, the setup that is? I do want to make the block reliable for the long run. To sleeve or not to sleeve?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Well a sick set up would be some pistons(9:1:0) and some carillo rods and rod bearings. Put that 12 psi pulley along with 550 injectors and methanol injected as well. Highly recommend you tune it as well being the bigger injectors will be dumping fuel like crazy with the stock TRD SC reflash. Management with Greddy Emanage will get the job done. You'll wanna get in touch with guys on here like KYTC who has already taken drastic SC steps that no one else on here has. Their input would bring you closer to real world goals and results being they already know what is possible and not.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

As for ZPI I its been a rough few months for them and the situation with the Turbo kits gave them a black eye on their already amazing products and services for the tC. Truth is though they have never had problems with their products and I have ordered things on there and haven't had anything go wierd. So ZPI is a good company to get some SC work done IMO
Old 08-06-2006, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you will be alright on 11-12 psi at least for quite a while with a very safe tune and some sort of cooling such as intercooler or meth injection. However at 12 psi the only things that you will really have to build up internally will be pistons and I would suggest bearings as well as the replacement parts needed when you take off the head such as the head gasket and studs. Carillo has stated that if I remember correctly that the stock rods will be good up to 350whp but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. Sleeves should definetly not be needed at that boost level. Head work is not really needed unless you want to bump the boost level which is not highly advisable past around 7000 rpm due to the oil pump being controlled by rpms so a pump failure would be a concern. I would suggest a port and polish while you've got it apart. If I build up my block next year like I'm considering and for you as well I would suggest some custom stock 9.5:1 compression pistons (You've got a s/c that doesn't make power till about 3-4k so it needs that higher compression below that plus 9.5:1 should be safe on 12 psi) new bearings, a port and polished head, head studs and gasket.

Also just some more info, the s/c won't be physically able to go past 14 psi because that's the smallest s/c pulley that can be made and you can't make a larger crank pulley because there's a blockage that won't allow it.

That's about everything I've got but if you've got any questions pm me and I'll be glad to help you out if you go the s/c route
Old 08-06-2006, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help with S/C and 12psi setup...

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
I've finally made the decision to build up my motor and crank the boost up on the S/C. What I really need help with is reliable internals. I'm asking for help because I don't have experiance in this area of tuning but I have a friend who's ready to do the build the block up for me. Thinking of a set of JE 9:1 pistons to start with but can't find a site selling them, at least by searching. Checked their site but they don't have them posted. Just have an e-mail from them saying they released their 9:1 and 11:1 pistons. If anyone can ramble off a list of internals: pistons, rings, rods, bearings, that would be a TON of help. Maybe even a site that I can get a whole kit from. Do I need to sleeve the engine with 12psi???? Really can't put to much more through that blower. But worse come to worce, the block would be ready for a turbo if the s/c can't take it. Thanks a lot for any info.
To the contrary, Ive been doing a lil research on it... From what ive read it's a "Vortech Engineering v-5 F-trim SuperCharger capable of flowing enough air for up to 475 horsepower at 20psi."
Old 08-06-2006, 05:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^You can do it on the blower but not on our car, lol. The way the engine is designed around the crank pulley area doesn't allow you to add a bigger pulley for more boost and the smallest s/c pulley that can physically be made is 14 psi so technically you can't go over 14 psi on our car even though you can do up to 20 psi on the blower itself. I learned this from a long discussion from Mike at NST one night on aim.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I knew that, I just didnt want him to think that the S/C itself wasnt a credible product, it has plenty of potential. So on your set-up you have the smallest pulley possible right? I know you had a custom pulley made to overcome boost loss due to the extra pipe length. So technically your custom pulley is, if im not mistaken, a 14psi pulley?
Old 08-06-2006, 11:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What if we could design some kind of dual pulley/fake transmisison system. Basically make a bracket holding a dual sided pulley with two different diameters. The side that goes to the crank would be very small, the side that goes to the S/C would be larger, and then the S/C pulley itself would be small. That could open the door up a lil. It'd be hard to engineer/balance but it'd be a cool project haha.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something like this...

Old 08-06-2006, 11:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NOTE: I know the pulleys have to go waaaay more to the left... This is by no means accurate. Just look at the pulley idea itself and hopefully my point becomes more clear.

Lemme know if I confused you haha.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I see what your getting at Joe, the only thing I would be worried about like you said is pretty much balancing that thing so it woudlnt wobble as it spins and I think that would be ridiculously hard to do.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I was wondering in the SC it's self is there already a set of pulleys inside the housing?? I think if you could change that ratio then the stock pulley could be a 12 psi pulley.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

trim wheel...if you can change out the trim wheel than you would be pushing out more boost on the same pulley...but according to a certain company you cant do that...its funny cause the G trim and F trim share the same exact compressor housing, I dont get why it wouldnt be possible.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The best thing would probably be to find a way to remove the restriction on the block case that will not allow the use of a larger crank pulley. Mike from NST showed me a picture on AIM once, the timing pointer for the crank pulley on the case sticks out and does not allow a larger crank pulley to fit. If we can find a way to remove that pointer, then voila! We would be in business
Old 08-06-2006, 11:24 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Watching this progress. If your gonna do it, do it big.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for all the replies but lets not get off topic with how much boost the blower is said to make by Sport Compacts article on the s/c install. I don't want ZPI pistons because the c/r is to low, don't want to go any lower than 9:1. Now as far as a good tune, won't the reflash keep the same air and fuel mixture? I now from reading Modified Magazine that the fuel curve is setup pretty good, I think they only ajusted the timing to get more out of the midrange. Although I don't know how much credit to give them, but they probably know a lot more than me. Sounds like it's going to be fun. Might wait untill next spring though. I just get the parts here and there untill than. ZPI stage 1 head?
Old 08-07-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

stage 1 head will help.

Watching this...
Old 08-07-2006, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hpower is right about the restriction. Joe's idea about the pulleys would be interesting. I've checked with both rippmods and springfield motorsports that rebuilt the s/c said that it's not possible to change the compressor wheel, for what reason idk. And to answer so-cal yes I have the smallest physically possible wheel available for the s/c pulley and it's 14 psi. I've got to get a picture up for you guys, it will crack you up how small it is.

Quick Reply: Help with S/C and 12psi setup...