Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Help on white smoke coming from exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help on white smoke coming from exhaust...

Ok so i just had it compression tested and everything was good. I thought that the head gasket was gone, but no its not. I dont lose power when i drive the car and it pulls strong (im turboed with built motor btw).

The problem is, when the car is at stop and idling in traffic (after car is all warmed up, hot) it will puff white smoke for a couple of seconds and it would clear out again to clear exhaust smoke. Also i noticed that my coolant level decreases...but we cant find any coolant or oil leak anywhere on the engine - nothing. I know its not my water cooled and oil cooled turbo, because its brand new, just installed about a month ago. So my next suspect i think is the water pump, maybe the gasket?...which was also brand new when the engine was put together. the shop couldnt figure it out either and whats wrong or causes it. So WTF? LOL.

I just need your insights on this issue. What do you think the heck is wrong??

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member

what turbo u use?
u try check ur engine oil got reduced or not,
mostly white smoke is related to turbo catridge leaking
Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^competition turbo that i got from dezod. yeah i check the engine oil its the same level, didnt go down.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

If the smoke is light and doesn't have a sweet smell to it the seals on your turbo are toast. It's oil leaking into your downpipe causing that light white smoke, been there before.

Your coolant levels fall when the car is cool and rise when the car is warm.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

when it smokes does the smoke kinda hang ther or does it dissipate quickly
Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what you described, it souns like the seals. it happened to me too.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

When the seals on mine went the smoke would be there then dissipate but I would still see light white smoke out the exhaust, that's why my guess would be the seals.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbo seals
Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Did you say the turbo was new?
Old 01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i gather, it doesnt really matter how old the turbo is. the 2az-fe runs a pretty high oil pressure. about 80 psi from what im told. unless you run some sort of oil psi reducer on the oil feed line to the turbo, it will push oil right through your seals. ive also heard that BB turbos are more prone to this than standard JB turbos.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Ball Bearing turbos hate high oil pressure. More than standard turbos. Is it puffing white smoke after a boosted run? or any kind of boosted driving when coming to a stop? White smoke is generally coolant/water that burns off in the exhaust.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tc4Eva
White smoke is generally coolant/water that burns off in the exhaust.
Incorrect, thick white smoke is coolant. Light white as the OP is describing is oil runoff from the turbo into his downpipe. He would immediately know if it were coolant due to the sweet smell coolant gives off while burning, oil does not give the same smell.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by brett561tc
from what i gather, it doesnt really matter how old the turbo is. the 2az-fe runs a pretty high oil pressure. about 80 psi from what im told. unless you run some sort of oil psi reducer on the oil feed line to the turbo, it will push oil right through your seals. ive also heard that BB turbos are more prone to this than standard JB turbos.
x2!

An oil pressure reducer is certainly needed for BB turbo's, it is not recommended for journal bearing turbos which is who 2AZ owners that boost without a water/oil cooled turbo and opt for the journal bearing turbo's will inevitably run into blown turbo seals at some point.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Also, OP, you may not notice any oil in your downpipe when you take off your turbo simply because the oil has burned through already, this happened to me, but there was no doubt turbo seals were gone.

What you might want to try is an oil reducer before you do through the hassle of removing the turbo, etc. just to see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited by ecko04; 01-18-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your replies.

BTW the puffing white smoke doesnt dissipate right away without the wind blowing through it, it stays there for a while. I would say its thick smoke, because its almost as if you could use it as a smoke signal, LOL. Again, it doesnt blow white smoke the whole time, it clears back to clear exhaust smoke. I would drive just regularly and not go into boost and it would still puff some white smoke. Now, I couldnt tell you how of a sweet smell the smoke is, I really dont know how a sweet smoke smell, this never happened to me. But i can tell you that it doesnt smell sweet, smells like regular exhaust smoke. And the oil level hasnt gone down as far as I noticed it, just the coolant. I actually add coolant every 2 weeks now.

So WTF. the turbo was not even in my mind to think that the seals went. its freaking brand new too from dezod. But if its the oil, then why is my oil level hasnt gone down? and thats why i posted here.

Last edited by tCing_U; 01-18-2010 at 07:43 PM. Reason: to better describe the issue
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Put an oil reducer in and see what happens....

When oil pushes past the turbo seals, especially depending on the amount of time this has been going on, you will not notice a drop in oil levels. It only takes a drop of oil for it to smoke, not 3 quarts, so you won't notice a drop, at least not initially.

If you don't see a puddle of coolant and your car overheating near the pulleys then your water pump is likely fine. The condition you're describing has nothing to do with the water pump.

Your coolant levels dropping, in cold weather which I doubt you experience in Hawaii, drop when the car is cold and gradually rise when the car is warmed up. So if you're adding coolant when the car is cold and there is coolant in the overflow tank you are overfilling it.

The smell of the smoke isn't sweet, it smeels like regular exhaust gas, then that's oil, not coolant.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Competition turbos have oil restrictors built into the centre housing casting. Reference this link for more information.

http://compturbo.com/spotlight/Inside%20the%20CT3B.php

If you have a new turbo please check that your oil return line is not twisted. During tightening the inner liner can twist if you tighten it and the braided section starts to turn. Check that first as a kink or restriction here will cause a build up of oil in your turbo and lead to a leak, which is temporary, because if you fix the restriction it will stop leaking. Many turbos have been sent in like this.

If you have a coolant leak and cannot find it the best thing to do is to perform a cooling system pressure test and see where if the cooling system holds pressure if it does then you won't have any issues.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I just checked the oil return line, it didnt look twisted at all. I have a thick fat hose that goes straight down to the oil pan. looks fine, no leakage.

ok ill check for shops that do leak down test, and wait out to see if the oil level drops.

thanks again to everyone!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I put a restrictor on my T3 to4e journal bearing
Old 01-19-2010, 05:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

bro make sure ur return line isint kinked and it is going straight from ur turbo to oil pan no dips or anything..... happened to me on my old setup oil was building up in the return line

Quick Reply: Help on white smoke coming from exhaust...