Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Help on white smoke coming from exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by johnhawkins
I put a restrictor on my T3 to4e journal bearing

x2
Old 01-20-2010, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Restrictors on journal bearing is a risky move.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and why is this don almighty
Old 01-20-2010, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
and why is this don almighty
If I had to guess it's probably because journal bearing turbos have nothing to cool them but oil so when you restrict the flow of oil the turbo cannot effectively cool due to the fact that water/oil cooled turbos require less oil to cool a restrictor would not harm the turbo. However, i'm not an expert and I only stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night i'll leave it to Don.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

did u check ur return line like i said? it hapened to elevationtc also
Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ yes i checked it. i actually took it off and check the inside of the return line with a flashlight. It looked clean inside and no restriction in there. Still smoking. Doing a leak down test this weekend.

Last edited by tCing_U; 01-23-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if possible take off the turbo intake pipe and look in it and the compressor wheel, see if you see any oil residue, take the charge pipe loose from the turbo and look inside the turbo outlet and see if you see any residue. if nothing then it may be time to look at the turbine housing, sometimes if the seals on the turbine housing go out it may leak some oil around the center section. on some turbo's the bolt hole for the turbine housing thats closest to the turbine flange is drilled all the way through, if so you can remove this bolt and tell right away if the turbo is leaking oil into the turbine. so far all the turbo's that iv seen with bad seals were always on the turbine side, they seem to be the weak link. at least so far that iv noticed.

btw what have you done about the valve cover breather hose that went from valve cover to stock intake?

I agree with Don, however some cheap journal bearing turbos do require you to use a restrictor and i assume this is because their seals are not of high quality and cannot seal the higher pressures that a tc can produce. Garrett turbo's with journal bearings do not normaly require them, the reason is the oil is what seperates the shaft from the bearing keeping them from making constant contact, without the proper oil pressure you may grind the bearings down much like starving an engine of oil and the effect it has to its bearings on the crank (just an example). also you could burn what little oil is ther leaving nasty deposites of carbon that will further starve the turbo of oil by pluging up the oil passages.

here is an example of what it may look like
Name:  IMG_1602.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  83.6 KB
Name:  IMG_1607.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  174.5 KB
Name:  IMG_1613.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  118.3 KB

always follow mfg recommendations for your turbo.

some info to look at
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...imization.html
http://www.cxracing.com/service.aspx

also just from experiance iv seen garrett journal turbo's take up to 50psi without an issue. *edit i ment to say 60psi, i try not to boost until engine oil is fully warm and oil pressure is under 60psi. this is just what i do and doesnt mean its a must but it has keeped my old garrett turbo safe.

Last edited by crush02342002; 01-23-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^shouldnt the turbo be smoking also if theres any oil leak/seal broken?? At least thats what happened to my turbonetics turbo. thats why i changed it to this.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCing_U
^^shouldnt the turbo be smoking also if theres any oil leak/seal broken?? At least thats what happened to my turbonetics turbo. thats why i changed it to this.
Not always my comp turbo had a bad seal and only smoke out the exhaust
Old 01-23-2010, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCing_U
iv seen them smoke out of the tail pipe and iv seen them just let a little bit of smoke and stop which is exactly how the turbo pictured was doing.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Is there any way to clean out sludge without having to dismantle the turbo??? Like some type of oil additive that cleans out sludge???
Old 01-23-2010, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ i had the same problem around the center section, oil was coming out from the bolts.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Cwatz5219
Is there any way to clean out sludge without having to dismantle the turbo??? Like some type of oil additive that cleans out sludge???
not that im aware of, if you seen this turbo in person you would know the only thing to get that crap off is a hammer and chisel in some areas, alot of it though could have been cleaned by hand with a little carb-cleaner and wire brush but it didnt really matter since the damage had already been done on the bearings.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dave2610
Not always my comp turbo had a bad seal and only smoke out the exhaust
hmm, so would that explain why my exhaust (white smoke) doesnt smell sweet? maybe its the oil and coolant mixing in the turbo, due to broken seal and only smokes out the exhaust? Cuz i did have a compression test done - if that helps. And my Comp Turbo is oil and water cooled, maybe white smoke is originating from there?

Did you actually take apart your Comp Turbo to see if the seals went?

Last edited by tCing_U; 01-24-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
iv seen them smoke out of the tail pipe and iv seen them just let a little bit of smoke and stop which is exactly how the turbo pictured was doing.
oh and about that hose from the valve cover to the intake that you were asking. Yes its connected that way, from valve cover to the intake pipe.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same issue occuring. I am running a journal bearing turbocharger from Precision. Often times, only at startups, or extended idle, I get a puff of smoke (oil) which dissapates after just a few seconds. I am running a restrictor (1year). I checked all normal concerns, and then took off the compressor and turbine housings. Their was a hint of oil around the bolts, however not much of anything (sludge, build up) in the housings or any shaft play (although unrelated). I ran a compression test, and things seemed fine. I confused to say the least. Let you know if I get anything.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^Cool, thanks man.

I went to Midas, Firestone, and an AutoSkill shop on base...and they all said/think that it could be the headgasket that is blown and coolant leaking internally. The guy at Firestone even check my oil if its milky, and he said it looks fine (clear light brown). they prefer that i go to an actual engine repair shop, which what i was looking around all weekend.

About 3 weeks ago when i was installing the DEI heat wrap on my downpipe, i unbolted it from the turbo for ease of installation. I remember checking the turbine and there was no sign of oil in there. Not even oil around the outside. I even ask my buddy that was helping me and he said no there were no signs of oil.

So, im coming into a conclusion that its my headgasket. But ill check the compressor/turbine again when i get the time and the leak down test.

Last edited by tCing_U; 01-25-2010 at 06:30 AM. Reason: to better understand issue in detail.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally did a combustion pressure test and then a leak down test, both are good - no leaks.

I took out the downpipe to check inside of the turbine...no oil residue.

then i took out the air intake to check inside the compressor...no oil residue.

and then i finally stick my hand to reach the bottom back part of the center section (where the oil and water line plugs in on top) to see if theres any leaks. son-of-a-b!tch, i felt oil!! I guess the way this turbo is built, you could not see the back part of it and its all tight in there.

And then it started to rain again (lovely weather of hawaii). I will check and unbolt this turbo out to see where the leak is coming from next time. I still have the 1 year warranty on this turbo from Dezod/Comp Turbo and hopefully if its the seal, theyll replace it.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fresh Crew
SL Member

+1 for listening to us the 1st damn time next time. I automatically knew a head gasket was not in the equation.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ecko04
+1 for listening to us the 1st damn time next time. I automatically knew a head gasket was not in the equation.
lol yup. gotta contact dezod about this problem.

Quick Reply: Help on white smoke coming from exhaust...