Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

HELP!! Yet another s/c bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP!! Yet another s/c bites the dust...

So I currently have the infamous trd supercharger and it seems like it might be coming to an end. It's making these really horrible noises and while i'm driving it makes even weirder noises. I wish there were words to explain how weird and loud the noise sounds. This is my first s/c and currently I have a trd filter, nst 9.5 pulley, and forge splitter. I'm almost out of warranty and had this installed by a dealer almost a year ago. I think i'm pretty much screwed since trd discontinued the s/c. I was thinking of going to the route of a rebuild but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this. anyone have any advice?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: HELP!! Yet another s/c bites the dust...

Originally Posted by SCIONtific_tC
I'm almost out of warranty and had this installed by a dealer almost a year ago.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...886&highlight=
Old 03-15-2009, 07:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

For Rebuilds / repairs, search for Kikcaffine's seals and bearing replacements and Gompka's replacement hardened balanced properly sized SC shaft.

Please note also, everything and anything you do to modify your SC or engine will make TRD/ Scion / Toyota try to void your warranty. If you're not worried about that, then mod away to your hearts content

You might also want to search for Garage1217's thread on Supercharger Seal Replacement and Repair. The stock supercharger seals are inadequete.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah im planning to remove the pulley and splitter, cause the weird thing is when they installed the s/c they didnt put on the tamper proof cap. rebuilding is an alternative but i don't have a bearing press. also, i heard that when you get it installed by a dealer you have atleast a one year warranty. anyone know about that?
Old 03-15-2009, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also forgot to add i think it might be making this weird smell but the funny thing is i can still fully boost.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its a 1 year 12k mile warranty, unless u still are in your 5yr 60k powertrain warranty then the sc'er falls into that...
Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i fall into both, i wonder if they can still replace the s/c since it is discontinued.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

yeah im planning to remove the pulley and splitter, cause the weird thing is when they installed the s/c they didnt put on the tamper proof cap. rebuilding is an alternative but i don't have a bearing press. also, i heard that when you get it installed by a dealer you have atleast a one year warranty. anyone know about that?
You don't need to own a bearing press. Pep Boys, Autozone, Napa, or Kragen's sometimes have repair shops in them that have bearing presses. Usually at those autoparts stores, guys who drive 4X4's are playing with their axles and driveshafts. A machinist friend of mine says if you're pushing on or taking a bearing off a shaft, you need to push against the INNER raceway only if you can. Also, someone else has suggested the trick of heating the bearing to make the metal expand - I don't recall how or who.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

So I currently have the infamous trd supercharger and it seems like it might be coming to an end. It's making these really horrible noises and while i'm driving it makes even weirder noises. I wish there were words to explain how weird and loud the noise sounds. This is my first s/c and currently I have a trd filter, nst 9.5 pulley, and forge splitter. I'm almost out of warranty and had this installed by a dealer almost a year ago. I think i'm pretty much screwed since trd discontinued the s/c. I was thinking of going to the route of a rebuild but I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to this. anyone have any advice?
For the strange and horrible noises, are they from the blower side or pulley side? what happens if you spin the pulley by hand?

Do you know any tuner shops in your area?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
You don't need to own a bearing press. Pep Boys, Autozone, Napa, or Kragen's sometimes have repair shops in them that have bearing presses. Usually at those autoparts stores, guys who drive 4X4's are playing with their axles and driveshafts. A machinist friend of mine says if you're pushing on or taking a bearing off a shaft, you need to push against the INNER raceway only if you can. Also, someone else has suggested the trick of heating the bearing to make the metal expand - I don't recall how or who.
yeah when it comes to these bearing things i have no clue lol. but hopefully i can get my pulley and splitter off and wheel it into a dealership. anyone know how long dealerships take on these things? am i looking at days, weeks, months? i would expect that they want my car out asap.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etli
For the strange and horrible noises, are they from the blower side or pulley side? what happens if you spin the pulley by hand?

Do you know any tuner shops in your area?
so on the pulley side i can hear squeaking, and then on the s/c side i can hear like it has bad bearings hard to explain. i don't really know of any tuner shops near here. it looks like you are from mountain view, do you know of any places? it doesn't seem that far from here.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah it just sucks cause if the dealer can't replace it for any reason then im stuck cause i have no idea on rebuild plus this is my daily driving car.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just turbo it. ull never be happier
Old 03-15-2009, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

that sucks man, I told you to get it checked out days ago.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

sucks, you maybe lucky and not need the bearing press. Some do, some dont.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love how there are all of these threads about the supercharger dying or having problems, and people talking bad about them since they were discontinued...

Then there's always this:

I have a trd filter, nst 9.5 pulley, and forge splitter.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ mods made it go bad ??
Old 03-15-2009, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ack154
I love how there are all of these threads about the supercharger dying or having problems, and people talking bad about them since they were discontinued...

Then there's always this:

I have a trd filter, nst 9.5 pulley, and forge splitter.
well when i first got the s/c i had no mods on it and it was still making these weird noises just not as bad. i wanted more power so i routed to mod it anyways.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by O5_TRD_tC
that sucks man, I told you to get it checked out days ago.
i know man what do you think i should do? hopefully warranty will cover it.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scikotictc232
just turbo it. ull never be happier
yeah i would've been happy to go that route just happen to live in CA where pretty much no turbo is legal.

Quick Reply: HELP!! Yet another s/c bites the dust...