Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

HELP!! Yet another s/c bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just finishing up my SC rebuild, should have the car up and running again tomorrow, its been down for like a month and a half, I will make a thread with things/problems and solutions i came up with, including some advice and tips from Jaime over at Vortech, I should have that up by this weekend if anybody is interested.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka
Unless someone can make an oil filled chamber for the pulley bearings.
Thats funny, I couldn't sleep a few nights ago thinking about this^^^ and trying to come up with a way to do it, I think its doable, if we can find some seals like the ones that go on the output shaft that will fit perfectly at the ends of the shaft bearing housing, using your grease fitting idea, I think it will work, what do you think?
Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 AM

if you could get information on how you rebuild the sc like tear down and reassembly, that would be awesome, i don't think its on this forum yet, or at least the search options says not.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my s/c just started making a real strange sound! but only at about 3k rpm its odd but it feels like its driving the same. boost guage reads at 9.5

what do you guys think?
Old 12-25-2009, 06:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote=etli;3014918]For the strange and horrible noises, are they from the blower side or pulley side? what happens if you spin the pulley by hand?

it sounds like im having the same problem but mine is from the blower side any help or advice
Old 12-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E-WasNzVpI...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E-WasNzVpI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 12-26-2009, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cburglb34
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E-WasNzVpI...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9E-WasNzVpI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
WOW f-ed up, funny, and true
Old 05-01-2010, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Another one bites the dust... almost.

I just took in my supercharged 2006 tC. I had it installed at 42k miles, there are 53k on it now. I found it was leaking grease from the impeller housing.

The first hurdle with the dealership was convencing them it was an actual TRD part since they dealership records from where I had it installed didn't reflect at the dealership where I was having the work done. Both are Colorado Toyota dealers.

After having to fax over both purchase receipt (sparkstoyota) and the install paperwork from the dealer in Colorado Springs, they call me and apologize for the inconvenience.

They are COMPLETELY unsure of how to fix the seal so I pointed them to scionlife.com and told them about Garage1217's post https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...er+seal+repair

I can't beleive "TRD certified" techs don't even know their own products let alone how to fix them.

So I am car less until Monday and that's if they can fix it. Fortunatly both the car and the supercharger are under the extended 7yr warranty so if all else fails I get a new blower, if they can find one
Old 05-01-2010, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoccerBoy_AP
Another one bites the dust... almost.

I just took in my supercharged 2006 tC. I had it installed at 42k miles, there are 53k on it now. I found it was leaking grease from the impeller housing.

The first hurdle with the dealership was convencing them it was an actual TRD part since they dealership records from where I had it installed didn't reflect at the dealership where I was having the work done. Both are Colorado Toyota dealers.

After having to fax over both purchase receipt (sparkstoyota) and the install paperwork from the dealer in Colorado Springs, they call me and apologize for the inconvenience.

They are COMPLETELY unsure of how to fix the seal so I pointed them to scionlife.com and told them about Garage1217's post https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...er+seal+repair

I can't beleive "TRD certified" techs don't even know their own products let alone how to fix them.

So I am car less until Monday and that's if they can fix it. Fortunatly both the car and the supercharger are under the extended 7yr warranty so if all else fails I get a new blower, if they can find one
Do you have a picture of where it was leaking from? you're saying you found oil in that thing that connects to the impeller housing? the one that says TRD on it? if so that's normal, everybody gets it(its the motor blowing back oil into your intake tube), you fix it by getting an oil catch can, but it may be something else you're talking about, prob. a broken output shaft seal.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
Do you have a picture of where it was leaking from? you're saying you found oil in that thing that connects to the impeller housing? the one that says TRD on it? if so that's normal, everybody gets it(its the motor blowing back oil into your intake tube), you fix it by getting an oil catch can, but it may be something else you're talking about, prob. a broken output shaft seal.
^ i agree, ether way its likely an easy fix. pics would be nice after you get back
Old 05-03-2010, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

It's more like grease that is leaking from the impeller housing attachment to the drive shaft. The only way I noticed was because a drop of it hit my exhaust manifold and smoked white while I was parked waiting for the car to cool down.

Where I have the circle is where it was coming from.
I had been doing my morning drive to work, about 40min, mostly >60mph.

I'm still car-less, the dealer is befuddeled on how to fix it if they even can fix it...

p.s. - thats just a demo picture... not my S/C...
Old 05-03-2010, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So far everybody but Vortech has been helpful. They did not want to give me any information, they just wanted me to send in the supercharger even after I told them that a Toyota dealer is the one in need of the technical assistance. I eventually just emailed the service tech all the vortech information and he's going to try to see what needs to be done. Right now he has his parts guys searching all of Toyota for a replacement (unlikely to find one), they don't want to have to repair it for two reasons, one they don't know the supercharger or have technical documents for it also they don't have anybody who has ever played with one before.

Luckily according to Scion I do fall under warranty so I don't have to pay to get it fixed and I get a rental car!!! Which in that phone call I found out that even if you have the extended warranty (7yr/100k), the supercharger only falls under the 5yr/60k mile warranty. Which is still ok because it's much better then the Vortech warranty, they have much higher stipulations as far as what conditions it is used in for coverage.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From the picture above, it sure looks like the output shaft seal is broken, who are you talking to over there at Vortech?, I've gotten nothing but great help from a guy named Jamie, they quoted me once to rebuild the blower $350, but they will not touch the shaft side of it, so if that's still good, then you only have to worry about the blower, good luck and hope you get your problem resolved soon, but don't hold your breath.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I don't remember, it was a fairly brief call.
I just asked for part numbers for seals on a V-5 F trim and I was immediately told that I need to send the unit in if there is repair work that needs to be done. I told them it's part of the TRD kit for the car and Toyota techs need the parts numbers or at least a schematic and again was told repairs need to go to Vortech.

He wasn't rude, just to the point and brief.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Well my baby is back in operational order. Dealers completely swapped the supercharger and drive setup. I now have a 2nd generation S/C with the stupid tamper proof bolt. I was able to talk to the tech who did the work and see the difference in the model of the kit. It appears that on the new one with a better shaft enclosure that TRD knew they were having problems with seals in the area and beefed up the containment parts.

I only have 7k left on the warranty... so I bought one of Gompka's rebuild kits (new shaft, bearings etc) for when the warranty expires and I start swapping parts out.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:10 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoccerBoy_AP
Well my baby is back in operational order. Dealers completely swapped the supercharger and drive setup. I now have a 2nd generation S/C with the stupid tamper proof bolt. I was able to talk to the tech who did the work and see the difference in the model of the kit. It appears that on the new one with a better shaft enclosure that TRD knew they were having problems with seals in the area and beefed up the containment parts.
Welcome to redesigned 05/06 SC club. So far I havent found a single report of pulley side bearings failing on these new units. However, there has been one dude with the new SC thats been dealing with leaking seals on the blower end, so its not perfect. Im a little confused as to why ur sig says u have an 06 tc with an 07 SC. This new one is an 05-06 model with a redesigned shaft housing, triangual bolt pressure plates and possibly (but not proven) stronger pulley side bearings. Its in no way an 07 model. There are major differences from the blower to the pulley. I am glad the dealer put up little resistence in getting u a new charger. Congrats.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciMeiji
Welcome to redesigned 05/06 SC club. So far I havent found a single report of pulley side bearings failing on these new units. However, there has been one dude with the new SC thats been dealing with leaking seals on the blower end, so its not perfect. Im a little confused as to why ur sig says u have an 06 tc with an 07 SC. This new one is an 05-06 model with a redesigned shaft housing, triangual bolt pressure plates and possibly (but not proven) stronger pulley side bearings. Its in no way an 07 model. There are major differences from the blower to the pulley. I am glad the dealer put up little resistence in getting u a new charger. Congrats.
Actually the only thing that is different on this "new/better" redesign SC kit is: the shaft tube housing and the triangular bolt pressure plates as you called them, other then that, the rest is still the same, including the actual shaft inside and pulley side bearings, I've taken it apart before and gompka has verified that there was nothing different to it then the previous model.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
Actually the only thing that is different on this "new/better" redesign SC kit is: the shaft tube housing and the triangular bolt pressure plates as you called them, other then that, the rest is still the same, including the actual shaft inside and pulley side bearings, I've taken it apart before and gompka has verified that there was nothing different to it then the previous model.
Thats too bad. Ive never takin it apart before so ill take u and gompkas word for it. Im curious, are the bearings in the pulley side of the 07-09 SC the same as the 05-06 as well?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SciMeiji
Thats too bad. Ive never takin it apart before so ill take u and gompkas word for it. Im curious, are the bearings in the pulley side of the 07-09 SC the same as the 05-06 as well?
As far as I know, yes they are.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Did anyone ever have #1 cyl lose compression with S/C?

I had Toyota replace one shortblock and one supercharger. It was drinking a quart every 300 miles and smoking under accel, when I checked compression #1 had 75psi. The new motor lasted 15K, then it too started smoking & burning oil. That's the one on my engine stand now. The crappy part is the S/C was getting noisy, so I bought a new one right before it crapped #1. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and what you did to resolve it. I might use this 2AZ in another project, but after reading some of the threads, the S/Cs seem to suck in general. I have a feeling that TRD's tuning was way too rich at WOT and washed the oil from the cylinder walls. I haven't torn this one apart yet...

Quick Reply: HELP!! Yet another s/c bites the dust...