Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

HELP!! Yet another s/c bites the dust...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by SciMeiji
Im a little confused as to why ur sig says u have an 06 tc with an 07 SC.
Because you just confirmed what I thought was true but you figure you can take a certified car tech for his word .... or am I just that gullable?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoccerBoy_AP
Because you just confirmed what I thought was true but you figure you can take a certified car tech for his word .... or am I just that gullable?
Haha, glad i could help.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by myotorsports
I had Toyota replace one shortblock and one supercharger. It was drinking a quart every 300 miles and smoking under accel, when I checked compression #1 had 75psi. The new motor lasted 15K, then it too started smoking & burning oil. That's the one on my engine stand now. The crappy part is the S/C was getting noisy, so I bought a new one right before it crapped #1. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and what you did to resolve it. I might use this 2AZ in another project, but after reading some of the threads, the S/Cs seem to suck in general. I have a feeling that TRD's tuning was way too rich at WOT and washed the oil from the cylinder walls. I haven't torn this one apart yet...
I was wondering the same thing about the TRD tune being too rich at WOT. I also had my short block replaced recently and even tho they told me there was a undersized piston ring issue causeing the piston slap scoring i still felt that the richness of the tune was washing my cylinder walls causing the rings to create more friction inturn wearing em down enough to cause the slap. The scoring also caued me to burn about a quart a week in oil.

So this brings me to another question, would 9.5 pulley actually be benificial in that its leaning some of that richness out at WOT?
Old 05-11-2010, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was wondering the same thing about the TRD tune being too rich at WOT. I also had my short block replaced recently and even tho they told me there was a undersized piston ring issue causeing the piston slap scoring i still felt that the richness of the tune was washing my cylinder walls causing the rings to create more friction inturn wearing em down enough to cause the slap. The scoring also caued me to burn about a quart a week in oil.

So this brings me to another question, would 9.5 pulley actually be benificial in that its leaning some of that richness out at WOT?
I don't think it would add enough air to balance that- no O2 correction @ WOT, so the tuning is critical. That BSer Bob@TRD "no known issues"
Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 PM
SL Member

That BSer Bob@TRD "no known issues"
Ha... He would.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gwtc
Actually the only thing that is different on this "new/better" redesign SC kit is: the shaft tube housing and the triangular bolt pressure plates as you called them, other then that, the rest is still the same, including the actual shaft inside and pulley side bearings, I've taken it apart before and gompka has verified that there was nothing different to it then the previous model.
dont forget only one idler pulley, 05-06 has two
Old 05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I did have to mess with the tech and ask him if he could put the non tamper style pulley assembly back on. He just gave me the "are you serious" look and I said the tamper bolt is easily defeated so you might as well just not waste my time with it.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That BSer Bob@TRD "no known issues"
Don't even want to get started talking about those people, they have no souls. Anyway the 9.5 pulley would help you, but an fic or emange is the only real fix, and you would need to go back to an na ecu. The new shafts are still no full proof, the bearings are the same, the shaft is slightly different in dimensions and thats about it. As Guillermo, gwtc, said he has replaced his already ;)

BTW after running the s/c and then going to a turbo, i soon found out my piston rings were toast, I was burning a lot of oil while I had the s/c with 9.5psi pulley and TuRD tune.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had Toyota replace one shortblock and one supercharger. It was drinking a quart every 300 miles and smoking under accel, when I checked compression #1 had 75psi. The new motor lasted 15K, then it too started smoking & burning oil. That's the one on my engine stand now. The crappy part is the S/C was getting noisy, so I bought a new one right before it crapped #1. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and what you did to resolve it. I might use this 2AZ in another project, but after reading some of the threads, the S/Cs seem to suck in general. I have a feeling that TRD's tuning was way too rich at WOT and washed the oil from the cylinder walls. I haven't torn this one apart yet...
I may be having that problem now, but I need to do a compression test to verify.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CLT-tc
dont forget only one idler pulley, 05-06 has two
I was referring to the redesigned 05-06 SC, but not a bad idea on clarifying it for others.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by gompka
Don't even want to get started talking about those people, they have no souls. Anyway the 9.5 pulley would help you, but an fic or emange is the only real fix, and you would need to go back to an na ecu. The new shafts are still no full proof, the bearings are the same, the shaft is slightly different in dimensions and thats about it. As Guillermo, gwtc, said he has replaced his already ;)

BTW after running the s/c and then going to a turbo, i soon found out my piston rings were toast, I was burning a lot of oil while I had the s/c with 9.5psi pulley and TuRD tune.

I don't want to run 9.5 until I can have the FMIC, that way in the end it will be a cool/stable 7.5psi. And before that happens I need to get my emanage blue in and get it running a nice tune, then we'll go from there.

I'm not trying to beat the 311hp s/c tC... well not right now.
Double stock wheel hp (280) is fine with me, that way I won't have to start ripping the engine apart to replace stock internals.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:46 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by gompka

So the AEM FIC and emanage wont work with the TuRD tune? I really dont wanna find a stock ECU so do u think ill be good with a Unichip pretuned for the SC with the 9.5 pulley?
Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

really dont wanna find a stock ECU so do u think ill be good with a Unichip pretuned for the SC with the 9.5 pulley?
i had the same question, i believe AZguy has before and after ratios for the unichip tune