Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

hey supercharger guys what size exhaust are you running?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by One-Nut_McGee
I always struggle with this statement. I understand and for the most part agree, but at the same time I can see the appeal of the supercharger. Not everyone is looking for the power levels, not everyone hits the track, and not everyone is looking for the relatively higher cost associated with a turbo kit over a supercharger setup.

For a daily driven car not looking to go insane with the boost, not planning on doing serious track duty and just looking for a little extra punch, I think the S/C is a great call for the price and availability. Minor potential failures aside, a turbo has just as many potential problems associated with it.

Not trying to start a S/C vs. Turbo argument as that has been well and truly beaten to death by us all here; just voicing my thoughts.

I understand where you could be coming from, but I think you overlooked a few key points. Turbo does not equate to a track ready-high horsepower car. There are an abundant of daily driven turbo tC's (more than likely an abundant more than there are S/C). Just because a person has a turbo on it does not mean that he is looking to be insane with boost and doing track days on a regular. The "high cost" of a turbo kit over the S/C is not there either as both systems are priced nearly the same. Availability? I am not sure what you mean as the S/C is no longer produced or sold for the tC.

As you mentioned the turbo could have just as many potential problems as the S/C.....so why would you want to deal with headaches over the less efficient system than over the one that's actually worth the headache? Kind of a no brainer if you ask me.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Im running a dc style header, oem mid pipe modified with a magnaflow hi-flow cat, and magnaflow magnapack resonator, and was running a hks hi-power exhaust but just bought atrd axleback.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sako
trd for me as of now ith a mmw header, injen intake AEM FIC and a 9 pound pulley.. but yeah the main difference maker is the damn header when it comes to noise.. ikinda sound like a honda now
thats why i was thinking i could do stock exhaust mani with the 3" but it doesnt make much sense to have all that constriction then wide open after the s... and sounding like a 95 civic is my biggest fear

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Now we just need to talk you out of a Supercharger and go turbo instead. S/C = Fail. Turbo + 3inch is where you need to be.
if i could do it all again i would, but selling this thing would be a BIG p.i.t.a. + 4-5 grand for the turbo set up i cant reall do that now. there are still a few more things to bump up my hp a little when i feel the need; 12lb pulley, water meth, and re-tune

Regarding universal mufflers and resonators, you can pretty much go with whomever has the best combination of prices, brand name that you like, and over all look. Some companies that everything you're looking for are Magnaflow, Borla, Flowmaster, etc. I think Vibrant might make that stuff too and they're also a good name. Click around a little on their sites and see which ones look/sound the best (sometimes they have sound clips, no promises though).

Glad you're reading Mediocre! I don't have enough time to write 2 posts per week anymore so I'll likely only be doing 1 per week nowadays, but there are plenty of back issues and articles to skim through if you're bored.

I always struggle with this statement. I understand and for the most part agree, but at the same time I can see the appeal of the supercharger. Not everyone is looking for the power levels, not everyone hits the track, and not everyone is looking for the relatively higher cost associated with a turbo kit over a supercharger setup.

For a daily driven car not looking to go insane with the boost, not planning on doing serious track duty and just looking for a little extra punch, I think the S/C is a great call for the price and availability. Minor potential failures aside, a turbo has just as many potential problems associated with it.

Not trying to start a S/C vs. Turbo argument as that has been well and truly beaten to death by us all here; just voicing my thoughts.
i was looking at Vibrant last night, their products look nice. i have never been a big fan of megan but i like their m-gt muffler
http://www.erzperformance.com/Megan_Racing_M_GT_Muffler_2_5_inch_p/mu-mgt.htm

anne told me about it a while ago but i didnt give it a look till last week and im glad i did. it sounds alot like some of my opinions GO S. KOREA!

agreed with the above and its my first time boosting so i went with the dealer install and under warranty

Originally Posted by SoccerBoy_AP
I am so glad I just read this thread.... and almost blew my speaker system listening to draxcalibers exhaust videos.

I was thinking of going to the 4-2-1 header with the 3" p-tuning... help with the supercharger flow, but not at the cost of being rediculiously loud and costing over a grand.
same here i couldnt believe how load it was. what header were you thinking of going with? also i have been following your progress with your build, good luck.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OP,

I believe we may have spoken over the phone before.

As a tuner here at PTUNING, my daily grind is obviously tuning cars, many of which happen to be tC's. I've seen just about every combination SC/Turbocharger/Nitrous, NA etc. on a tC.

Whether you decide to go with our 3" exhaust or or not, have you considered running a 3" s-back exhaust with the factory exhaust manifold/header rather than a 2.5" s-back with an aftermarket header?

Most headers on a tC will result in a ridiculous amount of rasp. By the time you've welded on enough resonators to your 2.5" exhaust system to contain the rasp, you will most likely lose what little power you've gain by going with a header. Just something to consider.

- Toan
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand where you could be coming from, but I think you overlooked a few key points. Turbo does not equate to a track ready-high horsepower car. There are an abundant of daily driven turbo tC's (more than likely an abundant more than there are S/C). Just because a person has a turbo on it does not mean that he is looking to be insane with boost and doing track days on a regular. The "high cost" of a turbo kit over the S/C is not there either as both systems are priced nearly the same. Availability? I am not sure what you mean as the S/C is no longer produced or sold for the tC.

As you mentioned the turbo could have just as many potential problems as the S/C.....so why would you want to deal with headaches over the less efficient system than over the one that's actually worth the headache? Kind of a no brainer if you ask me.
i hear what you are saying but as far as availability i got mine when it was dealer over the counter and not so much negativity associated with it, back when i thought trd synonymous with quality

Originally Posted by b52hDUNN
Im running a dc style header, oem mid pipe modified with a magnaflow hi-flow cat, and magnaflow magnapack resonator, and was running a hks hi-power exhaust but just bought atrd axleback.
how do you like your resonator? and why did you get the trd axel-back, were you having noise issues?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CLT-tc
...sounding like a 95 civic is my biggest fear

i was looking at Vibrant last night, their products look nice. i have never been a big fan of megan but i like their m-gt muffler
http://www.erzperformance.com/Megan_Racing_M_GT_Muffler_2_5_inch_p/mu-mgt.htm
Keep in mind that sound from your exhaust can be changed by a few things, specifically resonators (a 4cyl's best friend), Cats, and obviously the muffler. Find a muffler you like in the style/price range and then work out the rest with the muffler shop. They'll have ideas on how to get it all to sound close to what you're looking for.

anne told me about it a while ago but i didnt give it a look till last week and im glad i did. it sounds alot like some of my opinions GO S. KOREA!
Very glad you like it man. I still think pretty funny it's that I know you now through some random interaction with Anne's company and mine, haha. I've been really impressed with what S.Korea has been putting out recently, figured it'd be worth the post.

agreed with the above and its my first time boosting so i went with the dealer install and under warranty
I'm confused by this statement...how did you get the dealer install and warranty? Was this a brand new S/C kit that they had left over in stock or is this used? I'm sure you can get someone to install the kit for much cheaper than a dealer will do it for you (you'll only get the 12mo/12k mile warranty if you DIY). If you need help, let me know.

Rhythm, I'm going to seperate my responses so as to not totally hijack Chris' thread.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm terrible at getting my point across via text so stick with me here while I try to get my point out without making a novel over-explaining myself.

I'm not entirely trying to say that a turbo automatically makes you "race" instead of "street," but I was taking what you said (perhaps erroneously) as an invitation to go bigger. For a lot of people bigger isn't useful as they're just DDs and live life within the 0-60 margin and rarely go outside of that. I agree with your point that turbo doesn't automatically mean "race," but I was just trying to say that CLT-tc's choice was within the scale and scope of what I think (I could be wrong) his use of the car is going to be.

Obviously there are quite a few people that are turbocharged, especially on this forum, but I don't think we have enough data to say that there are more T/C'd cars than there are S/C'd cars. I tried to find some sales numbers for the S/C, but only looked quickly and don't have enough time to actually research the matter. As there is no simple or trustworthy way of gathering this info I suppose we'll have to agree to leave it only as a point of observational assumption from a limited sample size.

Cost is a relative conversation actually, so I partially cede that point to a certain degree. There are typically more parts to a turbo setup than a S/C setup and while that might be a nominal difference the more things there are that could be broken or need replacing drive cost. Again, this is something of a moot conversation as prices of used parts have closed the delta between T/C and S/C kits, but still of interest in the grand scheme of things when taking full stock of current and future costs associated to the forced induction path.

Availability I suppose is the wrong word for the situation as you already pointed out that it's discontinued. I meant that you can go to the classified section of this site alone and fine a good number of complete TRD Supercharger kits for sale for anywhere from ~700-1200. While you can certainly find the same number of turbo kits for sale at the same time - and even some for around the same price range - you are typically into a "custom" or pieced together kit when you get down that low.

While awesome deals can be had on those kits for those that do their own work or are willing to deal with fitment, repair, or replacement troubles...not everyone is that capable/willing/funded. While the supercharger is still used, it's a kit that you know fits and is pretty easy to track down replacement parts for that you also know will fit. You can certainly buy complete used turbo kits from the big three (Descendant, Dezod, Ptuning) with everything in them, but you'll have sailed way over the relative cost of just going with the S/C.

so why would you want to deal with headaches over the less efficient system than over the one that's actually worth the headache? Kind of a no brainer if you ask me.
"Worth the headache" I'm glad you said that. This is the crux of the S/C vs T/C argument to me. "Worth" is a relative term and what's "worth it" to me might be insane to you or vice versa. Chris already mentioned he'd rather have gone Turbo over S/C so I suppose we're talking for the sake of it, but not everyone has the same goals, needs, budget, or even intangible preferences. "Worth" is the only element that cannot be agreed upon in this case as it's clear that while some (me, for sake of discussion) think the S/C is worth the time/effort/money, others (you, for sake of discussion) think the S/C is NOT worth it.

I think I might've over explained what I was originally intending on being a short response, but hopefully I've gotten the point across.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Chris! Let me know if you want me to break this down and bring it to PMs so we don't clutter your thread too much.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

i hear what you are saying but as far as availability i got mine when it was dealer over the counter and not so much negativity associated with it, back when i thought trd synonymous with quality

how do you like your resonator? and why did you get the trd axel-back, were you having noise issues?
that magnaflow mangapack completely got rid of the rasp. love it!
HKS is a little too loud for my DD.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuning_tuner
OP,

By the time you've welded on enough resonators to your 2.5" exhaust system to contain the rasp, you will most likely lose what little power you've gain by going with a header. Just something to consider.

- Toan
Has this been tested? I am also looking into getting an exhaust and live in SoCal so I can't have anything too loud. I also can't legally change anything but the axle-back, but would like to do axle+header or full 2.5" catback. I would also need to swap when it's smog time and would want it to be easy to do so.

Sorry to thread jack op, but to add to the suggestions, have you looked into mandrel exhaust systems?
Old 08-06-2010, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ptuning_tuner
OP,

I believe we may have spoken over the phone before.

As a tuner here at PTUNING, my daily grind is obviously tuning cars, many of which happen to be tC's. I've seen just about every combination SC/Turbocharger/Nitrous, NA etc. on a tC.

Whether you decide to go with our 3" exhaust or or not, have you considered running a 3" s-back exhaust with the factory exhaust manifold/header rather than a 2.5" s-back with an aftermarket header?

Most headers on a tC will result in a ridiculous amount of rasp. By the time you've welded on enough resonators to your 2.5" exhaust system to contain the rasp, you will most likely lose what little power you've gain by going with a header. Just something to consider.

- Toan
ya that was what i was planning after i had talked to you then i started this post to get some more opinions and most everyone said it would sound terrible
Old 08-06-2010, 04:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm confused by this statement...how did you get the dealer install and warranty? Was this a brand new S/C kit that they had left over in stock or is this used? I'm sure you can get someone to install the kit for much cheaper than a dealer will do it for you (you'll only get the 12mo/12k mile warranty if you DIY). If you need help, let me know.

Rhythm, I'm going to seperate my responses so as to not totally hijack Chris' thread.
i got my sc new in 07 from toyota scion of olympia, i had them install it so it came with the dealer install warranty. i was just letting you know why i went with the sc back then.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Chris! Let me know if you want me to break this down and bring it to PMs so we don't clutter your thread too much.
its cool i dont mind reading it i get to read soooo much crap about how the sc sucks its good to hear a turbo owner sticking up for us

Originally Posted by syberspyder
Has this been tested? I am also looking into getting an exhaust and live in SoCal so I can't have anything too loud. I also can't legally change anything but the axle-back, but would like to do axle+header or full 2.5" catback. I would also need to swap when it's smog time and would want it to be easy to do so.

Sorry to thread jack op, but to add to the suggestions, have you looked into mandrel exhaust systems?
the .com?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is a pic from mandrelexhaustsystems.com tc kit, imo there are way too many bends involved with their system thats why im trying to get rid of my trd
Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

imo there are way too many bends involved with their system thats why im trying to get rid of my trd
This is what I was referring to. I agree with the too many bends concern, however I am looking for a OE type exhaust, the Magnaflow catback has less bends with a same side in/out muffler, but is a lot more expensive.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ well if you want to buy my trd let me know
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just thought id put my 2 cents in I have a 06 Scion SC on 9 PSI
Dc header and SRS 2.5 full System the amount of rasp is so BAD im really unhappy with how th car sounds idk what to do maybe ill change the tip see if that helps if not I think ill have to go 3in