Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Highest HP on stock auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Highest HP on stock auto tranny

Hey, I have an 07 auto tc and am thinking about putting the turbo in. (probably dezod). I'm just wondering what people have or have seen with numbers safely running on the stock AUTO tranny. I know its not nearly as high as a stick but still want to see if I can get some good power safe. I looked at levelten performance but their upgrades are pretty damn pricey (I would be better off buying a new car). If the numbers r low i may unfortunately have to sell my baby and pick up a bmw 135i as that car is all around. Since i don't really want to do this though your help is appreciated!
Old 10-18-2008, 01:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

x2 on that. cept i have 08. dont think that changes much.

watching...
Old 10-18-2008, 02:23 PM
SL Member

Plan on putting aside some money before you do anything for some upgraded internals anyways. You can not see any real large power boosts on an auto tranny without upgrading your internals.

Learning this the hard way in my auto

GL i'm sure there are more guys on here with better info than me.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search people! but the max on a stock auto tranny is 250whp!
Old 10-18-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Wow only 250? boo

What if you add an exhaust?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:30 PM
SL Member

It doesn't matter if you add an exhaust or other stuff. The tranny will only take 250whp before it starts slipping. You can run the turbo at 12psi or something, but it's just going to destroy the tranny.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Should of just gotten a 5 speed to begin with.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Illusion
Wow only 250? boo

What if you add an exhaust?
ahhahahhaah
Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

240-250whp will initially run safe for the auto tranny but it will start slipping sooner than later with a turbo. s/c'd on the other hand will be much less stress on the tranny. my tranny is stock and runs perfectly.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I would say 318's tC before he swapped to manual
Old 10-19-2008, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm going to start modifying my auto tranny this winter.I'm going to modify the valve body first.I'm starting to get the info on it a little at a time.Once I do it and it works I'll explain what I did to help others on the forum.Valve body work should be cheap.Someplace's charger like 600 to modify it for you.I have some experience rebuilds tranny's in the past just not front wheel drive imports.So I'm trying to learn what I need to do.I have seen a picture of a valve body pulled apart and the pieces replaced.Shouldn't take more than an afternoon in the garage and probably $50 to $100 dollars in parts.That will help with the slipping a little bit and improve shift times alot. The next step for me will be a complete rebuild less the wave springs.With high performance clutches and steals this is where you will really minimize slippage and be able to really put some power down.It will probably shift a little quicker but put more shock to the rest of the drive train like the axles.While its out i plan on going with a billet torge converter alittle smaller in size and a little bit better of a stall speed.The reduced weight and size will free up some of the lost horse power you lose with an auto trans and rev a little fatser.Kinda like replacing the fly wheel to a lighter one with a manual.The stall speed will help you launch of the line a little quicker only if the rest of your car is built right to work together with it all.Total cost for me to do it all myself will probably be around $1200 -1600 .A little salty yeah but it will be worth it in the end.Might be a little faster than a manual if not pretty close.We dont have the gearing they do but our shift time will be almost nothing once all this is done.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ that sounds good.. i just spent 5 grand getting my professionally done by LevelTen.. lol

I made 242whp 246 wtq at 6 psi and my tranny went in about 8k miles of boost. it wasnt cool. lol.

god knows i coulda just sent it up to 12 psi for a dyno run and blown the tranny on the dyno tho lol..
Old 10-19-2008, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
^^ that sounds good.. i just spent 5 grand getting my professionally done by LevelTen.. lol

I made 242whp 246 wtq at 6 psi and my tranny went in about 8k miles of boost. it wasnt cool. lol.

god knows i coulda just sent it up to 12 psi for a dyno run and blown the tranny on the dyno tho lol..
I'm s/c i run 9.5 of boost.I really cant do anymore engine mods on the s/c tune, but i dont think my tranny can handle anymore either.I have 70,000 miles on my car.I been s/c for 8,000 miles of those.It will be time to do something soon before i get crazy with my engine.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much can it sustain now? Like how much HP since the build.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would recommend a S/C for the original poster, if your not gonna build your tranny like SOflo or vulgar
Old 10-19-2008, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Superchargers are a waste of money! Especially on an auto. The power they make sucks. I know because I had one.

I switched to a dezod turbo kit for my auto and the torque is what kills the auto tranny. NOT the horsepower. I only ran 5psi and made 230whp/249wtq and if I launched the car, the tranny would slip. Other wise it held strong.

But 250hp/tq is the most you want to run on a stock auto tranny. And I think its better to get a different car or do a manual swap instead of building your auto tranny

And if you havnt had a supercharger or a turbocharger on your auto... Then dont give people advice as to what they should do! The only time i would recommend the supercharger is if you get pulled over all the time in CA due to the cops being complete d!cks about modded cars there.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have trying to get feedback from people but no one seems to be able give any to me. Does anyone know how good it is to get the Valve body upgrade?? Is it worth the $600?? How much more power can the tranny hold??
Thanks,
Chris
Old 10-19-2008, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 1CLNTC

How much can it sustain now? Like how much HP since the build.
mine is good for like 400whp.. the higher u go the more money it cost.

im not really looking to pass 400 whp in this car anyway..
Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what kind of abuse did you give it in those 8k miles?
Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a supercharger on my auto not a waste at all.Its got some real power.

Quick Reply: Highest HP on stock auto tranny