Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

HKS or GReddy Turbo Timer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HKS or GReddy Turbo Timer?

HKS Turbo Timer:

HKS’ Turbo Timer Type-1 is a full featured Turbo Timer that combines all the features of the Turbo Timer Type-0 with added monitoring and metering functions such as RPM, time to speed/distance, peak hold & warning features and a stopwatch for lap times.

Turbo Timer Type-1 includes all of the Type-0 features, PLUS several measurement tools including a speed warning display, a two-stage engine RPM warning display, 0-400 meter acceleration time measurement and stopwatch features for lap timing.
GReddy Turbo Timer:

full auto timer, volts, attack, stopwatch

The basic function of our Turbo Timer is to allow the vehicle to idle the engine, for a timed period, with the ignition key removed. This allows the engine oil and turbo center cartridge to cool down and prevent internal turbo damage.

The new GReddy Full Auto Timers pack tons of features in one economical, compact unit. In addition to two standard programmable count down presents (P-1, P-2) our timer also has two Auto Timer modes,(A-L, A-H) which estimates the driving RPM according to the vehicles alternator signal and then recommends a count down time. And now there is a Stopwatch/Lap Time mode, and Attack mode. There is also a built in Voltmeter and Speedometer. Still standard are the optional Parking Brake and Speedo Safety hook-ups.
Now price are about the same, so thats not a problem. What I wanted was the GReddy TT because I have the front and rear strut bars so I wanted to keep it branded, but I saw rythmnsmoke HKS TT and saw the 1/4 reading, its rev type/tach imitation light and fell in love with it. I wanted to know if the GReddy TT can do the same or not. It says it has a attack mode and stopwatch mode, is that similar to the HKS 1/4 reading and does it have the rev limit/tach light display like the HKS. As of right now I'm leaning towards the HKS unit, but if the GReddy can do the same, I'd rather get the GReddy. Anybody with experience on both of these units please chime in.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Not that I'm biased or anything, since I have the HKS Type-1, but I've did some digging around for you, and I can't find anywhere that it states that the GReddy will do all the things the HKS can. It seems to be lacking in features next to the HKS which you are right, go for the same price.

Then again, it does not DEFINE....the words "Time Attack" mode. I would assume the "Stopwatch" would act like the 0-60, 60ft, 1/4th, and 1/8th measurements. But it's uncertain on exactly how it functions, as the features have such BROAD terms associated with it, unlike the HKS unit. You know EXACTLY what you are getting, as it labels and describes/defines the features does.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just get a cheap TT that does the function, then get a Pocket PC and Flux display for unichip.

Performance calculation and display:

# Flux will calculate, display, record, and export data of horsepower and torque from 2000 rpm through engine red line.
# Flux will display a drag strip Christmas tree light sequence and then calculate, display, record, and export reaction time, 60-foot time, elapsed time, and trap speed.
# Flux will calculate, display, record, and export 0-60 mph time, 0-100 mph time, 0-60-0 time, 0-100-0 time.

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products...roductID=67896
Old 06-08-2006, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Just get a cheap TT that does the function, then get a Pocket PC and Flux display for unichip.

Performance calculation and display:

# Flux will calculate, display, record, and export data of horsepower and torque from 2000 rpm through engine red line.
# Flux will display a drag strip Christmas tree light sequence and then calculate, display, record, and export reaction time, 60-foot time, elapsed time, and trap speed.
# Flux will calculate, display, record, and export 0-60 mph time, 0-100 mph time, 0-60-0 time, 0-100-0 time.

http://www.4wheelonline.com/Products...roductID=67896

The Drag strip function...

1/4th?
1/8th?

Or both?
Old 06-08-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Ok DTRUONG, I found the GReddy manual for their TT.

The Attack Mode seems to have several modes incorporated:

0-200M Mode = 1/8th mile

0-400M Mode = 1/4th mile

200-400M Mode

0-100 km/h Mode

0-200 km/h Mode

50-100 km/h Mode

However, it does not appear to have an RPM Warning indicator function, that doubles as a shift light. It has a speed warning function, but not an RPM one. That seems to be the only thing missing from the GReddy unit. To make up for that, it has a few other slightly different features than the HKS unit.

The GReddy unit seems to be focused more on Track/Curcuit type racing.

And the HKS unit seems to be more suitable for the Drag Strip.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the HKS Type 1, havent set it up yet tho but i got a realy good price on it.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcholic
i have the HKS Type 1, havent set it up yet tho but i got a realy good price on it.

I know what you mean, it took me a good 2-3weeks before playing with our Type-1. But once you get to playing with it, it's a neat little tool, to help you in actually improving your driving skills.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
The Drag strip function...

1/4th?
1/8th?

Or both?
1/4 at least, Got the info on the Flux Display here...
http://www.performanceproducts4truck...+Power+Display

Thanks to Bluetooth wireless technology, you can adjust engine tuning, PnP settings, display engine data and even capture 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, horsepower, and torque numbers from anywhere in the vehicle. Unichip puts power in the palm of your hand.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Ok DTRUONG, I found the GReddy manual for their TT.

The Attack Mode seems to have several modes incorporated:

0-200M Mode = 1/8th mile

0-400M Mode = 1/4th mile

200-400M Mode

0-100 km/h Mode

0-200 km/h Mode

50-100 km/h Mode

However, it does not appear to have an RPM Warning indicator function, that doubles as a shift light. It has a speed warning function, but not an RPM one. That seems to be the only thing missing from the GReddy unit. To make up for that, it has a few other slightly different features than the HKS unit.

The GReddy unit seems to be focused more on Track/Curcuit type racing.

And the HKS unit seems to be more suitable for the Drag Strip.
thanks for the info, so set on thhe HKS one...
Old 06-09-2006, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i have the HKS one on my eclipse and it's a great turbo timer
Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: HKS or GReddy Turbo Timer?

Originally Posted by DTRUONG_112

GReddy Turbo Timer:
Thats a boost controller, not turbo timer. I am going to look into the greddy unit.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I have both the Bspec-II Boost controller and the Greddy Turbo timer. Got a killer deal for 250 for both so I was all over it. As for the better Turbo timer, the HKS one is better in my opinon.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ordered an HKS Type-0 yesterday,...