Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

HKS WASTEGATE ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HKS WASTEGATE ? ?

Hey there I have figured out what I want to do with my set up. I was contemplating selling it but I think I am going to keep most of it. I have not found a manifold that is sexier than the EL V2.1 from turbo toyotas. The inter cooler piping on the other hand has to go. Before purchasing a tial wastegate I was wondering If anyone has heard anything about the HKS wastegates ? I was thinking bout running the standard wastegate from HKS. I am not planning on boosting till I have either an AEM EMS or HYDRA stand alone. here are a few links of the waste gates I am considering.
http://www.advancedjdmparts.com/prod...cat=793&page=1
http://www.maperformance.com/hks-40m..._campaign=BROI

the last one is the best price I have found and most likely the one I will go with. I know I have to either make an adapter piece or cut and weld the new flange on to my manifold. That is not a problem though. I am going to just build my car right the first time and probably build a clean show car / track car.I have to buy the lip kit and some exterior parts so the car can get painted while I am at Wyo tech. I just purchased a carbon Ti muffler for my custom 3 inch exhaust. I have the HKS SSQV, and plan on buying the hks coilovers and going hks all the way. I have a year and 3 months to finish this project so I have the time. let me know if there are any problems on running any of these waste gates.
thanks for your time.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I can't say I've seen anyone use a HKS wastegate before. They look kinda rough. You ever think about going with a synapse wg? From the reviews they look pretty badass.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^x2
I've heard nothing but good things about Synapse.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ya I have thought bout it but would rather try something new. I always see the HKS waste gates on higher end cars with around the same power goals as mine. I am not looking for something intense but I figure if I ever blew my motor , ( knock on wood ) I would definitely build it for higher horsepower than I would run into the engine management problem and would want to get the most out of it so it will lead me to a stand alone. Figured If I got all the parts that I would want on a built motor and run them on my stock motor till I upgrade I wont have to budget a build down the road cause I will already have everything.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

im not a fan of the design.. but works well then good.. just havent heard of them much.. tial still is the most popular.. the price is too much for something without much reviews
Old 07-15-2009, 07:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the drift community swears by them around here. I have seen them on a few Evos , mazdas and I saw a sick s15 this weekend with one that was fast ___ hell.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why not just use the TiAL?
Old 07-15-2009, 08:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Want to be different. HKS is one of the oldest companies in this industry and one of the companies that I have always looked up to for building some of the most insane cars in the world. I am about to order HKS coilovers and I just bought an HKS Ti for my turbo back exhaust. I have the HkS SSQV in the limited black. So why not I have been reading in other forums about them and have not read anything bad bout them except for their price tag.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i think they discontinued the hks coilovers for our cars.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scikotictc232
Want to be different. HKS is one of the oldest companies in this industry and one of the companies that I have always looked up to for building some of the most insane cars in the world. I am about to order HKS coilovers and I just bought an HKS Ti for my turbo back exhaust. I have the HkS SSQV in the limited black. So why not I have been reading in other forums about them and have not read anything bad bout them except for their price tag.
HKS is really good stuff. I was just wondering why you just didnt want the TiAL. But you should be fine, because Everything Ive sen from them is quality. Im pretty sure before they made parts for cars the made parts for airplanes and helicopters. I could be wrong though.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Corporate history

The company was formed in 1973 by Hiroyuki Hasegawa, a former engineer for Yamaha Motor Company, and his partner Goichi Kitagawa, while the start up capital was supplied by Sigma Automotive (hence the name HKS). They began tuning gasoline powered engines in a dairy-farming shed at the foot of Mount Fuji in Japan. Their goal was to design and build high performance engines and components that major OE (original equipement) manufacturers could not or would not produce. In July 1974, Hasegawa engineered and built the first commercialized turbocharger kit for passenger cars; since then developing turbocharger upgrades and bolt-on turbocharger kits has been part of the core business of HKS. Hasegawa also created the first commercially available electronic turbo timer and boost controller.

HKS is a publicly traded company with an international sales and distribution network spanning Asia, Europe, Australia and the Americas to support its rapidly growing and ever-loyal worldwide customer base. Their brand new state-of-the-art manufacturing and R&D facility is at the foot of Mount Fuji and is the facility is 100,000 sq. ft. HKS has also established HKS Europe and HKS USA.

HKS USA, Inc. established in 1982, reaffirmed its commitment to deliver performance, customer service and quality products to consumers in North America. With the recent purchase of a new 35,000+ sq. ft. headquarters building for North American sales, marketing, warehouse, R&D, and manufacturing operations, HKS has solidified its leadership position in delivering aftermarket performance parts.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok what size waste gate should I go with ? they offer anywere from 40 to 60 mm +