Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Hot side gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hot side gasket

Is there suppose to be a gasket between the turbo and the down pipe and is it ok to use the old manifold gasket for the turbo manifold as well?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i never used a gasket for the downpipe to turbo but yes u can use the OEM gasket for the manifold
Old 08-02-2010, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

you can buy a gasket if you like or try other means. if the mani gasket seals then yes..if it doesnt then get a new one...sometimes they can be reused but sometimes they dont quit work out. so if you got the extra change in your pocket to get one then do so
Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

to save some headache just use new ones.. manifold gaskets are like 24ish on the dealership.. for downpipe and turbo, yes use one..
Old 08-02-2010, 02:12 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by crush02342002
you can buy a gasket if you like or try other means. if the mani gasket seals then yes..if it doesnt then get a new one...sometimes they can be reused but sometimes they dont quit work out. so if you got the extra change in your pocket to get one then do so
+1, trial and error. A new gasket is what, $30? I reused the old one, however it started leaking after a short while. Took maybe 45 mins to replace.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont have a gasket between turbo and downpipe either. youll notice alot of people dont.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

most likely it wouldnt do anything but some exhaust leak and some bad odor in the cabin..
Old 08-02-2010, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the OEM manifold gasket is in good shape then you're probably safe to use it. As for a gasket between DP and Turbo, I opted to use one even though the Turbonetics kit doesn't include one and most kits don't. High temp RTV is your friend as far as leak prevention. Small leaks here and there will cause your AFR readings to be chaotic and give you a headache while tuning.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

small leaks shouldnt affect your afr readings, as long as its after the turbo
Old 08-02-2010, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Ace83
small leaks shouldnt affect your afr readings, as long as its after the turbo

but if its leaking before the wideband the sensor might no get an accurate reading.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

if its small it wouldnt, the thing is its hard to define how small or how big so the best way is to fix a leak lol
Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

U don't necesrily need one. If it doesn't leak, ur golden. If it does unbolt the down pipe and use a ruler and put it flat against the flange and use a flash light from the other side of the ruler to veryfy that the flange is not warped or something. Mine was and RTV didn't fix the problem. Only thing that did for a while was to use high temp bearing grease in between (old tuner trick), but it started leaking again after a couple of months.

Just sand it donw with a block to make sure is good to go, same with turbo hotside. Once done coat both surfaces with bearing grease and it will seal it up great. Take it from somebody who worked on that thing like 5 time to get it right :-(
Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gingles
but if its leaking before the wideband the sensor might no get an accurate reading.
Yes, you need a gasket between the turbine outlet and downpipe and this is why.

As it is important to seal any leaks on the compressor side of the turbo it is just as important to seal any leaks on the turbine side of the equation.

A leaking manifold gasket can cause an increase in spool and incorrect AF readings

A leaking turbo inlet gasket can cause the same problems listed above

A leaking turbine to downpipe, with gasket or not, will cause incorrect AF (lean) readings. This is important when tuning with a piggy back as sealing all that up makes for a quicker more accurate tune and keeps CELs for too lean and too rich off (assuming your tune is correct)

This is important.

Plus they are only $10, ya cheap skates!

http://www.dezod.com/pd-dezod-motors...ine-gasket.cfm

They are included with our turbo kits.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Carlanga
U don't necesrily need one. If it doesn't leak, ur golden. If it does unbolt the down pipe and use a ruler and put it flat against the flange and use a flash light from the other side of the ruler to veryfy that the flange is not warped or something. Mine was and RTV didn't fix the problem. Only thing that did for a while was to use high temp bearing grease in between (old tuner trick), but it started leaking again after a couple of months.

Just sand it donw with a block to make sure is good to go, same with turbo hotside. Once done coat both surfaces with bearing grease and it will seal it up great. Take it from somebody who worked on that thing like 5 time to get it right :-(
Bearing grease? If you are really that against using a gasket then you can use High Temp Copper RTV and read the instructions for use and let it sit 24 hours to fully cure. Don't just put it on then fire it up.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

iv heard that too don from another local tuner shop..iv never done it but iv seen it work. I too beleave in using a gasket for everything if possible but somtimes we get a little too froggy and dont want to wait.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:33 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon
Bearing grease? If you are really that against using a gasket then you can use High Temp Copper RTV and read the instructions for use and let it sit 24 hours to fully cure. Don't just put it on then fire it up.
not against gaskets, just giving options out there. The times I had to work on mine I just wanted to make it stop to later on get a gasket, just never got around it. And yes I used all kinds of RTV's, red high temp, copper, etc., but they burned off or got brittle and came of peace by peace even after letting it cure for two days . When the surface isn't completely flat the best thing to do is doh, make it flat, I did and that fixed the problem. Didn't need the gasket after that.

And to add to what you said about leaks, you are correct. The AFR's will read higher than normal, with the small leak I had it was about .5 AFR difference.