Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

How To Beef Up The Supercharger??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Default How To Beef Up The Supercharger??

Ok, so I've done some searching and read a bunch, and I learned a lot (I think, lol)...

I was just wondering what all you guys recommend doing when you want to upgrade the SC. I've read about doing the ZPI pulley which from my understanding ups the pressure about 2 psi to something like 9psi total, is that right?? I also read something about changing out the BPV (ByPass Vavle, is that right?)...I'm not really sure what that does, tried searching, but couldnt fint it. It isnt the same as a BOV for a turbo is it?? I'm a little confused there.

How much are the ZPI pulley and the new BPVs I've been reading about?? And, I was wondering if there are any other modifications that you suggest. I don't want to have to upgrade internal engine parts, but I would like the SC to put out a little more. I'm waiting on it to come out for the auto, assuming it EVER comes out for the auto...I'm just trying to fill myself with knowledge before I get it. Thanks ahead of time...
Old 02-23-2006, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

An intercooler would help cool down the incoming air for a more dense charge. That would give you more power and I have heard the pully does wonders as well. Though switching the pully voids the warrenty through Toyota/Scion.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats me and you both waiting for this auto fit kit to come out. Hurry up TRD!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm using E-manage with the Supercharger and getting it installed and tuned monday. Gonna get more power out and gain some torque back.

I'd say a good setup with the TRD Supercharger would be the ZPI 9psi pulley, Forge 007 BPV. Which I have of now. But to go along with that would be headers, s-pipe, cat back exhaust, an intake, and lighter crank pulley. With a setup like that I could see 230-240whp easy.

Then with the intercooler kit coming out, that will help and putting out more boost too. ZPI I heard maybe coming out with a 11 psi pulley. Thats what Kenny told me a month ago. Said something about having 11psi pulley, intake and intercooler all in one kit. Of course though you can buy them seperate. Thats just what I heard though.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man for all the stuff youn said i think he'd be better off going with a stage 1 turbo!
correct me if im wrong, but i thought one of those packages comes with emanage and an intercooler already. for the price you pay for sc to begin with, and to toss away your warranty like that, i think the turbo would be cheaper. and not to mention no (i cant spell) paralistic(?) loss. imo, youd be spending more money for less power, and neither setup would be warrantied? thats just my opinion. the stage 1 would beat your set up (i think).
Old 02-23-2006, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alot of the reason the tC Supercharger doesnt give alot of power, is in the tune. The reflash is very very safe. It keeps the ecu in the safest mode. If you look at every TRD part there is. You can notice that they went half way with performance. They have the right idea, but hold back the performance with reliability. TRD is probably one of, if not, the most safest aftermarket company. Not to mention they are colaborated with the Toyota corporation.

What I am trying to get here is, that the supercharger is a good piece of work but is held back by the crappy air box u get with it, the stock headers u are stuck with and the safest tune possible for a boosted vechicle.

Yes going with the ZPI stage one will probably yield you more power and be cheaper. But you will have the same turbo setup as 500 other people, where as, those of us who are dropping more money into the supercharger to make it faster are gonna have something more custom.

I'm tuning it monday with E-manage. Totally altering the reflash and getting more power. The torque is stripped because of timing. I plan to get it all back. I have yet to see one person tune the Supercharger with the E-manage or any other tuning device to get a better tune. If they are out there, they sure arent tellin anyone.

But yes, my warranty is gone. haha. I like the turbo, but now that I have the supercharger i am just gonna make it better. But in the end result of everything I said, I would go with a Turbo kit, cuz it will be cheaper and you will get more power.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

using an intercooler is a good idea but you have to increase the boost due to loss in pressure from the intercooler and length of piping, i know from experience, haha. Also a good tune will suffice as well. Emanage is good but the SAFC will work just as well for about half the price.

Other than that the TRD s/c is solid, but not quite the best. good luck with your setup
Old 02-23-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You should do a full exhaust, header back of course, an intake and the NST pulley. The NST pulley puts you at around 9.8 psi and is still safe with the stock tune
Not to mention their kick a$$ customer service. If you even want a custom pulley setup done talk to Mike at NSTonAIM and they will make something nice for ya hehehe. All I know is I see 12psi in my very near future
Old 02-23-2006, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is NSTonAIM the sn on AIM?? sorry, i'm confused. Is it "NST" or "NSTonAIM?" thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

its "NSTonAIM" hahaha
Old 02-23-2006, 08:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by mtxgalant96
Alot of the reason the tC Supercharger doesnt give alot of power, is in the tune. The reflash is very very safe. It keeps the ecu in the safest mode. If you look at every TRD part there is. You can notice that they went half way with performance. They have the right idea, but hold back the performance with reliability. TRD is probably one of, if not, the most safest aftermarket company. Not to mention they are colaborated with the Toyota corporation.

What I am trying to get here is, that the supercharger is a good piece of work but is held back by the crappy air box u get with it, the stock headers u are stuck with and the safest tune possible for a boosted vechicle.

Yes going with the ZPI stage one will probably yield you more power and be cheaper. But you will have the same turbo setup as 500 other people, where as, those of us who are dropping more money into the supercharger to make it faster are gonna have something more custom.

I'm tuning it monday with E-manage. Totally altering the reflash and getting more power. The torque is stripped because of timing. I plan to get it all back. I have yet to see one person tune the Supercharger with the E-manage or any other tuning device to get a better tune. If they are out there, they sure arent tellin anyone.

But yes, my warranty is gone. haha. I like the turbo, but now that I have the supercharger i am just gonna make it better. But in the end result of everything I said, I would go with a Turbo kit, cuz it will be cheaper and you will get more power.

How are you stuck with the stock headers..?? Also you need to be very very careful on timing. Tc pistons suck and cracking a ring land is an easy thing to do with the slightest bit of to much timing. If your adding more boost, the smartest thing you can do is not add timing to the engine unless you want to run some 101 or better gas.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

keep us updated on the emanage.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I highly recommend NST as well. They have a 9.5psi pulley for the TRD supercharger. The website is www.NonStopTuning.com and their screen name on AIM is "NSTonAIM" talk to Mike and he will answer all your questions.

Other than that, you probably want to stay away from a front mount intercooler. It just looks like so much piping would be necessary that it would probably lead to boost drop! An intercooler is not necessary for anything less than 10psi anyway.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:52 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i meant by ur stuck with the stock headers is, they dont give you one in the kit. Sorry to confuse you on the wording. They could have easily made a more free flowing TRD header, but they didnt.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same idea to tune the s/c once i get it. only i would've chosen uni-chip. however, i jus found out about the AEM standalone which i will definitely be saving up for.

and yes, i have yet to read of a s/c tC tuning with another EMS besides the trd reflash.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

gallant96... keep us updated on ur results after tuning w/ e - manage and post some dyno numbers up if you can.... i'm REALLY interested in the true potential of this supercharger and might consider getting one this summer if i have enough cash
Old 02-24-2006, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll post what i get. Though it will be from a dyno "dynamics" dyno. So if I get 220whp, then that will be like 240whp on a dyno jet. Everyone on here who has 217whp+ has been dynoing on a dyno jet. The dyno jets dont give resistence as you go up in speed to simulate a road like a dyno dynamics does. So dyno jets are good for bragging rights. Someone on here has headers, zpi 9 psi pulley, bosch 110 bpv and a custom intake and pulled like 224whp on a dyno jet. Another person with the same setup, slightly different intake and headers, got 208whp on a dyno "dynamics." So just giving everyone an insight into the different dynos. Not trying to put everyone's numbers down or what they got, but just letting everyone know what I have found out about dyno's in the past month.

I'll let you know how the E-manage w/pressure sensor and injector harness goes.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:57 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mtxgalant96
I'll post what i get. Though it will be from a dyno "dynamics" dyno. So if I get 220whp, then that will be like 240whp on a dyno jet. Everyone on here who has 217whp+ has been dynoing on a dyno jet. The dyno jets dont give resistence as you go up in speed to simulate a road like a dyno dynamics does. So dyno jets are good for bragging rights. Someone on here has headers, zpi 9 psi pulley, bosch 110 bpv and a custom intake and pulled like 224whp on a dyno jet. Another person with the same setup, slightly different intake and headers, got 208whp on a dyno "dynamics." So just giving everyone an insight into the different dynos. Not trying to put everyone's numbers down or what they got, but just letting everyone know what I have found out about dyno's in the past month.

I'll let you know how the E-manage w/pressure sensor and injector harness goes.
Are you getting it dynoed at virginia speed?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

DTP (Dyno Tuned Performance) Nick06tC