Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

how to boost by gear or mph?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Default how to boost by gear or mph?

I'm looking into an electronic boost controller. I've heard that the apexi one can boost by gear but is really hard to set up. what is the best route to go if i wanted to only boost like 4 psi or so in first and second so that i'm not spinning the whole time? or could i just use the dual stage and once i hit third gear push the button to switch from low boost to high boost? i don't know how fast it takes action to wether or not it could work like that. I was looking at the Greddy profec b but it didn't say anything about boost by speed/gear (unless of course reading fails me, which could be possible true. it's that kind of day). I'm going to be doing this in the spring so it's not something i'm jumping right into, i want to research as much as i can before doing this. I have a few races already that need to be taken care of on the 1/4 and then also auto crossing, so i figure an ebc is my best way to go so i can easily switch out my boost pressure for what ever application i'm using that day.

right now i'm just rocking a hallman MBC, and the last time i raced, i was spinning through 3rd gear (stock like tires.. getting some new ones in a month or so) so i know that an EBC will help out a lot. And i've also been working a lot on throttle control but when in a race all my self control is probably going right out the window!!!

thank you in advance for any and all answers.

and ps. i've tried searching. google and all.

Last edited by skinnayyy; 12-03-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Dezod Apr ecu offers this, but you still need a EBC, i believe. I'm not aware of anything else out there.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

I do plan on getting that ecu, just not anytime soon. I'm buying new tires and rims, painting my car and getting an EBC, so i'm kinda going to be tapped on money for a while. i know that the apexi avcr said something about boost by mph as well, but i want to know if anyone here has done it, if there are any other options out there, and how easy it is to set up. (that goes for boost by gear too)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i could be wrong but i dont know of any boost controller that offers a boost by gear feature. What i got is a Greddy Profec B spec II boost controller that offers high/low boost settings at the push of a button. I just boost 10psi on first and second then when i hit third i push the button for more boost.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

world racing has a bad ___ boost controler .. this might be the more expensive one.. but you can boost by gear and alot more with this on the fic.... or what ever you have..

http://www.world-motorsports.com/wms...38c5ceea4b332c
Old 12-04-2010, 11:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have experience with both World racing boost controllers.

The TBC-1 (more expensive) Is awesome. Boost by gear, and its impossible to fool what gear you go into. You can go first to fifth to third, and it wont miss. The interface is awesome, and if you had the money, I'd go for this one. Especially on a FWD car where traction is an issue. It's also touch screen.

The PBC one is also amazing. You can preset 5 boost levels and the press a button (we call it our stupid button) and just run through them. Even at 30psi of boost the most it ever spiked to was like 31 or 31.5. And lower boost I dont recall it ever spiking. I'll put this on my subaru, because I dont really need boost by gear, but It will be nice to cycle from 14psi up to whatever I want to run.

Can't really go wrong with either decision.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdis3
I have experience with both World racing boost controllers.

The TBC-1 (more expensive) Is awesome. Boost by gear, and its impossible to fool what gear you go into. You can go first to fifth to third, and it wont miss. The interface is awesome, and if you had the money, I'd go for this one. Especially on a FWD car where traction is an issue. It's also touch screen.
Sounds pretty trick. I'd like to play with one.

A'PEXi AVC-R does boost by gear. So does AEM EMS.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

doesn't the apexi avcr do boost by mph though? i heard in order to do boost by gear you have to put in switches and stuff in your shifter to trigger when it is in each gear. i may be wrong.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

and OMGosh. that boost controller is sick. i wish i could through that much money on one.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

Yeah, hopefully when the AEM EMS ver2 comes out, I'll have some time with that as well.
Old 12-05-2010, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

yea i was going to say the same thing, my cuz has the avc r in his MR2 and he says that it has boost by gear
Old 12-16-2010, 05:30 AM
5 Year Member

the nlr ams1000 does gear dependent boost control. it is a closed loop pressure reference so what you tell it, it does, on the pricey side but it does what its told with out any fuss
Old 12-16-2010, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you are willing to do some tweaking and a ton of reading you could use a Mega Squirt as a dedicated boost controller. It can do boost by gear, boost by speed, and boost by throttle position all with either open loop or closed loop boost control. It is a little less expensive than the other stuff and probably could do a lot more if you wanted it too.