Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Hydra EMS on a Turbonetics kit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

We both got the wideband upgrade. 2100 for everything with the hydra with wideband.

Well tonight was the first night out having fun with the car. We met up with some tuners here in cincy. A friend of a friend had a 12.2 1/4 mile Evo so we ran him to see how we compared. From a 40 in 2nd gear the Evo nosed out a bit but the rear bumper didnt get in front of us. From a 60 in 3rd we pulled hard on him till 4th and leveled off with about a 1 car lead till 127mph. All in all a fun night. Nothing like shotting firebalss at evo's! muhaha

Thanks everyone for the comments!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I can say is tuning factory tuned this car amazing well. I took it out tonight its so damn smooth. I beat a alot of cars tonight that I would of never beat before. All I can say is go get a hydra/standalone now there amazing!!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 02:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't feel bad guys. Jackie got beat by an EVO IX MR the other day on the highway. Bear in mind she can walk E46 M3's on the highway in 5th gear but EVO's are much tougher. I guess she needs that new motor in there before she goes after the big turbo EVO's. : )
Old 05-20-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This Evo was fast ( I rode in it) but I dont think it had a turbo upgrade. The owner of the Evo claimed to have a head PnP job. 3inch exhaust and tuning. He beat us at his race (40 drop) we got him at ours (60 drop) I would think the cars are somewhat close in the power range as far a HP goes. I think it was the way the cars are gears that decided last night.

The M3 is one car Ive yet to come across. Hopefully soon.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

You said you got the Hydra with the wideband. Is that a special hydra wideband or did you just use like the AEM wideband and if not the AEM can you use the AEM WB?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by etsnet
You said you got the Hydra with the wideband. Is that a special hydra wideband or did you just use like the AEM wideband and if not the AEM can you use the AEM WB?

Its special for the Hydra. Its for the self tuning mode. www.hydraems.com has all the info.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw

Its special for the Hydra. Its for the self tuning mode. www.hydraems.com has all the info.
I assume it is like the AEM, and you can set-up closed loop or open loop and tune off the WBO2 connected?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

I assume it is like the AEM, and you can set-up closed loop or open loop and tune off the WBO2 connected?
Thats right without the wideband there is no self tuning option on the Hydra, it also does not datalog with any other wideband.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rasta
Originally Posted by paul_dezod

Thats right without the wideband there is no self tuning option on the Hydra, it also does not datalog with any other wideband.
Hmmm. That sucks. Atleast the AEM will use any WBO2....FJO, AEM, NTK, PLX, Tech Edge etc..........And you can probably custom make an app if you have what all of the voltage outputs are for the WBO2
Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is correct Paul. The Hydra has to use their own not that having the option to use a different one may be something they add to the unit later on.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excellent work on this car guys. Congrats Bob and Ben. Your cars are truely sick...
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guru
Thanks Bob!!! No problem. Everything looks really good. I wanted to double check the boost settings in the AVCR on the street but Ben had to run so double check those please.
The unichip we will maybe test on Ben's car to see how much it is making prior to installing the Hydra but the standalone is so much safer in terms of timing curve and I was actually running about 12:1-12.2:1 at 7-8 PSI with no problems on your car Bob. On these cars it is excessive timing that makes them detonate more easily than too little fuel especially at lower boost pressures. I ran into that on Jackie's car as well.
The 800cc map I had from Jackie's car actually was pretty darn close to these 630's or 650's you're using. One other thing. Car was running kinda warm. That turbo is working pretty hard at 11 PSI and it is very evident it is made ONLY for stock motors. Another word of not it spools up about the same as Jackie's GT3740. I'll mess with the overlays later on with Ben's car to see some of the differences in the torque chart and see how they stack up. I tuned an STi after you Bob which made 5 cars I tuned in one day. I was a bit loopy after all that time looking at charts and numbers. Crazy
Excellent job tuning this car. The turbo on this kit for reference is a T04E 50 trim compressor with a T3 Stage 2 turbine. The A/R is a .48. With that A/R and turbine and the displacement from the 2AZ spool up should be very good. The compressor map has enough flow for 25 PSI+ but if you plan to go that high it may be time to look at potentially swapping to a larger A/R turbine housing to prevent any back pressure issues. Thats if you are trying to flow the turbo out to the limit of course. For 10 PSI on the stock motor the current unit should flow just fine. I believe Munch once ran a 60-1 compressor with a T3 turbine but I am unsure of what size T3. Either way excellent work and if there is anything i can help answer in regards to the kit I would be happy to. Oh FYI the kit uses Motron Deka 630cc injectors out of box.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks Rob. Yeah mine goes in this week for the Hydra. BTW the open air BOV sounds insane!!! haha
Old 05-22-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

So is the wideband a gauge like the AEM or what? Will I be able to ride down the street and still know that my AFR is ok? Will I need a WB gauge to view my AFR if this isn't a gauge? I looked at the website but didn't see a pic of the wideband or maybe I did and didn't know what I was looking at.

Sorry for all the question but I'm really interested in getting a standalone and want all the info on the Hydra before I decide between the Hydra and the AEM. Right now price is not a factor cuz the hydra with the WB is as much as the AEM. So I need as much info and results as I can get.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I use a AEM wideband to "see" my afr's. The Wideband on the Hdyra is simply a tuning feature. Only the Hydra itself see's the number from its wideband.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I know this may not be related to F/I but would you think it would get nice results in an N/A engine with I/H/E/ P&P, etc. etc. maybe touch 200+ whp?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Its alot of money to put into a N/A unless you've done some major work to it I would think.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I use a AEM wideband to "see" my afr's. The Wideband on the Hdyra is simply a tuning feature. Only the Hydra itself see's the number from its wideband.
Oh ok. So the hydra WB sensor would be placed in the exhaust (like spipe like the AEM) and you'd be able to tune off that? Now this is if you yourself are gonna tune not a tuner, correct or does it make it easier for the tuner?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Originally Posted by Guru
Thanks Bob!!! No problem. Everything looks really good. I wanted to double check the boost settings in the AVCR on the street but Ben had to run so double check those please.
The unichip we will maybe test on Ben's car to see how much it is making prior to installing the Hydra but the standalone is so much safer in terms of timing curve and I was actually running about 12:1-12.2:1 at 7-8 PSI with no problems on your car Bob. On these cars it is excessive timing that makes them detonate more easily than too little fuel especially at lower boost pressures. I ran into that on Jackie's car as well.
The 800cc map I had from Jackie's car actually was pretty darn close to these 630's or 650's you're using. One other thing. Car was running kinda warm. That turbo is working pretty hard at 11 PSI and it is very evident it is made ONLY for stock motors. Another word of not it spools up about the same as Jackie's GT3740. I'll mess with the overlays later on with Ben's car to see some of the differences in the torque chart and see how they stack up. I tuned an STi after you Bob which made 5 cars I tuned in one day. I was a bit loopy after all that time looking at charts and numbers. Crazy
Excellent job tuning this car. The turbo on this kit for reference is a T04E 50 trim compressor with a T3 Stage 2 turbine. The A/R is a .48. With that A/R and turbine and the displacement from the 2AZ spool up should be very good. The compressor map has enough flow for 25 PSI+ but if you plan to go that high it may be time to look at potentially swapping to a larger A/R turbine housing to prevent any back pressure issues. Thats if you are trying to flow the turbo out to the limit of course. For 10 PSI on the stock motor the current unit should flow just fine. I believe Munch once ran a 60-1 compressor with a T3 turbine but I am unsure of what size T3. Either way excellent work and if there is anything i can help answer in regards to the kit I would be happy to. Oh FYI the kit uses Motron Deka 630cc injectors out of box.
In actuality the spool up time was not the greatest despite the AVCR in the car. Not any faster than the far larger GT3740 we use on our kit. I suspect the AR and exhaust wheel are so small that there is serious restriction in the exhaust path for proper flow. The high engine temperatures yet cold charge pipes seemed to confirm this. I had a hard time keeping the car cool at anything over 8 PSI. I suspect the EGT's would be pretty high but again, could not confirm since there was no gauge. If you tried to run 25 PSI on that turbo on this motor it would probably melt a piston. No way in hell.
Paul, as for an AF gauge, I'm sure they are working on an output solution for a gauge setup. Nothing yet though. Yes the O2 makes tuning the car MUCH easier and can be done with the datalogging in the ECU which is excellent. Personally I prefer the excel format that Hydra uses on their datalogging to the AEM Pro Logger but I am more numbers oriented. I have done Hydra ECU setups on NA cars and it does still work well. Whether you want to spend that much on a car making 200 WHP I'm not sure but I have done it before.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh ok. So the hydra WB sensor would be placed in the exhaust (like spipe like the AEM) and you'd be able to tune off that? Now this is if you yourself are gonna tune not a tuner, correct or does it make it easier for the tuner?
That WB is for tuning purposes the driver sees nothing. It is not like an AEM WB, I actually have a AEM WB in my car I am going to wire it to the stock WB and put the Hydra one where the AEM used to be. I like the gauge :-)

Quick Reply: Hydra EMS on a Turbonetics kit...