Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Hydra EMS on a Turbonetics kit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by etsnet
Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
I use a AEM wideband to "see" my afr's. The Wideband on the Hdyra is simply a tuning feature. Only the Hydra itself see's the number from its wideband.
Oh ok. So the hydra WB sensor would be placed in the exhaust (like spipe like the AEM) and you'd be able to tune off that? Now this is if you yourself are gonna tune not a tuner, correct or does it make it easier for the tuner?
We removed the Stock primary o2 sensor on the downpipe all together. We place the Hydra WB there.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guru
Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Thanks Bob!!! No problem. Everything looks really good. I wanted to double check the boost settings in the AVCR on the street but Ben had to run so double check those please.
The unichip we will maybe test on Ben's car to see how much it is making prior to installing the Hydra but the standalone is so much safer in terms of timing curve and I was actually running about 12:1-12.2:1 at 7-8 PSI with no problems on your car Bob. On these cars it is excessive timing that makes them detonate more easily than too little fuel especially at lower boost pressures. I ran into that on Jackie's car as well.
The 800cc map I had from Jackie's car actually was pretty darn close to these 630's or 650's you're using. One other thing. Car was running kinda warm. That turbo is working pretty hard at 11 PSI and it is very evident it is made ONLY for stock motors. Another word of not it spools up about the same as Jackie's GT3740. I'll mess with the overlays later on with Ben's car to see some of the differences in the torque chart and see how they stack up. I tuned an STi after you Bob which made 5 cars I tuned in one day. I was a bit loopy after all that time looking at charts and numbers. Crazy
Excellent job tuning this car. The turbo on this kit for reference is a T04E 50 trim compressor with a T3 Stage 2 turbine. The A/R is a .48. With that A/R and turbine and the displacement from the 2AZ spool up should be very good. The compressor map has enough flow for 25 PSI+ but if you plan to go that high it may be time to look at potentially swapping to a larger A/R turbine housing to prevent any back pressure issues. Thats if you are trying to flow the turbo out to the limit of course. For 10 PSI on the stock motor the current unit should flow just fine. I believe Munch once ran a 60-1 compressor with a T3 turbine but I am unsure of what size T3. Either way excellent work and if there is anything i can help answer in regards to the kit I would be happy to. Oh FYI the kit uses Motron Deka 630cc injectors out of box.
In actuality the spool up time was not the greatest despite the AVCR in the car. Not any faster than the far larger GT3740 we use on our kit. I suspect the AR and exhaust wheel are so small that there is serious restriction in the exhaust path for proper flow. The high engine temperatures yet cold charge pipes seemed to confirm this. I had a hard time keeping the car cool at anything over 8 PSI. I suspect the EGT's would be pretty high but again, could not confirm since there was no gauge. If you tried to run 25 PSI on that turbo on this motor it would probably melt a piston. No way in hell.
Paul, as for an AF gauge, I'm sure they are working on an output solution for a gauge setup. Nothing yet though. Yes the O2 makes tuning the car MUCH easier and can be done with the datalogging in the ECU which is excellent. Personally I prefer the excel format that Hydra uses on their datalogging to the AEM Pro Logger but I am more numbers oriented. I have done Hydra ECU setups on NA cars and it does still work well. Whether you want to spend that much on a car making 200 WHP I'm not sure but I have done it before.
Which is exactly why I was pointing out that going much farther then this you might need a switch of the turbine housing at the least. In regards to turbos I don't see a 3740 listed on Garretts site but the GT3776 compressor doesn't flow anymore then the T04E 50 trim compressor and is roughly the same physical size. The GT37XX turbine section is larger no doubt and runs a larger A/R but I'm curious as to what the inducer and major diameter of the compressor are. Oh and i wasn't suggesting you run this turbo to 25 PSI on the stock motor.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 3740 is not in the Garrett Catalog. Use the GT37 exhaust side and mate to a GT40 compressor side. Voila GT3740. It is a 75 lb/min compressor wheel by the way. Even with a larger AR ratio the Turbonetics is just not very efficient and would be even laggier. What is the point? I would not use it for anything but a completely stock motor.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 3740 is not in the Garrett Catalog. Use the GT37 exhaust side and mate to a GT40 compressor side. Voila GT3740. It is a 75 lb/min compressor wheel by the way. Even with a larger AR ratio the Turbonetics is just not very efficient and would be even laggier. What is the point? I would not use it for anything but a completely stock motor.
Interesting. I would love to match the GT3740 up against a GT-K 650. Of course you'd need to use something more like a Turbonetics F1-62 turbine to make it the same proportions back and forth. Any particular reason you need a GT40 compressor wheel with 75 lb/min of flow on a stock motor tC? I bet just switching the Stage 2 turbine wheel in the current turbo to a F1-54 or F1-57 would yield much better results. But I digress. I wonder if anyone has swapped out their out of box T04E 50 trim / Stage 2 unit for a GT-K 350 or GT-K 450 yet.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm still waiting for a water cooled turbo!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still waiting for a water cooled turbo!
Its coming man. They are still working on the fitting location...
Old 05-23-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Sounds good. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Getting water lines in there is not easy which is one reason we went with the standard bearing cartridge. It still yields excellent results. Miaplaya, the larger compressor wheel just gives us room later on to increase boost. Since it spools up very close to a turbonetics kit anyway, I didn't see much of a problem using it.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Getting water lines in there is not easy which is one reason we went with the standard bearing cartridge. It still yields excellent results. Miaplaya, the larger compressor wheel just gives us room later on to increase boost. Since it spools up very close to a turbonetics kit anyway, I didn't see much of a problem using it.
Gotcha. Regarding the water lines Turbonetics has set this up on two Scions but are still finalizing fitting orientation and the best place/way to tap for and return the coolant. Aside from that there are at least two test tCs running watercooled Turbonetics bearing sections now.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Gotcha. Regarding the water lines Turbonetics has set this up on two Scions but are still finalizing fitting orientation and the best place/way to tap for and return the coolant. Aside from that there are at least two test tCs running watercooled Turbonetics bearing sections now.

awww I want one....
Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

awww I want one....
i know dude. They were local test cars that Turbonetics did to test the setup of the water cooled bearing section. As soon as its done I'll let you know.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm jealous man, I'm only gonna have the Emanage Blue and I know it's still gonna work, but with a standalone, I think I would be able to achieve more on the ZPI Stage 1 Turbo kit WITH reliability and safety... I think I'll get a standalone in the future, once all my bills are paid!
Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

awww I want one....
i know dude. They were local test cars that Turbonetics did to test the setup of the water cooled bearing section. As soon as its done I'll let you know.

Yeah let me know for sure. Any ETA n it?
Old 05-23-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by chuynh207
I'm jealous man, I'm only gonna have the Emanage Blue and I know it's still gonna work, but with a standalone, I think I would be able to achieve more on the ZPI Stage 1 Turbo kit WITH reliability and safety... I think I'll get a standalone in the future, once all my bills are paid!

Yeah man. ALOT safer then the Greddy blue. If and when you go stndalone you'll be amazed the differece.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

awww I want one....

Yeah let me know for sure. Any ETA n it?
I tried to get one today but things got busy at work and I ran out of time to check back with them. I'll try to get one tomorrow.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^ sweet thanks Rob
Old 05-25-2007, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

To anyone watching this thread keep an eye out. We took the tC to the track today and we were VERY impressed with how it did. I'm not going to post the numbers till I get a pic of the time slip which needs to be emailed to me. When I do post the slip keep in mind that the run was done on 18x8 street tires and 93 octane gas. NO DR's or slicks on this run. Hopefully I'll have it up for you guys tonight or tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You F***N TEASE! Just tell us what you made and post the slips later!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ive seen alot of people been called "lyers" without posting slips with it. I know I'll get it from the ZPI camp. Just kidding Travis!
Old 05-26-2007, 01:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

OK Lets just say its no 13 second car.

Quick Reply: Hydra EMS on a Turbonetics kit...