Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

I blew my block.....Under no BOOST..Is it possible??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 12:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by StealthScion
lol! that sucks man. but thats the breaks of the game when u play with boost.

theres no way i would have let them take the car out WITHOUT me in it. that way, they can say, "uh, i wasn't even boosting it yet (so its not our fault)..."

obviously something was F'd up. but u have no way of knowing or proving what it was, and who is at fault. take it as a lesson learned, and move on.
Move on?

Shopes have insurance for a reason. this being one of them. They should pay for all damages. they are at fault.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well.. if you cant trust the shop (Which is the case more often than not with todays "tuner shops") to drive it and set it up without you, you shouldnt take it there.

They overboosted and trashed it. They would pay for it or my lawyer would call them immediately. That is the only two options I would give them. And they would pay for ANOTHER shop to fix it.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup. You car was in their care, and they broke it. Time for them to take responsibility and restore it to 'as good or better' to when you handed it over to them.

And yes, have them pop for a rental while yours is laid up.

(You may need a lawyer. Sorry!)

Tom
Old 04-15-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tC_skier
uh their fault...and if you let them off the hook you're a retard. that money needs to come out of their pocket. file with BBB if they dont take responsibility. if they still dont do anything then get a lawyer to write a letter and threaten a suit.
x2
Old 04-15-2007, 02:36 AM
Former Sponsor
HaYu Racing
SL Member

absolutely the shop has to take the responsibility for what happened...no DOUTE...

that's why you really need to be careful to choose the best turbo kit in our market and tunning shop around you...

that's why i chose turbotoyotas kit for my tc and even Todd did great job to tune.....
Old 04-15-2007, 02:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitley thier responsibility!!! We have car come into our shop all the time and if ANYTHING goes wrong before the customer signs paperwork and drives OFF OUR LOT, we are resposible for it. You have no idea how many misc bullstih things I've had to buy/fix/replace on customers cars.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow...okay, seriously dude...you have had some seriously bad luck with your turbo...

is this the same shop that installed and tuned your turbo? and then installed the boost controller? let them pay for everything and then take your business elsewhere. they don't seem to know what they are doing.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think it was the shop's fault necessarily. With my personal experience and reading about other GReddy kit owners, the internal wastegate to the kit MUST be adjusted! Without the wastegate actuator being adjusted, the car will seem normal until WOT then it will shoot super high in psi. My car would start off perfectly fine then shoot up to 15psi before i got it fixed. I think the guy testing your car used the controller on a normal setting but the wastegate did not open for that setting because it needs to be adjusted resulting in an extremely high psi thus blowing up your motor.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...eddy+wastegate

^^^There's an example of what I'm talking about.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

doesn't matter if the kit was developed by NASA and had an off the wall wastegate setup. anytime a shop works on a vehicle they are responsible for it. has nothing to do with the kit.

probably some inexperienced kid threw on a boost controller took the car out and romped on the gas and wasn't paying attention; then BOOM.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would think that would be done on a dyno instead of on the street where there would be more control and be easier to shut down if something like too much boost happened. Plus a simple ignition kill if you got too much boost would be a really good backup safety device.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by malloynx
doesn't matter if the kit was developed by NASA and had an off the wall wastegate setup. anytime a shop works on a vehicle they are responsible for it. has nothing to do with the kit.

probably some inexperienced kid threw on a boost controller took the car out and romped on the gas and wasn't paying attention; then BOOM.
ditto, 100% their fault.

The fact that he yelled into the phone is a big deal as well. He should have come right over to you and said, this is what happened this is how we are going to fix it. I near totalled a seinna minivan at work (toyota dealer) my manger walked over to the counter grabbed the customer info walked right up to the customer and said this is what happened this is how we are going to fix it now lets get you keys to a car (i think they gave her a 4 runner to use) fixxed the car that week gave her lifetime oil changes free and sent her on her way. ( i didnt even get yelled at, i dont know how that works)

also i woudnt have them fix the car, tell them they are footing the bill for toyota to fix it. Hey you never know if you find a smart dealer they might even warranty the motor and charge the shop full price hehe ( i loved working for a dealer)
Old 04-15-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that popping sound was probably detonation which is caused by too much boost and not the proper tune for that high of boost. Kinda like chris rados car when it blew up.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

They are responsible for installing the kit, no matter the brand. If they dont take the time to see how it is setup, then too bad for thier wallet, they just bought you a motor.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sucks about your car. Glad no one got hurt. Make'em pay for what they did to your car!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

so you guys think the motor blew for overboosting? i'm now afraid to install my zpi kit.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by jgarcell
so you guys think the motor blew for overboosting? i'm now afraid to install my zpi kit.
There has been reports on the Greddy Kits having a Weastegate problem, where the weastegate gets stuck.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Any motor will blow from overboosting.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this isnt the first time greddy kit has problems... that internal wastegate is a nightmare..

screw greddy..

and make the shop pay for it!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

after GReddy took my car in and fixed the wastegate it works great. the kit is amazing and pulls hard.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rob1n
after GReddy took my car in and fixed the wastegate it works great. the kit is amazing and pulls hard.
Those are Good News!

Quick Reply: I blew my block.....Under no BOOST..Is it possible??????