Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

I blew my block.....Under no BOOST..Is it possible??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member

it was a different shop that did the instal and the tuning
Old 04-16-2007, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member

i was told the driver was not over on boost. now is that possible. sounds fishy. but th guy turned the GAIN *** all the way up....in other words fully clockwise
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the driver is going to say anything to cover his ___. connecting rods just don't snap. either there was a prior problem in the engine or the car overboosted. i'm going for the latter.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the turbo blew then it was boosting since if it spins it produces boost - if pieces flew into the intake . . . that would break a rod when the piston came up. If you spit piston out the exhost that would blow the turbo. So you have to ask what blew first the piston or the turbo. Where was the video camera when all of this was going on? BLACK BOX TIME what does the ECU say happened - it should have info about the engine parameters when it blew still recorded inside its memory.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jan06xB
If the turbo blew then it was boosting since if it spins it produces boost - if pieces flew into the intake . . . that would break a rod when the piston came up. If you spit piston out the exhost that would blow the turbo. So you have to ask what blew first the piston or the turbo. Where was the video camera when all of this was going on? BLACK BOX TIME what does the ECU say happened - it should have info about the engine parameters when it blew still recorded inside its memory.
pieces small enugh to get past the valves shouldnt hit the piston.

the only way the ecu is of any help is it it through a cel at that exact moment. If it did you can read air intake volume, throttle position and rpm and determin if it was in boost, but it would have to have thrown a cel before the rod broke. So its not very likely. Basically it comes down to these motor being run to 400hp stock (tuned of course) and yours blowing up. What happend was it boosted too high for your tune. To much ignition timing, not enough fuel and bam.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:09 PM

Damn, that sucks! Im sorry to hear about that! I woud make them pay, no questions asked! I find it hard to believe that this guy installed your boost controller, then went to test drive without going into boost, and it was turned all the way up! He hammered on the throttle, overboosted, and blew it up! They are trying to bull$h!t you man! Dont let them! Goodluck with whatever you decide to do from here on out.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah small pieces would have to go through the intercooler too but we don't know what the piston to head clearance is either. I can see it blowing up pretty quick with timing advanced and a lean mixture pre igniting - you would think they would check the intake pressure release with the intake valves closed and a compressed air hose to pressurize the intake to make sure the waste gate opens properly. Something as simple as pressing the gas pedal slowly the first few times would also be a good idea especially wnen testing something that could BLOW UP!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

From what I have read, this is non interferance motor, which the piston will never touch the head nor valves.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah until something fills in that space - good to know though that it is non-interferring. Another thought is that the turbo blew and caught fire from the oil which means something got really hot to ignite or was spitting fire from burning fuel. Any way you look at it . . . it sucks that it blew.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear about your problem man, Make them pay.