Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

I dont believe Turbonetics

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by rrimportracer
Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
right, youre getting 247whp, add 20 whp because of the exhaust, Thats 267whp, which is about 300bhp

Whats the problem?
That calculator calculates Crank HP. Thats the problem apparanetly these cars are putting that amount to the wheels? Where is that extra hp comin from?
Where have you seen someone claim they have 300 WHEEL hp? There are prolly a hand full of tC's in the world that can claim that. TURBONETICS flat out claims 244whp on a stock car with thier kit. That meets your "calculations" so why are you still fighting to prove a point? Like stated before...the 270whp car have a FULL 2.5 inch exhaust w/o cats. That can and will ad HP to a turbo car.
Actually i have seen in some modified mags that they put 300whp, and if you look at the zpi stage one kit they say that its 300whp too and thats only 9-10 psi

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...products_id=36

and look at jamasco racings tc chris there has 14 psi and about 450whp.

Another thing that determines power with pressure is the size of the turbo, if you have a smaller turbo you can run higher psi and not get the same power as a bigger turbo running smaller psi

I was just trying to prove a point that turbonetics doesnt at all claim 300whp. They claim 244whp on a stock motor.

All tC's can be made to run almost any hp if you havethe money. This is just about how much the Ad's say the can provide.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rrimportracer
Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
right, youre getting 247whp, add 20 whp because of the exhaust, Thats 267whp, which is about 300bhp

Whats the problem?
That calculator calculates Crank HP. Thats the problem apparanetly these cars are putting that amount to the wheels? Where is that extra hp comin from?
Where have you seen someone claim they have 300 WHEEL hp? There are prolly a hand full of tC's in the world that can claim that. TURBONETICS flat out claims 244whp on a stock car with thier kit. That meets your "calculations" so why are you still fighting to prove a point? Like stated before...the 270whp car have a FULL 2.5 inch exhaust w/o cats. That can and will ad HP to a turbo car.
Actually i have seen in some modified mags that they put 300whp, and if you look at the zpi stage one kit they say that its 300whp too and thats only 9-10 psi

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...products_id=36

and look at jamasco racings tc chris there has 14 psi and about 450whp.

Another thing that determines power with pressure is the size of the turbo, if you have a smaller turbo you can run higher psi and not get the same power as a bigger turbo running smaller psi
Not 2 get off topic...lol.....but did he just say Jamasco ( SCIONSPEED? )

Sorry. back to topic
Old 09-30-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where is MIAPLAYA =p when you need him
Old 09-30-2006, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

paging MIAPLAYA to the front desk!
Old 09-30-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wasn't the main confusion about where Turbonetics is getting this "extra" power from nowhere? The Turbonetics kit gets this mystical power from something called, "oxygen." Power isn't boost alone. In fact, power is more CFM than boost.

Case in point, a surefire way of upping the boost but losing power is halfing the size of your torbo intake piping. Let's see a 100% increase in power from that.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you are not a happy man are you??? you seemed angry in this thread and the other one going on about your apparent "well read and literate" status

however i must agree with your flagrant use of terminology and the way people throw it around it aggrivates me also... i just liked your word choice
Old 09-30-2006, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

before opening this thread i saw the exact advertisement banner that enthusiast was talking about. It was a silver tc, that said 160 stock then the tc would drive across the banner and say 300 (whp) and you all are arguing about "whp at the crank" you can not have the same horsepower at the crank as you can at the wheels even without wheels like the monster motor works did with their dyno for the mmw header and they still did not have whp (wheel horse power) confused with bhp (crank horse power that is why that guy doesnt believe turbonetics. a stock tc makes 244 but that banner says 300 whp
Old 09-30-2006, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL I'm here. I don't see where the confusion is. If you look at the banner it says stock 160HP. Does the Tc make 160 WHP stock? Not a chance. In fact the stock car dynod at 138 WHP stock. With the turbo kit ONLY the car made 244 WHP and 262 ft/lb of tq AT THE WHEELs. If you factor back in drivetrain loss you get 300 BHP which is what the banner is stating. Since all cars come from the factory with BHP numers Turbonetics calculates BHP with the turbo kit to give you a perspective of what your car will do compared to stock in case you don't do a before and after dyno which most people do not do. I think the power production of this kit has been well documented enough on this and other boards. The dyno chart is posted in Modified Mag, this forum, www.turboneticsownersclub.com, and the Turboneticws webpage. The dyno wasn't even done at Turbonetic. In fact the final Dynojet numbers were done at XS Engineering for when Turbo Mag did a TRD vs Turbonetics shootout. As for how it makes its power well you need to know something about compressor efficiency, mass flow rate. You also need to know the same things about the system you are comparing it to. Yes an intercooler will add some power as the compressed air is being cooled. Cooler air is more dense and thus carries more oxygen with it resulting in stronger combustion, which in turn results in more hp. If you are looking for a good resource about turbos and compressor efficiency as well as mass flow rate you might consider picking up a copy of Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell. If you are planning to turbo yur car this book is a must read.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by release2063
before opening this thread i saw the exact advertisement banner that enthusiast was talking about. It was a silver tc, that said 160 stock then the tc would drive across the banner and say 300 (whp) and you all are arguing about "whp at the crank" you can not have the same horsepower at the crank as you can at the wheels even without wheels like the monster motor works did with their dyno for the mmw header and they still did not have whp (wheel horse power) confused with bhp (crank horse power that is why that guy doesnt believe turbonetics. a stock tc makes 244 but that banner says 300 whp
I'll contact the Marketing Manager at Turbonetics about that. I have never seen a banner on this or any other site that says 300WHP for the Tc kit. But if its there I'll make sure its fixed.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
What really makes the difference is the amount of air the turbo can flow. So, while it may be boosting intake pressure, if the exhaust inlet and outlet cannot flow the volume of air needed, then it will not produce the numbers gained from simply looking at the boost pressure. You have to take into account the fact that the turbo is both producing an intake charge and an exhaust restriction at the same time.
engifineer said it right, it's not just about PSI you have to consider the CFM the turbo is pushing.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

somebody needs to get a screen shot to settle this once and for all...
Old 09-30-2006, 08:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

turbonetics claims 160 stock which we all know is at the crank, but they stated that you can get 300whp with 8 psi i know you can not possably do that, but the banner at one time said that. we know it is only 244whp but why would they leave the misprinted banner on here untill now?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nvm i just did... heres the pic folks
Old 09-30-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

where?
Old 09-30-2006, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by release2063
turbonetics claims 160 stock which we all know is at the crank, but they stated that you can get 300whp with 8 psi i know you can not possably do that, but the banner at one time said that. we know it is only 244whp but why would they leave the misprinted banner on here untill now?
They probably didnt know it was there and wrong. I am on this board quite frequently and still have not seen it.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

think a 70trim could put us at 300 whp at 8 psi???? or am i mistaken here????
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

zpi gets 300whp at 9 psi
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 09-30-2006, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ there lol
Old 09-30-2006, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its really ironic, right after i said someone needs to get a screenshot it came up lol

Quick Reply: I dont believe Turbonetics