Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...
View Poll Results: Wouldn't you trade it?
Nah, bro.. I wouldn't
54.05%
Hell yea- Hit da' shyt, son!
45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

I NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 12:34 PM
SL Member

Default I NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?!

I kinda need you guys to be as least TC-almighty-lovin’-toyota hippies (like myself) for just one second…

. . . I’ve recently been made an offer.

A guy I (kinda) know is having problems with his wife because she claims his car is too fast,
and is soon to get himself killed, plus, he’s 31 and has a daughter. He’s looking to sell it, and buy something more family’ish (you know what I mean)-

Anyhow,..
this man drives a 2005 Neon Srt4 (32k miles), and I drive a 2006 TC (13k miles),
and naturally, I love his car. I don’t care how you feel about “Dodge”, but this car is sick_
Excellent paint job, great interior, comes with a great sound system (which I don’t have), and he upgraded the wastegate, BOV, Stg 2 clutch, etc…

I need you guys to help me think...
He wants a clean trade with me…
Now,… All we really would be doing is swapping papers and taking over payments.
Here’s the thing, he owes $15,000 for his and I still owe $17,000 for mine, so technically I’d be getting an SRT4 for less money than my TC (He’d end up paying more for this trade in the long run, get it?)

I was saving up to boost my TC, but.. man… this would be great if it works out.
Not only do I not spend the extra $5k-$6k boosting my lovely TC, but I’d actually end up paying less than I initially owed.

His Dyno sheets show him putting down 270wph- so it’s nice . . . . trust me,
But I NEED to know what you guys think.

Don’t be so biased- I love my TC, and I think it’s gods gift to the eyes,
but I feel like It’s missing something (…uh.. some *****!)

What would you guys do?

ps- I felt better placing this thread here because in the end, everything comes down to FI
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love my tC. That being said, it sounds like you REALLY want that SRT-4. Given the same opportunity, I'd trade. Since I don't have the opportunity I'll just have to continue to save for some boost.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i dont particularly like the srt-4 but no matter what its still boosted unlike your tC which makes is sick...i wouldnt do it just cuz i love the tC and am boosting this summer but if you like his car more than yours go for it
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM
SL Member

No, yea...
I really, really want that SRT4, but I've been reading so much and no one has anything good to say about them. Honestly, 9/10 people have something negative to say about this car, but 9/10 who bash it,... i don't know. Their opinions seem a bit biased, and everyone favors the WRX, EVO, STI - I get it, these cars ARE better, but are the SRT4 's not any good?!
Am I putting my foot in my mouth with the srt4? It doesn't feel that way to me, but everyone else begs to differ.
Again, I DON"T KNOW for sure, that's why I'd like to know what you guys think
Old 04-13-2007, 01:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

if it still has a factory warranty on it then i say yes...the value of a used SRT neon is in pennies on the dollar because they are driven really hard and tend to fall apart.

some other things to consider...its going to cost alot more to insure the Neon. also the neon will prob be alot thirstier. (+$4.00 for premium this summer) not to mention no matter how fast it goes, its still a neon...buuuut (not to offended anyone) the tC has been turning into a girly car, its underpowered and top heavy (although that is a nice sunroof)

yea an evo or sti is faster but its also $10k more. That’s like saying don’t buy an xB because the WRX is a lot faster…$10k does A LOT in the car market.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Two ways to figure this out....

1. Follow your heart/gut

2. Create a page with pros and cons to the trade, devising a point system ranging from one to three (+/-) for either column. Tally it up and go with what the numbers work out to. In a sense your own judgement will still play a part because the points will be arbitrary based on your perception...here's a start for it...

TC: I love the car - +3
Srt4: Turbo +3 (tC would take a -3 here due to 5-6k cost)

Think of as much as you can and weigh them against each other such as gas mileage, comfort, etc.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

thats a good plan
Old 04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope, wouldn't do it. Hate neons.

Reliability is supposedly crap, unlike your toyota.

The car is older too.

Is the warranty (you said it's still in place) transferable to a new owner?
Old 04-13-2007, 01:46 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
if it still has a factory warranty on it then i say yes...the value of a used SRT neon is in pennies on the dollar because they are driven really hard and tend to fall apart.

some other things to consider...its going to cost alot more to insure the Neon. also the neon will prob be alot thirstier. (+$4.00 for premium this summer) not to mention no matter how fast it goes, its still a neon...buuuut (not to offended anyone) the tC has been turning into a girly car, its underpowered and top heavy (although that is a nice sunroof)

yea an evo or sti is faster but its also $10k more. That’s like saying don’t buy an xB because the WRX is a lot faster…$10k does A LOT in the car market.
...a man after my own heart_
If you were any closer, I'd buy you coffee or something.
My feelings exactly
Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rabid_Lemming
Two ways to figure this out....

1. Follow your heart/gut

2. Create a page with pros and cons to the trade, devising a point system ranging from one to three (+/-) for either column. Tally it up and go with what the numbers work out to. In a sense your own judgement will still play a part because the points will be arbitrary based on your perception...here's a start for it...

TC: I love the car - +3
Srt4: Turbo +3 (tC would take a -3 here due to 5-6k cost)

Think of as much as you can and weigh them against each other such as gas mileage, comfort, etc.
... a point system, eh?
Alright, i'll tally 'em up & post it up in a few

Thanks man
Old 04-13-2007, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Well Im another one who doesn't like neons. I dont think they look half as good as the tC's and the tC has a lot more potential. BUT if you really want the neon and are excited about it when you think about getting it then go for it. It sounds like a good deal for you but make sure you want a NEON because thats what it is, turboed or not.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Originally Posted by AngrySnail

...a man after my own heart_
If you were any closer, I'd buy you coffee or something.
My feelings exactly
haha i dont drink coffee but you can ups me a Mt. Dew or something haha
Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCduck
Well Im another one who doesn't like neons. I dont think they look half as good as the tC's and the tC has a lot more potential. BUT if you really want the neon and are excited about it when you think about getting it then go for it. It sounds like a good deal for you but make sure you want a NEON because thats what it is, turboed or not.

(As far looks, I really like their exterior)

...and yea, it's still a NEON
Old 04-13-2007, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I wouldn't recommend it. I like Dodge but their 4 cyl turbos are only good for so long. Look around and see how many turbo Dodge Daytonas, Chargers, Stealths, or Shadows from the 80's and 90's are still around. I can't remember the last time I saw one. That's because they were cheap junk. They were made to attract people who want to go fast on a budget. If you trade, you are trading into a money pit. You'll need more than the $2K you're saving on the trade to keep it running. If you plan on getting rid of it as soon as you start having trouble, that difference is going to be much more because you'll likely owe more than $2K when she starts breaking and that'll get rolled into the next car you buy.

Save your money and get a turbo for your TC. From some videos I've seen a turbo TC can outrun a Neon. It'll definitely outlast the Neon. Don't let short term speed cloud your judgement. You'll be buying into trouble and it'll cost you later.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

stay with the tc and boost it in the long.. @ the end of the day your resale value and car will hold longer then the srt4.. plus.. i know people who make less power then 270 and KILL srt4's on boost...
Old 04-13-2007, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

NO. I would definitely not do it.

Used SRT4's are trouble. Expect to pay a lot in repairs. They are cheap fast cars which break a lot.

There is a reason why dodge stopped making them.

My friend got one brand new and him and his buddies with srts always have problems and have to replace parts... Especially since you know this guy was into modding it, which means he probably beat on it pretty hard...
Old 04-13-2007, 02:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

i have hard time believing a turbo tC will outlast an srt neon...the Neon was designed (regardless of how good/bad you think) from the factory to stand up to a turbo. the tC was not. not to mention...you cant speak about the long term reliability of a turbo tC seeing as how no one has had one for longer then what 3 years?
Old 04-13-2007, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i have hard time believing a turbo tC will outlast an srt neon...the Neon was designed (regardless of how good/bad you think) from the factory to stand up to a turbo. the tC was not. not to mention...you cant speak about the long term reliability of a turbo tC seeing as how no one has had one for longer then what 3 years?
You are correct about noone really knowing how long a TC will last but as noted above, Neon owners have reported a lot of problems and Dodge has a track record of producing cheap turbo 4s that don't last. Toyota has a track record of making cars that outlast the Energizer bunny. Odds are in favor of a turbo TC, that isn't pushed to the extreme, will last longer than a Neon.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned
SL Member

My turbo'd tC lasted a grand total of 2500 miles before it blew up and it was installed and tuned by ZPI.

My roommate has an 03 SRT-4 with 50+ thousand miles and aside from minor boost leak is as good as the day it was bought.

I'm now building (and have been for the last year) a proper turbo'd tC and it costs WAY more than 6k. My engine management is 3k by itself.

Bottom line is, if you want boost, get a factory boosted car. If you boost something that was not made for it you'll end up spending more in the long run. My 6k to ZPI was a complete waste, the only part I'm re-using is my intercooler and I may even replace that at some point.

My .02 (more like my 13,327.02 cents)
Old 04-13-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
You are correct about noone really knowing how long a TC will last but as noted above, Neon owners have reported a lot of problems and Dodge has a track record of producing cheap turbo 4s that don't last. Toyota has a track record of making cars that outlast the Energizer bunny. Odds are in favor of a turbo TC, that isn't pushed to the extreme, will last longer than a Neon.
when’s the last time Toyota built a turbo 4? i have a friend with a non-srt neon pushing 200k miles. Until we have tC with a turbo passing 80k 90k 100k I don’t want to hear that a turbo tC is more reliable then a car that comes boosted from the factory.

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?!