Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...
View Poll Results: Wouldn't you trade it?
Nah, bro.. I wouldn't
54.05%
Hell yea- Hit da' shyt, son!
45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

I NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will not do it.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

the biggest thing that is over looked when you talk about the "reliability" of a car is the driver. i bet i can get the engine in my xB that has 20k on it to blow next week if i really wanted...im sure i could get a stock tC to blow in less than week if i really wanted. if you beat on your car when you drive its going to break. doesn’t matter what badge is on it, what engine is under the hood. it will break.

Im sure there are a lot of ppl with srt neons that are having problems but I will also bet that those ppl are driving the cars really hard so I would expect that. i think a lot of Toyota’s reputation of reliability comes from the fact that the core of there buyers don’t push the cars hard. They are A to B transportation that’s it. they don’t care about horsepower they car about mpg.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

and yes in the end it is just a turbo'ed neon...but in the end it is just a turbo'ed camry
Old 04-13-2007, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a couple things: I doubt the neon has any warranty with the mods that were done to it ( i'd check that first before letting it be a selling point ). As for value, go to kbb and compare pricing on the 2 cars to see each's true worth ( for comparison's sake ). Yes one can blow up anything, and one can make any car last. From what i've read the trans on the srt's has been an issue, not necessarily the motor.
To be honest, even if it were a used turbo tc i'd be leary--any performance car will be driven for enjoyment ( read: hard at times ) and those hard miles will take their toll--and the next owner could see the results.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My parents have owned two separate Dodges/Jeep/Chrysler vehicles
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2000 Dodge Intrepid

Jeep: Door locks not operating properly/not opening
Transmission failure, bad leaking seals
A/C leak in hoses

Intrepid: Door locks going bad...
Transmission repaired recently, same problem as the Jeep
A/C is not functioning because of lack of Freon due to leak

Do you see a pattern here? In three model years Dodge/Jeep could not address known problems that their vehicles had. They just kept on manufacturing the same junk and passing it off as "quality".

Now here’s a counterpoint that I recently discussed with my mother getting her to ditch this poorly manufactured crap, is that my 1991 Civic Si, is STILL RUNNING after all these years. To me, quality is everything, I think the SRT4 is a cool car, but the "Dodge" thing kept me away because I don't like to spend time fixing one stupid problem after another.

It’s your money and your decision, just be aware of what you are potentially getting into.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:40 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
My turbo'd tC lasted a grand total of 2500 miles before it blew up and it was installed and tuned by ZPI.

My roommate has an 03 SRT-4 with 50+ thousand miles and aside from minor boost leak is as good as the day it was bought.

I'm now building (and have been for the last year) a proper turbo'd tC and it costs WAY more than 6k. My engine management is 3k by itself.

Bottom line is, if you want boost, get a factory boosted car. If you boost something that was not made for it you'll end up spending more in the long run. My 6k to ZPI was a complete waste, the only part I'm re-using is my intercooler and I may even replace that at some point.

My .02 (more like my 13,327.02 cents)
....wow... your post it me harder than you think, bud_
Old 04-13-2007, 03:49 PM
SL Member

Damn guys...

Again, ... keep in mind,
A Toyota might last you 10yrs, and a Dodge might last you maybe 4, but at our age, who keeps a car that long anyway?
MAd props to you if you do, I just love owning diff stuff and getting a feel for it. If I would boost my TC, I know will most definitely hang on to it a little bit longer.

Actually, .. I was even thinking... Get the SRT4, drive it like a stold it for about a 1 year and a half, and then moving on...
Probably by then, i'd probably get $10k, but... whatever, right? DO i have the wrong mentality about this? I'ma looking at this in the wrong light?
Old 04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

you can only lose moeny buying and selling cars like that. a 5-6yr old SRT neon will be worthless

keep the tC. put the basic bolt ons. enjoy it for what it is. save your money and buy a new car in 3 or 4 years that will blow both of them out of the water. thats my advice
Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by AngrySnail
Originally Posted by Dyltone
My turbo'd tC lasted a grand total of 2500 miles before it blew up and it was installed and tuned by ZPI.

My roommate has an 03 SRT-4 with 50+ thousand miles and aside from minor boost leak is as good as the day it was bought.

I'm now building (and have been for the last year) a proper turbo'd tC and it costs WAY more than 6k. My engine management is 3k by itself.

Bottom line is, if you want boost, get a factory boosted car. If you boost something that was not made for it you'll end up spending more in the long run. My 6k to ZPI was a complete waste, the only part I'm re-using is my intercooler and I may even replace that at some point.

My .02 (more like my 13,327.02 cents)
....wow... your post it me harder than you think, bud_

dont go ahead and get rid of your tc just yet. just because one guy had his engine blow up dosent mean that it will happen to you. i have a zpi kit that i ran on a stock motor for almost a year and never had an issue with it. i got a new block put in, but the old one was still fine. im sure there are lots of very satisfied zpi, dezod, or turbonetics cutomers who can agree that it is pretty safe bosting a stock tc, as long as you take proper care of it.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^VERY GOOD POINT!! Bro, it sounds to me like your looking for the easiest way to get boost. Let me tell you, there is no easy, inexpensive way. 1. I myself would not feel comfy buying a used turbo'd car. I know how I drive my car . 2. Whether its boosted or not, its still a DODGE NEON (i'm sorry I had to say it). You seem like a smart guy, so i'm sure you'll make a good decision either way. I (as a tC owner) say build and boost your tC. I think you'll feel more satisfied and enjoy it more because YOU did it yourself. But please keep us posted as to what you decide.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM
SL Member

Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM
SL Member

I'll be honest guys, I 'wanted' the SRT4, but I knew it wouldn't have been the best move, so what I wanted more than the SRT4 was for my fellow scionlife members to talk me out of it_

** C O N G R A T S **
Old 04-13-2007, 04:24 PM
SL Member

thank god you have come too your senses
Old 04-13-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brett
^^LOL
Old 04-13-2007, 04:35 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
^^LOL
::sigh::

You guys can "LOL" all you want, but this sorta thing keeps you up at night_
It's 4 a.m. and i'm starring up at my ceiling wondering - " Do I really want a NEON? - Yo, but that ride dips- What If I get it, and remove the Dodge/Ram logo form the front and replace it with Toyota? Nah,.. i'll prolly get shot for doing something like that... but they'd have to catch me first... but then what I break down because I'd be driving a DOdge, and THEN get shot.."

..but I can breathe again_
Old 04-13-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^LOL

It's 4 a.m. and i'm starring up at my ceiling wondering - " Do I really want a NEON? - Yo, but that ride dips- What If I get it, and remove the Dodge/Ram logo form the front and replace it with Toyota? Nah,.. i'll porlly get shot for doing something like that... but they'd have to catch me first... but then what I break down because I'd be driving a DOdge, and THEN get shot?"

So no SRT4 for ya? Whats next?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
SL Member

i also heard that guys who drive neons ar 53% more likley to contract genital herpes...

you dont want herpes, do you???
Old 04-13-2007, 04:41 PM
SL Member

^^LOL

It's 4 a.m. and i'm starring up at my ceiling wondering - " Do I really want a NEON? - Yo, but that ride dips- What If I get it, and remove the Dodge/Ram logo form the front and replace it with Toyota? Nah,.. i'll porlly get shot for doing something like that... but they'd have to catch me first... but then what I break down because I'd be driving a DOdge, and THEN get shot?"

So no SRT4 for ya? Whats next?
..I thought you'd never ask

'Tis time finish what I started.... why boosting my TC, of course_
Old 04-13-2007, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default Re: I NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?!

Don’t be so biased- I love my TC, and I think it’s gods gift to the eyes,
but I feel like It’s missing something (…uh.. some *****!)
Then all you need is this behind your tC.

Old 04-13-2007, 05:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get that SRT-4 , i love those cars, too bad i couldnt buy it before they stopped making production of them.

Quick Reply: I NEED HELP QUICK! WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO?!