Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

I need pics of oil catch cans on turbo scions tc

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^^I do not have a CEL. Although I don't think the Hydra by itself makes this happen. My setup utilizes the stock wideband along with the wideband from the Hydra. You can see both on my downpipe in the picture below. The stock sensor is the one in plain sight. The Hydra sensor is not in plain sight, but the harness for it is right under the dipstick handle.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

You still have the cat underneath the car? if so, that is what's keeping your Cel in check. I'm pretty sure 99% of the turbo tC's still have the primary 02 Sensor installed still. I know I do, I have a catless exhaust though.

Your setup looks bad ___ by the way. I like the dump tube on the WG. I just got my turbo back today from Turbochargers.com
Old 01-29-2008, 10:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have the Turbo-Mafia 3" exhaust. I had a cat put in, but I plan on removing it once I pass state inspection and emissions (don't rat on me!). So, maybe your skepticism is right, the Hydra may very well keep the CEL codes away. You would have to get in touch with someone more familiar with the Hydra to get a definate answer, like Kenny.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah, I talk to him quite often. The Hydra is my next engine management system.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't the secondary cat in the bottom end of the stock header? I mean, as soon as you change the header, you loose your cat, right?
It's not in the midpipe, is it? Cause that wouldn't make sense, as that is after after both 02 sensors.

Anyway, My kit replaced the downpipe AND spipe, and with the AEM F/IC, I get no CEL. It's got an 02 spoofer. Just so you know, travis. I'd still go Hydra (or AEM EMS) if I had the cash, but as far as a piggy back goes, the F/IC is great.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
Scikotics
SL Member

yea my next big up grade will be a full standalone. I am also with no cat on my 3 inch esxt
Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
Isn't the secondary cat in the bottom end of the stock header? I mean, as soon as you change the header, you loose your cat, right?
It's not in the midpipe, is it? Cause that wouldn't make sense, as that is after after both 02 sensors.

Anyway, My kit replaced the downpipe AND spipe, and with the AEM F/IC, I get no CEL. It's got an 02 spoofer. Just so you know, travis. I'd still go Hydra (or AEM EMS) if I had the cash, but as far as a piggy back goes, the F/IC is great.

The secondary cat is the one in the mid-pipe, not the one in the header. You have two cats on the car stock, so yeah you do loose the first cat after changing the header, but you still have one under the car. I don't know though, as the second 02 is before the cat. I always threw the Secondary 02 sensor code. Not the Primary.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, the primary 02 sensor is befor the first cat, the secondary 02 sensor is after the primary cat. You get that code from removing the primary, and they read the differecne between the primary and secondary 02 sensors. Since the cat is removed, the secondary sensor sees much more air, and thows a code. The secondary cat does not affect any sensors except if the SMOG place puts a sniffer in your exhaust pipe.

The AEM F/IC has an 02 spoofer that sends the proper voltage to the secondary 02 sensor to make it think it is seeing the right AFRs so it won't throw a code.
The anti fouler trick pulls the secondary 02 sensor out a big so it will see less turbulant airflow which also tricks the sensor. I think when Todd designed the S-pipe on his turbo kit, he may have designed the bung for the secondary 02 sensor to sit further out to detect less airflow, because olaHalo has the same kit as me but is running the greddy blue and I dont' think he has a code.

obviously, you get alot more with the Hydra, but if all yoru worried about is the CEL, the anti fouler trick should work for you, and it's only $25!
But I thought your car ran better with the CEL on anyway, Travis! (I know mine did for awhile!)

Oh, and I thought that thing on the midpipe was just a resonator...I gotta get rid of that, then!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Yeah, I have the anti fouler, and I believe my 02 bung sits further back as well, but I still throw the CEL. Could be from the richness of the car, cause even with the fouler on, I still got black exhaust smoke on the sensor. Going to be cleaning it tonight. And yeah, it does run better with the cel....lol. Just looks clean when you don't have a cel light on the dash.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm...I forget...are you running any management at all? And the only code your getting is the P0420?
Old 01-30-2008, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I run Emanage. If I wasn't running any management, and able to trap 108 in the 1/4, I would have to be gods gift to driving.....or stupid...lol. J/K. But yeah Blue box. Only code I have thrown was P2 sensor. Forget the actual number, but I will get a reading later when I'm done putting stuff back together.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

WR catch cans look nice! :D

back from the dead!