Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Idle out of wack... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

Default Idle out of wack... need some help

A bit of background info: I installed the greddy kit about a year ago. I personally installed the 440 injectors with clips along with the rest of the hardware. Everything had been running great. The injector clips were butt connected as per the greddy kit instructions.

Now this is my current delema:

Satuday I tried soldering my injector clips. Im am about to upgrade my injectors to 750s. Originally they were butt connected with a metal fitting rather than the plastic ones that are more common. anyway, long story short, got everying back in the car and threw a code... something about the o2 sensor stuck rich. I went ahead and cleared the code and it hasnt come back.

The problem then became that my idle was about a whole point leaner than norm. (used to be 14.7-15.2) turned into 15.2-16.2. So took the day off of school today to try to fix the problem. Went ahead and checked the soldering I did, re-did it, and checked another injector clip that i thought might have been the problem. Double checked the sensor clips and fuel rail and tried it again.

GOT WORSE! at that point it became 16.2-17.0 at idle, but driving was normal this whole time.

Went back in, again checked the clips, injectors, sensors, rail, leaks, ect... tried it again and now not only does idle go above 17.0+ afr, at idle, under throttle its a bit irratic. Any ideas?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

this might be a dumb question but none of your wires you soldered grounded out? and the wires are covered?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

yeah, all wireing has been check for damage, and has been shrinkwrapped

all questions are welcome, i might have missed something and maybe one of you guys can figure it out

thanks for the response
Old 05-06-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

maybe try to reset ecu or engine management
Old 05-06-2008, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*shakes head*

So many tc problems right now its crazy like they are revolting!.... well your problem is simple! ... take out your injectors and check your O rings and your injector spacers and make sure they arent rock solid and lubed good!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

also you should take your neg terminal off the battery so the ecu can re learn the change you made.. i installed the dezod black box and had that issue.. took the neg terminal off for 15 secs then put it back on drove for 15 mins and the black box and my idle were excellente!
Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

everytime i worked on the injectors, i disconnected the neg on the battery. so it shouldve reset since i spent about 45mins to an hour each time trying to diagnose the problem. i have noticed that one of my injectors o-ring seems to be a bit loose on it, but there is no fuel leakage so it should be making a seal. thanks for the responses guys... keep em coming

im almost affraid to drive now... but ive got to get to work
Old 05-06-2008, 12:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

today on the drive to work though, throttle afrs were normal, its just idle thats super lean... i thought maybe its an exhaust leak from the downpipe to spipe, but if that were the case, the it should read lean all the time, not normal at first then lean out... so hmm... and the emanage should have anything to do with the idle. I dont believe it to be the AEM cause why would it go from normal on start up, to lean after a few mins, to normal while i drive... just weird. that leave me with either:

a) one of my sensors/possible ecu might be bad, but i still havent thrown another code yet for some reason

b) one of my injectors/clips is bad. Any idea how to check it?

also, at idle its lean, at about 1k - 1.5k rpm, the rpms dip up and down for a min, but then seem to steady out. Anything higher than 1.5k rpms is steady
Old 05-06-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

hey did you change the injector size in the parameter settings? i was thinking you prolly did but if not change it.. everytime i disconnect my ecu, my idle goes supper lean like what you said 15s up to --, it takes a while to get back to 14.7-15.3 maybe like 15 mins of letting it idle and then a lil throttle will throw it very lean too, its hell scary but what i do is drive it very slow and cruise, then gradually give some throttle and it will come back in like a day
Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

so i should give it some time to go back to normal then?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

but you did change the injector size in the emanage settings right? yeah it should go back unless you need a different tune, its a big jump from 440 to 750.. but if it doesnt go back and cant tune right away, try setting the emanage injector parameters to a smaller one let say 660 or 550, it should make it richer.. at least it worked for me, do it at your own risk though since that suggestion is no way professional but yeah thats what i did for my 550 injectors running lean, placed the setting to 440 and then im running rich, cant do WOT though cause i'll be running 10s afrs maybe lower
Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

they are the same ones ive had since i put the kit in (440s). would the emanage have changed these settings? also, would the emanage have anything to do with idle?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

the emanage tune maybe doesnt affect part throttle and idle but when you change to bigger injectors then its you ecu that compensates trying to put it back to 14.7.. but emanage does have an effect on idle and part throttle the thiing is we cant have it tuned consistently since the ecu unpredictably bypass the signal the emanage is giving.. im just speaking from what i've noticed, trying out different maps.. have you been driving your car and didnt go back the way it was? WOT afr is fine?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

i havent taken it to WOT.. ive been babying the car. tonight i go to class, ill see how it reacts tonight
Old 05-06-2008, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Crippie
today on the drive to work though, throttle afrs were normal, its just idle thats super lean... i thought maybe its an exhaust leak from the downpipe to spipe, but if that were the case, the it should read lean all the time, not normal at first then lean out... so hmm... and the emanage should have anything to do with the idle. I dont believe it to be the AEM cause why would it go from normal on start up, to lean after a few mins, to normal while i drive... just weird. that leave me with either:

a) one of my sensors/possible ecu might be bad, but i still havent thrown another code yet for some reason

b) one of my injectors/clips is bad. Any idea how to check it?

also, at idle its lean, at about 1k - 1.5k rpm, the rpms dip up and down for a min, but then seem to steady out. Anything higher than 1.5k rpms is steady
it could possibly be an exhaust leak.... I have a terible exhaust leak from my downpipe to s-pipe and it makes me idle off the wideband lean. under steady throttle and WOT it reads fine AFR's. could be that dont rule it out just yet, an easy way to check for that is to get under hte car while its on and just put your hand around where the two pipe meet....in my case i can feel a good amount of exhaust leaking out there.

goodluck, hope this helps
Old 05-06-2008, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

have someone else check your work. seems that the only reason it changed was when you tried soldering so have someone else go over it.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

ill check out the leak youre talking about, dont think thats it, but if youve had a similar instance, ill give it a shot. and yeah having someone elses eyes might pick up something i cant see. only problem is, id have to find someone who has some experience
Old 05-07-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

well drove it back from school and ive noticed that it dropped a point at idle... so its about 15-16 afr... still high, but better than before. my professor told me to check my vac lines so ill check that and the exhaust when i get a chance
Old 05-07-2008, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Good luck jiggah!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

i checked the vac lines and everything seems to be ok. this weekend, ill check the exhaust. so far there hasnt been a change in the readings... still very lean.

Quick Reply: Idle out of wack... need some help