Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

InsideLine test S/C tC w/Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
^^Problem with the last part of you post is that NO ONE road courses their Civics. They only drag. That's the only place you see them is the drag strip.

And I wasn't saying you couldn't compare the tC to an SI. I was talking about in terms of Aftermarket support, the tC is still a baby, where as the SI has been the epitone of the import world.

But in terms of comparing car to car, a stock tC can beat every other SI that has been produced. So, I will say that it was fair to compare the two. The SI is not like a GOD over the tC. And the new SI isn't that much faster. It's going to come down to a drivers race if anything. To close of #'s to say it's SOO much superior. Again, It's not enough of a car that I would back down from it if I saw it on the street. Even though I'm stock (for the time being). I wonder if I could edge out a slight victory with just a short shifter.

By the way...If you pay 4k dollars more (And in some cases they are going for 30k+...lol), I would hope your car was better than mine, as you paid more. In fact your car had BETTER have a FAAAAARRRR superior rating than my tC to pay that much more. In terms of SI, that's not the case.

This back and forth is like comparing the XBOX 360 to the not yet released PS3. Of course the PS3 is going to be better, the 360 came out before hand, and Sony has a chance to find out what to do and what not to do before releasing the PS3, based off of studying what it's competitors are doing.

It only makes since that the next tC or whatever that comes out of Scion will be compariable if not out perform the new SI. This battle will go back in forth so long as they continue to make cars. It's called COMPETITION.
Well for one, the tC is not faster than other Si's. A friend of mine with a tC raced a 1999 Si and lost twice, and won twice. Both equal drivers. After he did i/h/e, he raced a 04' Si that had i/h/e and both basically tied twice. So to say the tC is faster than any other Si is a understatement.

Hondas only drag? Um, again you are incorrect. When i owned my gs-r, one of the clubs i hung out with went to autox events twice a month as a team and ran. Also, i might point out if you go to integra or civic forums, you will see an even balance of autox and drag. If anything, i see more tCer's than run 1/8th and 1/4 mile vs. anything else.

As i've said before, not all dealerships are doing the % mark up. Infact, most of them aren't and the ones that aren't are the ones selling civics.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^I would gladly put our stock tC against any stock SI (including the new 06). It may be on a couple of message boards the balance is sorta equal, but how much does that account for all the racers out there?

Put it this way, we have yet to loose against an SI. Even went up against a lighly modded SI, and blow it away like it was standing still. That was when we were in the 05 tC with only an intake.

I'm sorry bro, but your friend can't drive. The last year the SI was out was what 2002? In which it's rated 0-60 @ 7.6 and 1/4 @ 15.8. Like I said, previous SI's are slower.

PS..Aren't you the guy that was arguing that a boosted xB would KILL a stock tC..
Old 01-16-2006, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I would gladly put our stock tC against any stock SI (including the new 06). It may be on a couple of message boards the balance is sorta equal, but how much does that account for all the racers out there?

Put it this way, we have yet to loose against an SI. Even went up against a lighly modded SI, and blow it away like it was standing still. That was when we were in the 05 tC with only an intake.

I'm sorry bro, but your friend can't drive. The last year the SI was out was what 2002? In which it's rated 0-60 @ 7.6 and 1/4 @ 15.8. Like I said, previous SI's are slower.

PS..Aren't you the guy that was arguing that a boosted xB would KILL a stock tC..
Trust me, he can drive. Hes 30yrs old with around 11years of track experience, the guy with the Si was 25 and is a professional track instructor, hes been doing that for two years. I think they can drive.

I seriously doubt your stock tC blew the Si away like it was standing still. Like i said, they are pretty equal so the Si could win, or tC could win just debating on drivers. Maybe Si driver couldn't drive well?

And a boosted Xb can kill a stock tC depending on boost levels and output of whp. Think about it logically, a 130whp Xb against a 138whp stock tC. Only 8whp difference, xb's gearing is more aggressive for the fact stock numbers are low..so gearing is close(r) to use hp logically and practically. Not to mention, weight. Pretty big difference in weight as well.

But this isn't a boosted xb vs tC thread is it? So lets not talk about that, if someone wants to debate that with me take it up with aim or PM me.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That the tC can match or beat previous tCs just shows how good the tC is to be able to defeat race tuned cars of the past. The Si always a built sport compact whereas the tC is a sport compact with economy roots. The tC against the modern Si now though is no longer an even match. For the most part, the numbers are pretty close which accounts for the difference in torque and the relative closeness in weight. What the Si has after that is an unyielding torque line where the tC has a falling torque curve past 6.5k rpm. This allows the Si to make that 200~ hp and beat the tC.

That is in a drag race.

In an autoX it would be even worse. The Si has some sports suspension in lieu of the tC's slightly sporty but pretty mushy and flood ready near SUV like springs. Before comparison in autoX the tC NEEDS some new springs and sways. I'm sure you'll all agree that in stock form, the tC handles with porky finesse (that is to say, it's porky, but somehow feels exceedingly stable.. at least it did to me.)

Stock for stock, I don't think the tC should be compared to the new Si even if the tC could match and/or beat previous Si's. They were built from the start with different purposes in mind (K20z vs 2AZ-FE.) Once someone builds a tC into a slightly truer sports compact, THEN one can compare the two more legitimately.

Please don't think I'm knocking the tC. Like I said, that the tC can beat prior Sis that were made to perform quickly shows how good the 2AZ with its economy background performs. I personally like the 2AZ better because.. well.. boost a 2.4 and a 2.0 at the same level and let us see which block makes more power! Just need that damn LSD.. I don't care which kind. Any of them will do, torsen, viscous, conversion, powder, they'll all make the car faster (or seem faster, dare I say, be able to fly.)
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh brother. The TC is not all that. I have one that was boosted and now it is stock and it's a slow bloated PIG . End of story. The car is not fast in stock form. It is slow as all hell. Sorry to ____ on anyone cheerios. But that's the way the ball bounces. I like the looks and the platform of the new SI and that;s what made me trade my old TC for it. I like it , and that's why I did it. All of this hog wash is not necessary. Both cars are nice looking to me, but the new styling of the SI, looks so much better to me. This is coming from a guy who hated Hondas with a passion until now. My plates tell the true story there. So now..................................CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG
Old 01-17-2006, 12:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
No he wasn't. A boosted box might be able to kill a stock tC in a drag..................................................... I don't think so. A boosted box would be able to hang with one a stock tC though. A good run may be able to beat a stock tC but whatevers. killerxromances normally points out that his xB was able to beat several tCs in autoX.

That the tC can match or beat previous tCs just shows how good the tC is to be able to defeat race tuned cars of the past. The Si always a built sport compact whereas the tC is a sport compact with economy roots. The tC against the modern Si now though is no longer an even match. For the most part, the numbers are pretty close which accounts for the difference in torque and the relative closeness in weight. What the Si has after that is an unyielding torque line where the tC has a falling torque curve past 6.5k rpm. This allows the Si to make that 200~ hp and beat the tC.

That is in a drag race.

In an autoX it would be even worse. The Si has some sports suspension in lieu of the tC's slightly sporty but pretty mushy and flood ready near SUV like springs. Before comparison in autoX the tC NEEDS some new springs and sways. I'm sure you'll all agree that in stock form, the tC handles with porky finesse (that is to say, it's porky, but somehow feels exceedingly stable.. at least it did to me.)

Stock for stock, I don't think the tC should be compared to the new Si even if the tC could match and/or beat previous Si's. They were built from the start with different purposes in mind (K20z vs 2AZ-FE.) Once someone builds a tC into a slightly truer sports compact, THEN one can compare the two more legitimately.

Please don't think I'm knocking the tC. Like I said, that the tC can beat prior Sis that were made to perform quickly shows how good the 2AZ with its economy background performs. I personally like the 2AZ better because.. well.. boost a 2.4 and a 2.0 at the same level and let us see which block makes more power! Just need that damn LSD.. I don't care which kind. Any of them will do, torsen, viscous, conversion, powder, they'll all make the car faster (or seem faster, dare I say, be able to fly.)
I pretty much agree with everything except the box comment.

Yes, 2az/tC does need lsd. It would take care of a lot of issues, although i have heard a few tC's a starting to have misfire problems, sealed ring problems and piston issues with their boosted motors.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Munch
Oh brother. The TC is not all that. I have one that was boosted and now it is stock and it's a slow bloated PIG . End of story. The car is not fast in stock form. It is slow as all hell. Sorry to ____ on anyone cheerios. But that's the way the ball bounces. I like the looks and the platform of the new SI and that;s what made me trade my old TC for it. I like it , and that's why I did it. All of this hog wash is not necessary. Both cars are nice looking to me, but the new styling of the SI, looks so much better to me. This is coming from a guy who hated Hondas with a passion until now. My plates tell the true story there. So now..................................CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG
Yep. And i remember talking to munch (i believe it was you) about honda one time prior to the offical Si release, and i can say he did hate honda to hell and back. I'm glad he changed his views though, honda = just as much as toyota does. Only major difference between honda and toyota is the fact honda puts more thought into performance aspect of things with every car they have. Of course, i'm not saying all cars they make are sport compacts but what i am saying is per class, each car has great potential except for one two. Which compare that to toyota designs, toyota is much, much more conservative compared to honda with performance.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I agree that Toyota is a little more conservative when it comes to the "performance" aspect of their line. I believe when they created SCION, they wanted to capture a little bit of that "performance" market back. But don't mistake their conservatism for a weakness. Remember, the turbo MR2 was built by who....Toyota. The Supra was built by who...Toyota. So, don't think they can't make a high performing automobile.

I'm not one for the new SI's styling. And yes, we blew away that SI. It was on a short drag track, and it got left like it was standing still.

The car is not fast in stock form. It is slow as all hell.

Previous SI's are even slower, so what does that say. The new 06 is not a blitz down the track either. JMO. I don't think anyone was looking down upon the new SI, and rasing the tC on a pedestal. All anyone really is saying is that the new 06 SI is not all that to trade a tC in for, and sure as hell not all that to cost 30k dollars. To me an UPGRADE is considered trading the tC in for a Rear or AWD, factory turbocharged or High displacement vehicle. Mediocre increase in performance wouldn't be enough for me.

All Scion is going to do is just take notes, and make a better car than the new SI. Like I said, this will go back and forth.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree that Toyota is a little more conservative when it comes to the "performance" aspect of their line. I believe when they created SCION, they wanted to capture a little bit of that "performance" market back. But don't mistake their conservatism for a weakness. Remember, the turbo MR2 was built by who....Toyota. The Supra was built by who...Toyota. So, don't think they can't make a high performing automobile.

I'm not one for the new SI's styling. And yes, we blew away that SI. It was on a short drag track, and it got left like it was standing still.

The car is not fast in stock form. It is slow as all hell.

Previous SI's are even slower, so what does that say. The new 06 is not a blitz down the track either. JMO. I don't think anyone was looking down upon the new SI, and rasing the tC on a pedestal. All anyone really is saying is that the new 06 SI is not all that to trade a tC in for, and sure as hell not all that to cost 30k dollars.
You guys need to quit referring to the few dealerships charging extremely high figures. Its a $20,000 Si, well, well worth the money when it comes to a performance compact.

Yes, Toyota has designed cars that performed extremely well. But the tC is not an mr2 nor supra. If Toyota wanted to capture the performance aspect again with the release of the tC, they wouldn't have sticked an oversized underpowered 2.4l in it. IMO. If they wanted to capture more performance within the Toyota background they would have probably used the 2zz, probably wouldn't have gone with an extremely heavy top with the solid glass roof and a few other things would have been different.

Instead of performance aspect, toyota wanted to build and make cars for Scion that could be had fairly cheap, have personality unlike other Toyotas, be unique and so on. This does not exclude the tC from anything.

Yes, the 2az can be built up. But so can any other motor out there. The 2az was not designed with performance on their minds. Which is why the k20 is a much safer, and better platform to start building from vs. the 2az.

Instead of telling me i'm mistaken Toyota with weakness, maybe you guys should take a look and see where the tC is as far as its place in the sport compact world. Its brand new, its not build for performance by any means. Its a nice, quick compact with standard features most cars in its price range either have but are options/trim levels, or don't have at all. Its made to be comfortable, and affordable for the younger crowds. (not saying it doesn't attracted older men and women, infact, its made to please all in the long run)

Bottom line is, some of you guys are really down playing the Si and what it can do, and really giving the tC the upper hand. Its understandable, since most drive tC's but please, all i ask is you remember where the tC's place is.

For the record, i'm not saying the Si is on the top of the food chain either. But its most certainly above the tC in every aspect of performance.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All anyone really is saying is that the new 06 SI is not all that to trade a tC in for, and sure as hell not all that to cost 30k dollars.
It's a set in the right direction for me and I paid no where near $30. That's the biggest joke I've seen all day
Old 01-17-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

rhythmnsmoke; i may have read the comment wrong but much was talking about the tC being extremely slow in stock form, not the Si.

And as i stated before, tC is equal to the previous Si body style. I know this from what my friend experienced, theres another guy on here that has raced stock for stock.

I know for a fact, i don't care how good of a driver you are rhythmn, there is no was you put the Si to shame like it was standing still. Sure, you could have beat the Si, i give you that but theres no way you smoked the living crap out of him/her unless, they weren't that good of a driver. Driver plays the biggest role with cars.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by killerxromances
rhythmnsmoke; i may have read the comment wrong but much was talking about the tC being extremely slow in stock form, not the Si.

And as i stated before, tC is equal to the previous Si body style. I know this from what my friend experienced, theres another guy on here that has raced stock for stock.

I know for a fact, i don't care how good of a driver you are rhythmn, there is no was you put the Si to shame like it was standing still. Sure, you could have beat the Si, i give you that but theres no way you smoked the living crap out of him/her unless, they weren't that good of a driver. Driver plays the biggest role with cars.

It got whooped. And when spring comes in and the track opens back up, I will get vids for you of us whooping up on them some more.

Instead of telling me i'm mistaken Toyota with weakness, maybe you guys should take a look and see where the tC is as far as its place in the sport compact world. Its brand new, its not build for performance by any means. Its a nice, quick compact with standard features most cars in its price range either have but are options/trim levels, or don't have at all. Its made to be comfortable, and affordable for the younger crowds. (not saying it doesn't attracted older men and women, infact, its made to please all in the long run)
Maybe you should have warned ZPI before they invested money in creating a boosted tC pushing 350+, and maybe you should have warned Jo Tech that they were wasting their time when they developed a 600HP tC, and maybe you should warn Dezod as well as Turbonetics that the tC's 2az was a waist of time before they made 250+whp on the platform (Not to mention, all except the Jo Tech one, is on UN-BUILT motors). I think we know EXACTLY where the tC's place is in the tuner world (with the tail lights in front of the SI if you ask me... )

Bottom line is, some of you guys are really down playing the Si and what it can do, and really giving the tC the upper hand. Its understandable, since most drive tC's but please, all i ask is you remember where the tC's place is.
Same can be said, that you are up-playing the SI like it's the greatest things since sliced bread.

The new 06 SI is a little bit better than the tC. The old SI's would get hushed up real quick though.

And for the record, I know their are better cars than the tC. But amongst SI's only the new 06 is better.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And for the record, I know their are better cars than the tC. But amongst SI's only the new 06 is better.
And that is why I made the trade
Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It got whooped. And when spring comes in and the track opens back up, I will get vids for you of us whooping up on them some more.

Maybe you should have warned ZPI before they invested money in creating a boosted tC pushing 350+, and maybe you should have warned Jo Tech that they were wasting their time when they developed a 600HP tC, and maybe you should warn Dezod as well as Turbonetics that the tC's 2az was a waist of time before they made 250+whp on the platform (Not to mention, all except the Jo Tech one, is on UN-BUILT motors). I think we know EXACTLY where the tC's place is in the tuner world (with the tail lights in front of the SI if you ask me... )

Same can be said, that you are up-playing the SI like it's the greatest things since sliced bread.

The new 06 SI is a little bit better than the tC. The old SI's would get hushed up real quick though.

I don't recall ever saying the 2az didn't potential, did i? Jo-tech didn't even use but maybe 20% of what the 2az has, the rest was custom built. I'm a fan of ZPI, don't get me wrong with that, but nor did i say the 2az couldn't be built either.

Before you start throwing numbers out there, you might also realize the 2az hasn't been pushed over a long period of time running 15psi for instance, pushing 300whp. Even companies you have mentioned will tell you this, they design for power and hope the motor will last. But in reality, no one really knows. Also, with that said theres already a few people on the boards with piston and piston ring issues. And i've heard two stories now of misfires running high psi ranges.

I might also point out that theres B16's running 250whp for fairly long periods of time, without major issues and thats more whp per liter than the 2az.

Also, with K series for instance, theres countless 250-260whp n/a build ups with the k20z3, k20a, k20a2 that last and is reliable, tuned for street. How many n/a tCs do you know that push 200whp? Not many, again, most due to aftermarket support, but theres also other reasons as well.

Again, i never said the 2az couldn't be modified and didn't have potential. What i am saying is however, the k20 is a better platform to start from than the 2az is. Also, k20 has more potential than the 2az as far as n/a and some f/i set ups, mostly due to how its designed.

Theres no replacement for displacement, thats a lot of what people say. However, displacement means nothing when the motor can't handle but so much power due to what its designed for.

Since you used Jo-tech for example, also being they didn't really use a 2az. There are 500whp+ boosted B20's, K20's, and other honda motors using a lot more of what honda provided vs. jo-tech.

Like i stated before, if Toyota really wanted to push performance on the tC, they would not have used the 2az. Period.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

k10, 15, 20 whatever floats your boat bro.... The only view I have seen of an SI was in my rearview mirror as I walked it. That and the B16a1 equipped Teggy, as we gained and passed it by a half car length at minimal.

PS..you probably think the xB motor has better potential than a tC...lol. Just messin with you bro. Don't take this so seriously. You like Honda motors. I like to have TQ to go with my HP, hence why we don't buy Honda Civics(Si's). It's all a matter of opinion and preference.

By the way, can you show me the threads where people where having misfires, and pistons go, as I have seemed to overlooked those people, and only read about the people who have put 20k miles on their turbo (such as ZPI, ScionDaD, Dezod and a few others).

And that is why I made the trade
Not good enough though.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

daymmmnnn

all i can say is

i my tC
Old 01-17-2006, 04:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me add support to rhythmnsmoke's claim about destroying a Civic si. I molested a 99 si last summer with my NA tC. I had zero go-fast mods. In fact, I had a stereo in the car (a little extra weight). I beat him so bad in the first race that I couldn't believe it. He said he missed a gear and wanted to run again. I went again cuz I wanted a fair race (and I felt bad for him). The next race was closer, probably not more than about 2 car lenths. Oh yeah, he had an intake and exhaust too. Either he was the worst driver I've ever seen behind the wheel of a Honda, or the 99/00 si is not nearly as quick as a STOCK tC. Oh, I also beat a Sentra SE-R V Spec that day (now I'm just bragging).
Old 01-17-2006, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Good kill....Keep up the good work. I lost to a Spec V by about half a hand. It was super close. That was the only race at the track we had that night that was a close one. I race a Teggy that night too, and him off the line and everything. He couldn't catch up, but then I freakin mis-shifted going into 3rd, and lost. Didn't get a chance to redeem myself, as these were the finals. Then the Teggy turns around and looses to some crappy car, all because of misinformation. The teggy had like a breather, header, intake, exhaust, and some other goodies.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hp sells and Tq moves. like i said before i love civic dyno's

500 hp 25 lbftq
Old 01-17-2006, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I just rode an 06 si last night. SI is better for sure. But if I had to make my decision again for the price, the look, and the stuff comes with it, I would still have chosed the tC.

Quick Reply: InsideLine test S/C tC w/Video