Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

InsideLine test S/C tC w/Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Iam no car expert or on engines I read a lot of articles on engines and turbos but other than then its all what I know form people around so this is purely my opinion...now that I got that out of the way:

When I was looking for a new car I really wanted the rsx type s however got the tcfor the price and after I sat in it I loved. Needless to say I was thinking maybe I should have waited until the si came out. That was until I sat in the car, (I didnt like the outer body to begin with and hate the community that comes with civics) The interior is pretty crappy compared to the tc, the stereo cant be changed unless you change the whole plate which i imagine will be expensive and a pain. The seats are the crapy cloth that I always hated, the side cloth isnt great either. The dash board looks kinda ok if you are into that kinda of thing but the dash is stretched to the window which is prolly a safety feature but looks quite rediculous.

Now ones again I am no expert on cars so correct me if iam wrong but you keep saying how the tc is a not a perforamnce car - Agreed, However the tc has lots of upgrades for it available to make it better handling and faster and things just keep coming out.
The si - An economy sports tuned civic with an NA tuned engine. NA copression of 11-1 and smaller displacement doesnt make it an amazing mod for a turbo. Amazing track car yes (thats even if you actually take it to the track but thats besides the point) it was build for the track period def not for drag I can even dig up the vid of jap race car drivers saying this( moslty because they dont do drag they only care about tracks)

My friend turboed his acura rsx s pretty cheaply cause he got a used kit. However I was pretty dissapointed with his gains. Dont get me wrong amazing fast car but the gain for the psi wasnt what i thoguht it would be.

And one more then dont get me wrong iam not arguing that the tc is better track car then an si. I am however saying that you guys are being rediculous arguing of 1/4 times of less then .4 differnce on 15s real drag racers would laugh at that.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now apart from all of that tc in my opiniong is a great car so is the si why are we arguing about tiny numbers in 1/4 miles and which engine is better. both arent enough far apart from each other for either to be considered much better.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TimmyT
The 5.0 liter comment is in DIRECT Relation to the "No replacement for displacement" debate.
How you didn't understand that is beyond me.

AGAIN! You force me to repeat myself...

WTF don't you understand?! When HP is the same but torque is different?

ALSO Put a freaking Supercharger on a civic SI and a Garuntee you the s/c TC with no additional tuning or aftermarket parts will still out torque the civic. and having Forged steel connecting rods and a lower compression ratio of 9.5:1 With out any additional work can be boosted to higer lvls safer than the civic.

Go ahead! Boost a stock civic k20z3 to the max, and boost a Stock tC to the max (Wich scionspeed has done and the tC handled 18 psi of boost on stock internals before it started to lift the head)

And we'll see what makes more power. DANG I can't believe i gotta get upset about this crap.

Get your head out of your butt kid. Numbers don't lie.

POWER is not Horse Power ALONE.

POWER is everything. HP.. Torque EVERYTHING.

Your stupid **** rebuttles "But but this 1.8 liter can make 300 whp just like a 2.4 liter...."
FLIPPIN' FINE AND DANDY!!!!

That 1.8l Is not making the Same POWER as the 2.4l.

Active on the honda forums my ****! Maybe in "Your GSR days"

But the head on the Civic Si is 100% 2.0l version of the TSX

If you clicked on the link I provided to a honda forum that you are so active on You would have learned that.

As for your lil "issues"...
Well hot dang! That one tC's wind deflector Blew up in the heat! Crap that means my car is only days away probably? Heck is probably some scion sun roof conspiracy...

I've seen one thread about a misfire... out of thousands of tCs sold.
I don't know the conditions of where they live how they drive, so how can I determine that it was 100% the tC's fault?
I know DOZENS of people that think they are the hottest drivers around but absolutely are horrible at driving...

My friend had a MT acura TL and thought he was the quickest thing on the road.
He'd take me for a "Thrill ride" and when i got out of the car all you could smell was clutch.. he quickly responded... "Do you smell my brakes??" When he did no hard braking whats so ever..

The point is Many people (particularly guys) won't admit they are less than a mediocre driver.
And unless you have conclusive proof that it was 100% engineering and not driver error Don't go around saying

"I heard this car did this... If you do that to it, then you'll blow it up!"
Thats all i have to say, you are one of the most stubbern people on here.
When have i ever said "i heard this car did this, blah blah?"

Who said this was a strictly boost thread anyway? This is pointless, i can't even talk to you. Bring rhythm back, at least he didn't hold onto the one thing that the tC has more in the entire debate of performacne. (tq) People like you are funny.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Typhoon
Iam no car expert or on engines I read a lot of articles on engines and turbos but other than then its all what I know form people around so this is purely my opinion...now that I got that out of the way:

When I was looking for a new car I really wanted the rsx type s however got the tcfor the price and after I sat in it I loved. Needless to say I was thinking maybe I should have waited until the si came out. That was until I sat in the car, (I didnt like the outer body to begin with and hate the community that comes with civics) The interior is pretty crappy compared to the tc, the stereo cant be changed unless you change the whole plate which i imagine will be expensive and a pain. The seats are the crapy cloth that I always hated, the side cloth isnt great either. The dash board looks kinda ok if you are into that kinda of thing but the dash is stretched to the window which is prolly a safety feature but looks quite rediculous.

Now ones again I am no expert on cars so correct me if iam wrong but you keep saying how the tc is a not a perforamnce car - Agreed, However the tc has lots of upgrades for it available to make it better handling and faster and things just keep coming out.
The si - An economy sports tuned civic with an NA tuned engine. NA copression of 11-1 and smaller displacement doesnt make it an amazing mod for a turbo. Amazing track car yes (thats even if you actually take it to the track but thats besides the point) it was build for the track period def not for drag I can even dig up the vid of jap race car drivers saying this( moslty because they dont do drag they only care about tracks)

My friend turboed his acura rsx s pretty cheaply cause he got a used kit. However I was pretty dissapointed with his gains. Dont get me wrong amazing fast car but the gain for the psi wasnt what i thoguht it would be.

And one more then dont get me wrong iam not arguing that the tc is better track car then an si. I am however saying that you guys are being rediculous arguing of 1/4 times of less then .4 differnce on 15s real drag racers would laugh at that.
This also isn't a "real drag racer" forum. I also will point out i'm all for autox road course debates, but everytime i bring it up everyone goes back to 1/4 because thats apparently what 90% of everyone here does. Kind of sad, it got old IMO fast but oh well. So this is why we are having 1/4 debates.

Personally i think this is useless, Timmy has said nothing knew, he repeats everything he says constantly and everything he has saying has been covered x10.

I vote lock this thread, it was fun at the beginning but now its dragging on and no one is really saying anything knew.

I just hope when this thread gets locked, 5 more tC vs Si threads pops up. Enough is enough, Si is more of a performance car than the tC, it can out perform the tC mod for mod, it can out perform the tC n/a build up, f/i build up overall tC will take it for numbers but Si is very close behind. Blah blah blah, and lock.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

indeed I agree. One last thing to clarify though was that my point wasnt that the tc was a better performance car it obviousl is not a track car (not 1//4) My point was why are you guys arguing about less then.5 sec in the quarter mile like i said in 15s that number is laughable to a true drag racer a person that modifies their car to run strictly for drag events.

si is obviosuly a better track car stock for stock over the tc i mean comeon if you are going to say the tc is better you are way over your head in denial, suspension no lsd too much body roll heavier. However nothing that cant be fixed with mods.

In the end the cars arent tremendously different to argue about that was my point when they make a wrx (non sti) for 20000 then start saying how there is somethign much better for the money other then that whats the point pick what you like.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

this is so chilish its not even funny (anymore)

Old 01-22-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw to be fair I can say for a few grand more you can get a much better car say wrx say str4 but more money btw civic and wrx same price diff then the tc and civic. but then again for a few more grand there is always somethign better come on cant we just say that the civic is a better performance car (in auto x event, because liek i said the 1/4 diff is seriosuly laughable to be considered important nither of the cars is a 1/4 good run)but with a bigger price tag liek wrx is better then a civic with its price tag. But it can be made up in tune with that extra money so you wind up just pickign the car you liek anyways. Ok end rant.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw about auto x, can anyone help me out with how I can find a real track auto x event i find are only the cone kind.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

Thats all i have to say, you are one of the most stubbern people on here.
When have i ever said "i heard this car did this, blah blah?"

Who said this was a strictly boost thread anyway? This is pointless, i can't even talk to you. Bring rhythm back, at least he didn't hold onto the one thing that the tC has more in the entire debate of performacne. (tq) People like you are funny.
You just posted not to long ago about a FEW people having mis-fires and other minor issues did you not? and becuase of the issues with a FEW cars you come to a conclusion that the 2az has something wrong internally? With out any evidence that it was 100% mechanical and not driver error that is an assumption of ignorance sorry to say.

This thread is about the supercharged tC... in the tC Forced induction forum....
That said this thread is about boost.

The s/c tC and civic is equal in almost every aspect save for 2.. the LSD and Torque.

I took your gearing advantage from you and proved it false.

The LSD isn't going to make up for a 10 whp difference (I still say its closer to 20, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) and a 60 ft/lb difference in straight line.

So in a Civic SI vs s/c straight line performance Debate. Someone Pro-tC would logically focus on What aspect? And what would someone pro-civic focus on?

Well on HP the civic is lacking.. on torque the civic is definitly lacking, Stale mate on the gearing..

The only thing left is the LSD in favor of the civic.. and guess what. In a straight line it isn't going to make up for where the civic is lacking.

So everything about the civic vs. TC thread is purely cosmetic or auto-x. (and there is nothing to say you can't get all parts necessary for auto-x'ing the tC delivered tomorrow if you have the money).

So that leaves cosmetic: Interior and exterior appearance is totally opinion based. Ride comfort and entertainment aspects are also opinon based.

You keep comming back with the Magazine comparison wich I have already made clear I think it was a favored article.

The ONLY thing keeping your debate alive is that article.

How bout proving some of the pro-tC guys wrong. Since we have done a fair job of dis-crediting your posts.

Prove me wrong that the Si doesn't have less WHP than the tC..
Prove me wrong that the Si only weighs about 28 lbs less than the tC..
Prove to me wrong that the Si has less torque than the tC..
Prove me wrong about the Si not having a gearing advantage over the tC..
Prove me wrong that the article was not one sided..

For a fair and un-objective comparison They should have matched mod for mod and then compared. AND yes I mean they should have supercharged the Civic Si, but guess what.. no aftermarket support. Although Mugen has a S/C Si I believe.

They should have supercharged the SI. slapped on the wheel and tire package. the lip kit. and all the options available. INCLUDING the new suspension package they have for the new generation civics.
Then compared price for price and pound for pound performance and value.

Then and ONLY then would they prove they were not making a favored decision for the civic SI.

Then and ONLY then. Will myself personally be satisfied with a comparison of the 2 vehicles.

My Only and MAJOR objection to that propogandist B.S. they call jounalism is how lop sided and favored it was. How it totally mis represented the scion tC and mis leads its readers.

And if you can't agree with that comparison. Then you should have your parents put some kind of restriction on your computer time. Cause you shouldn't be able to participate in any kind of debate other than ones involving the phrase:
"I know you are.. But what am I?"
and
Old 01-22-2006, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this thread took four beers to read. longest ten minutes of my life! what all you "racer" types (no disrespect intended) seem to forget is....who cares? it's a freakin' tC and a civic!

sub-compacts in the under 25K range. i was half expecting to see a focus st owner chime in "the duratec 20 delivers plenty of torque and has 136 hp, while the most powerful engine available is the duratec 23 engine in the Focus ST, with 151 horses."

thanks, that was fun.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4GTSCION is one too many characters dude... you'd be better of with 4GET_TC or FKSCION or something to that degree :-p

Personally I'm stuck in between which to choose (S/C tC or Civic Si) They're both good cars from good companies. You really have to admire honda for sticking with the 197hp 2L as opposed to doing the popular thing and dropping a turbo/supercharged 2.2L+ motor in the ol' 'vic.

as for the pricing, as nice as the new Si is, I would never EVER pay 34K for one. For that just get an RSX which is essentially the same thing in a lighter package.....
Old 01-22-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know someone who works at a dealership they said that the car is going for 25,000 out the door which is overpriced but i guess some people cant baragin so that price is understandable but 34k anyone who pays that must have money to flush down teh toilet.. if I wanted an SI i can get it with all the packages for the base msrp .
Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Undecided_Fate
4GTSCION is one too many characters dude... you'd be better of with 4GET_TC or FKSCION or something to that degree :-p

Personally I'm stuck in between which to choose (S/C tC or Civic Si) They're both good cars from good companies. You really have to admire honda for sticking with the 197hp 2L as opposed to doing the popular thing and dropping a turbo/supercharged 2.2L+ motor in the ol' 'vic.

as for the pricing, as nice as the new Si is, I would never EVER pay 34K for one. For that just get an RSX which is essentially the same thing in a lighter package.....
Base is $19,990. Look around, there are plenty of dealerships charging $19,990.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You gotta remember that market location has a lot to do with this--w/ people from So. Cal being in love w/ theirs, I'm not surprised by the markup.

(I believe those window sticker prices that were posted on here are form So. Cal)
Old 01-23-2006, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lyrictenor1
You gotta remember that market location has a lot to do with this--w/ people from So. Cal being in love w/ theirs, I'm not surprised by the markup.

(I believe those window sticker prices that were posted on here are form So. Cal)
This is true, but to say the Si is a $25,000 car is wrong. While some dealerships (even east coast) have the mark up, majoirity don't. Thats kind of like saying tC owners have a $20,000 car since re-sale at dealerships have a overwhelming mark up. I've even seen xb/xa's stock, in decent shape with high milage sell for $20,000+.

Its a $19,990 car. Not mid 20's or 30's and that was my point.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow... I cant believe I did that ^^^^^^ (responded to a post from the first page without realizing there were 6 other pages! :-p my bad!
Old 01-23-2006, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Undecided_Fate
You get 8 characters in Ny. How do you think my current plate reads "4GETHNDA" Trust me bro I already checked and the plate IS available. Check for yourself if yu don't believe me

https://corvus.dmv.state.ny.us/perso...atedisplay.cfm
Old 01-23-2006, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Killerromances, I'm right w/ you there-- i was also just saying that's what the market forces dictate around these parts, and if that's what people are willing to pay, well then that's what ya get..
Old 01-23-2006, 04:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Geesh! I thought I had put an end to this thread. Guess TimmyT picked up where I left off.

Anyhow...Anyone got any SI buds near me that I can roast. I like swatting those buzzy little bast*@#%
Old 01-23-2006, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't forget to get it on tape.

You make me glad I didn't get that blue 99 Si for 4 grand.

Quick Reply: InsideLine test S/C tC w/Video