Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Intro, and Questions about Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM

Default Intro, and Questions about Troubleshooting

Whatsup folks, My name is James, I live in North Jersey, I am new to posting, but not new to reading SL. I have lurked for as long as I can remember to learn what folks are doing to their tC's and get some advice on mine. I'm having a few issues, I have searched and searched and I'm just not finding the answers to my exact questions. So I am sorry in advanced if this has been posted before - but I just couldnt find it.

My tC
2006 Auto, TRD Supercharger, K&N Typhoon CAI, TRD Axleback, bunch of other mods, but nothing that affects HP.

My Problem
I still have the stock header, main reason being, I just don't know enough about the ramifications to the A/F by installing an aftermarket header that won't allow the sensors to read properly. However, my car has killed two cats, first in June of 2008, and just recently. Because my car has 75,000 miles on it, it's no longer covered under warranty, and the warranty that came with the second exhaust manifold expired after a year(June 09).

Questions
1. Has anyone tried to replace their header while leaving the supercharger entact? Is it impossible? Or simply just a PIA.
2. If I were to replace my stock, killed header/cat with an aftermarket header(sans cat), is there anything I can do or get that will allow the A/F to be correct.
3. Has anyone gone through Cats like this? The dealership has told me everything else looks fine, except for the cat not doing its job. But I'm under the impression that cat's should last the lifetime of the car, so something's not right.

I'm not so concerned with the CEL, I have a scanguage 2 that allows me to read and clear codes, what I'm more concerned with is the car running properly. I would move to an aftermarket header in a heartbeat if I didnt believe that the car woudl run too rich or too lean. But like I said above, I just don't know enough about the subject.

Any advice or help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,

James
Old 12-30-2010, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any Stock car runs a tad rich when u add bolt on's.......Any Car you get and just addon parts and run it it will run rich but its not a huge deal i had the megan header, s pipe, injen cold air and megan racing full exhaust drift spec.... and my car ran great and idles perfect..... now im turbo so its a lil diff but ....another thing any header u get no matter what manufacture you get it will sound raspy... When u add all the bolt on's use your super charger and tune it you will be fine id run straight pip screww the catt bakk any way i took mine off so it wont go bad for a while and outlast olast other peoples cat bec im not using it..... i still have it just incase i need it

I have seen tc's with a supercharger and aftermarket intake and headers yes a/f will be ok but it will be pefect if u get it tuned.

Slick
Boosted Tc*
Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

The tc ecu will adjust to the header, only problem will be that the primary cat will no longer be there so the secondary o2 sensor will throw a code (p0420). throw on an antifouler on the secondary o2 and that most of the time will take care of the code.

if the cats are being clogged I would think its due to running extremly rich or oil consumption. check your scanegauge for fuel trims and take a look at your charge pipe for oil.