Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

J3st3r's Setup(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Alright....so here is how everything went. The Unicorn once again put up a fight.....

First off the built motor: here is what happened. Engine was built and everything appeared to be fine. They put the motor in the car and started to dyno tune it. A squealing noise was heard coming from the motor. So they let everything cool down and fired it up again...noise was there, and then gone. Not wanting to take any chances at all, given the events last time, they pulled it. To get me back up and running they swapped everything over to a stock 07 motor, and tuned it just on the wastegate. Which is the setup I was running when I initially picked it up a few weeks ago, and is what I was running at IA. At that point it was decided, since there were several events coming up, to just run with the stock motor and let them have some time to go through the built motor.

So...then...out with the old turgo setup, enter Ptuning setup...and that leads us too

Friday Night
1) Wanted to try Travis emanage harness to rule it out as a cold start issue I am having. So...I begin to unhook my harness when I feel something slip....I look at the harness....and where a$$ face (KS) spliced into my factory harness the wire actually pulled out of the factory harness....NOT GOOD. There is no wire for me to solder onto to try and fix it. So after some brainstorming, I find away around that.
2) Now around 10pm on Friday night(supposed to leave @5:30 Sat morning)Took the car for a test drive on the interstate. Car was still pretty rich, so brought it home and leaned it out. More test drives, and they afr much better. SO one last look under the hood to make sure all is good...... I notice there is fluid on top of the trans and on the coolant lines that go to the block. So after some sleuthing, I figure out it is coming from the oil pressure fitting/turbo oil feed line. So really no biggie there just a little time to fix. All is good....

Saturday Morning
After driving about 30 miles, still not real happy with the afr, as I have used a 1/4 of a tank of gas in 30 miles. So stop for some breakfast, and then a little more fuel pressure adjustment, and I am happy. BTW...I brought damn near all of my tools in case I need to tackle anything....this tune was going to happen come HELL OR HIGH WATER!

Car drives perfect all the way down.
11:30 - I arrive and we get the car strapped on the dyno, and then we all head out to lunch
1pm - Initial roll out, and Roy(tuner) is not liking something. So he fires up the Snap-On MODIS scan tool. He finds that front o2 sensor is having an issue, something about the heater circuit, and the voltage is not changing. So after tracing wires, checking diagrams, we eventually have to use a different 02 sensor, and we are back in business

**At this point I should tell you that Roy(tuners) fiance is on a plan in route from Florida, and he is suppose to pick her up at 3pm**

2:15ish - Adjust the fuel pressure, and make an initial pull just on the wastegate spring. We check the graphs and I think we are at or around 290whp. We do some comparison with my previous setup and notice that at the same psi(7) the 3076R is making 25 more HP than the GTK-550 did.

2:45 - We now hook up the electronic boost controller to turn it up. First pass........um 7psi.....more tinkering with the boost controller....2nd pass....7psi...>_<...WTF. So Derek tests the solenoid, and its working fine. Luckily he has another Profec-B on hand and we swap the main unit, and we are good to go. Word to the wise here....make sure when you buy stuff on SL that you make sure the ____ was working before you bought it.

3:45 - 9psi run, car makes 301whp. We then start doing some comparisions, and found something interesting things.
a) The GTK-550 I had actually spooled faster than the 3076R
b) Nick Loves car on the 57 trim is making more power because his setup is actually spooling faster

4:45 - 10psi 310whp,stock rev limiter is killing us, few more pulls still running into rev limiter....decision time..

6:00pm - At this point I am beat, Roy is 3hours over meeting his fiance, and I still have to drive back to TN. So I contacted Travis to get his Rev cut map for the emanage, but we decide that on the stock motor, and knowing the Unicorns....well temperamental nature to just be happy with a fairly successful day. So test drive time, I head out, and low and behold an Audi TT turbo pulls literally right out in front of me.... man do I hate that. Well the stop light turns red, and the lane I am the right lane which has to merge left into the other lane....which is where the Audi is.........So long story short...green light, Audi squeals the tires.....I launch.......blinker...and I am in the left lane now...3 cars ahead of him!!

So got gas on the way back, and calculated my gas mileage......25.957mpg!

get home and then....

Plan is to just ride out the rest of the year on the stock motor, and then put the built motor back in for next year and turn her up to 17psi or so. At this point really happy as to how its running
Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Test Production Filter Cover!

and more goodies....AiM SOLO GPS Lap Timer and Data Logger

Old 08-23-2011, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad you got it up and running Sucks about the built motor What exactly was the noise? Try locating it with a stethoscope? I know my built motor has ridiculous valvetrain noise but its just a tapping sound. I have BC valvesprings/retainers but stock cams. Someone previously said over time it could damage the cams. I have 10k miles on it now and its still loud, but I pulled the valve cover and rechecked the clearances - all were within +- 0.002" of how I initially set them :/
Old 08-23-2011, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
Glad you got it up and running Sucks about the built motor What exactly was the noise? Try locating it with a stethoscope? I know my built motor has ridiculous valvetrain noise but its just a tapping sound. I have BC valvesprings/retainers but stock cams. Someone previously said over time it could damage the cams. I have 10k miles on it now and its still loud, but I pulled the valve cover and rechecked the clearances - all were within +- 0.002" of how I initially set them :/
Unfortunately I was not there to hear the noise so really dont know the actual details.

For me what I really enjoyed most about the Ptuning setup was that I installed everything/did all the work myself, so I now exactly how everything went together, no relying on somebody else to do the work, no waiting and dealing with shop schedules, etc.......which is pretty much what bit me in the A$$ 3 years ago when this whole project started. That was the first time I had ever let anyone else work on my car........damn hindsight anyway....
Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly. After everything I read about shops Im glad I do all my own work. Literally the only thing I didnt do on my car was the shortblock machine work and assembly. All the longblock assy, turbo setup, motor/tranny swap, fuel system etc - was all done by me in my garage.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

car sounded strong! sorry to hear about the engine and harness.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interested in the motor teardown
Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

This car is so epic with everything...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
This car is so epic with everything...
I really think Jerry Bruckheimer should pick up the movie rights!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Your car is a drama queen brian
Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Testing out the new track setup.....I have learned that these wheels are like impossible to photograph. They are gunmetal but much darker than my 19's so they just look black. However all fits/drives well...2 weeks until I get to put these to the test!

Old 08-29-2011, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Brian your car looks beautiful man.

Sent from my DROID incredible
Old 08-29-2011, 04:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

Originally Posted by Syldrin
Brian your car looks beautiful man.

Thanks man!

Also worked on my project cover

Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Looks good my man

Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

pretty sweet brethren!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

That's a nice cover Brian!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions

SL Member

At Scion Exposed on my 19" rims and street tires! This is the finals....winner takes all!!!

From now on Kevin - Slikk is commentating all my videos!!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by j3st3r
At Scion Exposed on my 19" rims and street tires! This is the finals....winner takes all!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IovZodFHD14

From now on Kevin - Slikk is commentating all my videos!!
Good trap speed! need slicks or radials!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So that run was with 310whp on 10PSI?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice run!!!

Quick Reply: J3st3r's Setup(s)