Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Jet-hot cast iron or cast SS manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Jet-hot cast iron or cast SS manifold?

I'm currently running a cast iron "Treadstone" clone T3 manifold that I painted black with VHT 2 years ago. Needless to say the mani is rusting in spots and doesn't look so good these days. I want to clean up my engine bay and am considering two options.

1) Get a new "Treadstone" clone mani and have it coated with Jet-Hot 2000 black. Cost - $250

2) Get a cast SS "Treadstone" clone mani and bolt it on. Cost - $260

I know that cast iron manifolds are very durable but don't know much about cast SS. I know that even cast SS will discolor over time but AFAIK it retains heat better than cast iron and won't rust. Looking for educated opinions. TIA.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

or send me your current mani, ill clean it up and have it chrome plated and sent back to ya in 1-2weeks
Old 04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the same manifold - I coated it with Cilgen Satin Black

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-p...-coatings.html

Mines held up great - Ive power washed the engine bay a couple times now and its still in great shape. I used it on my manifold, turbo hot side, wastegate, and downpipe, the only thing it didnt hold up on was the wastegate - more than likely because its a different material.

Just make sure to apply it correctly and youll be good. Basically sandblast all parts with 80-120 grit, than clean them WELL, I basically bathed the parts in acetone than made sure all the acetone evarporated. After that I shot them with 2 even coats of the cilgen satin black using a small hvlp detail gun. No baking was required, just let all the parts air dry for 2 days before putting them on the car.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
or send me your current mani, ill clean it up and have it chrome plated and sent back to ya in 1-2weeks
I can't tell if you're being serious or not?

Originally Posted by thendawg
I have the same manifold - I coated it with Cilgen Satin Black

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-p...-coatings.html
Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid that since I don't have access to a sand blaster or spray gun I may as well send it out to someone who can do it all.

Any thoughts on the cast SS manifold? It comes with a polished finish and I imagine that it discolors much the same as tubular SS does.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, doing the techline stuff yourself, no longer becomes economical if you dont have the equipment, unless you plan on buying the equipment and doing several more projects down the road. I actually bought a sandblaster for this, but I got a cheapo for $25 from Harbor freight. The gun, compressor, and other tools needed I already had.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:18 PM

get the new treadstone on the cast ss is amazing much better casting than cast iron borg warner is making the new efr series turbos with cast investement ss turbine housings and center sections because it is much better than cast iron and when polished the ss is very beautiful and when heated looks sweet when it oxidizes imo it turns a beautiful burnished bronze color
if you dont want to spend the money that way your best bet would be to contact swaintech coatings and have them do your mani in their white lightening coating which is a true thermal barrier and will help you with spool as well vs the super thin coatings by jet hot and others which are just paint the coating from swaintech is pretty affordable
Old 04-20-2011, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i was serious Fred. though you will need to pay for shipping and plating. you can also get nickel plate if you really want. I dont do the plating but there is a place nearby in houston that does this stuff. if i remember correctly chrome plate starts at 200.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

also have a customer that has the ss cast mani..

Name:  IMG_1833.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  163.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1834.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  118.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1836.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  143.6 KB

and it will discolor just like any other ss mani
(best shot i had of the mani before i repolished it)
Name:  IMG_1818.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  154.6 KB

its fairly easy to repolish, get mothers power cone and rubbing compound. unless the discoloration is pretty bad like in the pic then you want to start with barkeepers friend (cleaning powder much like comet) and the power cone.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
I actually bought a sandblaster for this, but I got a cheapo for $25 from Harbor freight. The gun, compressor, and other tools needed I already had.
I'd love to buy a sand blaster but first I need a garage and an air compressor. All I have now is a lot of hand tools and a driveway.

Originally Posted by loroku
get the new treadstone on the cast ss is amazing much better casting than cast iron borg warner is making the new efr series turbos with cast investement ss turbine housings and center sections because it is much better than cast iron and when polished the ss is very beautiful and when heated looks sweet when it oxidizes imo it turns a beautiful burnished bronze color
Thanks! Cast SS it is then. I got a quote from Jet-Hot today and they want $210 just to coat it! $50 extra for prep work and shipping both ways! What a rip-off.

Originally Posted by crush02342002
i was serious Fred. though you will need to pay for shipping and plating. you can also get nickel plate if you really want. I dont do the plating but there is a place nearby in houston that does this stuff. if i remember correctly chrome plate starts at 200.
Sorry dude, I don't know much about chrome plating and didn't know it could be applied to cast iron. Everything considered it seems like the cast SS mani is the way to go. For $260 I can just bolt it on with no shipping, no waiting and no chance of a coating or plating peeling off down the road. Thanks so much for the offer and the photos! I love the way the SS mani looks on the engine!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, as you know, exhaust parts usually rust from the inside out so the paint wasn't really going to do much. Ceramic Coating it from the start would have been your best bet, as the coating goes inside and out. At this point, the SS manifold is probably your best bet.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
Well, as you know, exhaust parts usually rust from the inside out so the paint wasn't really going to do much. Ceramic Coating it from the start would have been your best bet, as the coating goes inside and out. At this point, the SS manifold is probably your best bet.
Since it's cast iron the only reason I painted it was appearance. I doubt I'll own the car long enough to worry about it rusting through. I think you're right about the cast SS manifold being the best choice. Better functionality and much better looking.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I just got my cast SS manifold today and I'm a little disappointed. The casting has a lot of small voids and the "polished" finish is only 1/2 done. It's still got lots of scratches, swirl marks, dull areas and the mounting holes are drilled for 10mm studs instead of the 8mm studs used in the head.

It doesn't look nearly as good as the photos Crush posted above. Is this normal or should I return it?

Last edited by ScionFred; 08-04-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

really? where did you get it from? the mani I posted came from turbochargers.com
Old 08-04-2011, 12:26 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

although you have to remember i polished that mani and gave it a little TLC... though it wasnt much, All i really did was get rid of the discoloration and a good ol' polish.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got it from EMUSA. See the photo I added above. It's not horrible but I didn't expect to have to do so much polishing to make it look acceptable.

I checked turbochargers.com but they don't even have a photo of it. They do charge over $500 though vs the $260 I paid. Maybe they finish polishing it for the extra money?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:52 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

idk...but your mani doesnt look that bad...just a little 2k grit and polishing compound you should be set.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I guess you're right. It looks a lot worse up close than in the photo and similarly I imagine your customer's mani has flaws that don't show up in those low res photos. It is cast after all. I will say that the runners are a LOT smoother than the cast iron version. Thanks Crush.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah there are some dimples and flaws here and there, just look close enough and you can spot atleast 3 pits.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I over reacted because I was already ____ed off about the whole transaction. EMUSA shipped it Fedex in-person signature required. Fedex gnd always comes by around 6 pm when I'm at work so I missed the first 2 attempts. The third day I waited around for the delivery but the delivery guy didn't ring or knock. He just stuck a tag on the door while I was 5 feet from the door watching TV and waiting for him. Then Fedex told me the wrong P/U location yesterday and I had to make another trip today to pick it up. When I got it the packaging was terrible. Both gaskets were destroyed and half of the supplied hardware was missing. I don't need the gaskets or hardware but I'm gonna make EMUSA ship new ones anyway for all the inconvenience they caused me. WTF is home at 6pm on a weekday these days?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:59 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I used to be when i worked nights...glad those days are over..lol

Quick Reply: Jet-hot cast iron or cast SS manifold?