Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

journey back to stock

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 05:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default journey back to stock

so guys im thinking about going back to stock on my scion all tho being boosted is fun but i have gotten quit a few tickets lol and the cars getting up there in miles and i would like the car to last me a few mores years lol
Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

as long as u take care of the car and maintain it and have a good tune, u shouldnt have to go back to stock man. as far as the tickets go, its called self control...lol...ease up off that throttle....
Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

during cruise nights by me with all the muscle and imports driving around with 500hp+... i see more minivans pulled over than anything. it's all in the driver not the car.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

see thats the thing with this car i bought it turbod and the kid that had it befor me didnt take car of it it has a half way decent street tune it as for tickets they dont matter its the maintenance history of this car i have had it for about 3 months now an i changed the tranny fluid the other day cause i found out it had atf fluid in it but hey it was only half a quart i was like wow really i thought it was a well taken car off car but guess not!!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have been kicking around the idea of rebuilding the motor and turbo cause the motors pushin 130 and the turbo is unknown but car was tuned about a year and a half ago by the previous owner and it was dynod at 295 but since then i guess he let a buddy mess with the tune idk i had a buddy that has been tuneing cars for along time adjust it and it runs pretty good its a little rich but rich is better then lean i guess lol!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

you could always turn down the boost?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

also, it'll probably cost you more to take the car back to stock than it would just to get a really good dyno tune.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

right now its only running on 8 pounds and i was thinking about that but i called a place here in wisconsin and they sayed they tuned the car the first time and they had a really hard time with it they sayed they worked on it for like 3 weeks and they couldnt get it perfect like it starts hard and it backfires every once in awhile and they sayed id be lookin at about some were between 4 to 600 bucks just for them to try and they also sayed that the aem fic piggy back isnt the easy est thing to work with o and incase u were wondering im new to the tuner world!!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i suggest finding a diff tuner. the fic is fairly easy to use and tune. altho w these cars, it can be tricky. my tuner made the slightest change in one of the cells and it threw the whole tune off. i strongly agree w skinnnnay as well, it will cost u alot more to go back to stock than get a good tune. if ur concerned about mileage, u can always have a leak down and compression test done. this will tell u if the motor is still healthy enough to keep it boosted. i boosted mine @ about 100k and i now have over 125k and its still goin strong.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea If I were you I wouldnt go back to that shop my best advice would be to go illinois there are ALOT of reputable tuners in that state. Your tune is something you shouldnt leave to the inexperienced
Old 11-09-2011, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

well im in southern wisconsin so goin to illinois isnt a big deal what would a good shop be and i was thinking about doin a compression test on it but how do u do a leak down test!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.amsperformance.com is very well known shop up there. There used to be a guy on here his s/n was GURU I think who knows how to tune the tc he had a turbo tc and also tuned another members tc Yamaha i think
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i tryed calling them they sayed they cant tune the aem fic
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Performance Autowerks in Plainfield is the place i get tuned. They are the best shop in illinois for tc's. AMS is good, but they wont work with our cars. They refuse. and even if you get them to tune it, you will end up spending at least $1,000 on a simple FIC tune. Also you have to reserve a spot to tune which takes months. And you have to get there 2 hours before they even touch it so they can do leak testing, and the car has to pass their specific inspections. Thats understandable, but they are VERY ignorant people, and are ridiculously over priced for small builds. They mostly specialize in extremely high HP applications.

Also Sound Performance out of Addison is Very good. They have done some work on my tune in the past. They are pretty cheap, but they do an EXCELLENT job.

Performance autowerks is $500 flat rate for a full tune. (815) 439-4547
Sound Performance is $150/hour i believe. 630-893-5002
Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

- leakdown test DIY
Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

Originally Posted by MDTC713
http://www.amsperformance.com is very well known shop up there. There used to be a guy on here his s/n was GURU I think who knows how to tune the tc he had a turbo tc and also tuned another members tc Yamaha i think
he lived in novi michigan and now moved to vegas. which is why my car won't get any engine modifications because i don't want to pay for a tune
Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey guys i hooked an oil pressure gauge up in my car last night and i was woundering once it gets warmed up wen i sits and idles the gauge reads like 10 or 15 psi is that normal or what but wen im driveing it gose up around 30 to 50 psi!!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

yes.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Scionara
SL Member

on cold start up it should be up at like 70+ iirc
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay cool i was just wounderin cause i thought it was a little low but if its normal then its all good lol im guna have a copression and leak down test done on it this weekend cause ill hopefully be getting it tuned soon!! lol

Quick Reply: journey back to stock