Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Junkyard Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 05:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Junkyard Turbo Build

Guys me and my buddy where discussing the possibilty of building a junkyard turbo setup. Maybe a remote mount setup but ive never heard of the being done on a tC. We would just buy a rebuilt turbo and get the intercooler and piping of ebay. Use some of the smaller component like BOV and Wategate from OEM manufactures like SAAB where they are in surplus and extremely cheap plus they work fine and when he saves up the extra 250 dollars or whatever for his new aftermarket BOV he can replace it. We would try to shoot for a 1500 dollar budget before tuning. My question is if you guys have an suggestions or comments on this project. Remote Mount vs Front Mount(not only in performance but also in ease of install and maintenance)? What do you guys think? Also what is a good turbo/s for a stock Compression and Cube tC?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is always a bad idea going into boost looking to cut into the grey areas. If you where to do this then i would weld on to the OEM Manifold, use your ebay parts with caution.

Spend an extra grand and get a stage 0
Old 10-09-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ZPIracing
It is always a bad idea going into boost looking to cut into the grey areas. If you where to do this then i would weld on to the OEM Manifold, use your ebay parts with caution.

Spend an extra grand and get a stage 0
I'm going to have to agree here...Just save up the cash and get a stage 0 or stage 1. You will be alot happier down the road and probably have less problems with the set up as if you went with "the junkyard build".
Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like it would be a fun project, but I will have to agree with the others... Save up and get the real deal.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How about buy some cheap car then junkyard turbo that. Really it is possible but I do not think a remote mount is going to be very easy. I would try the front first. I really think our cars are worth too much money to be trying to junkyard turboing them right now.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or just build your own stage zero with ZPI and eBay parts. A lot cheaper than the stage 0 theyre offering. I wouldnt worry too much about buying from eBay just make sure the seller has a really good history and read the descriptions thoroughly. Only thing you'll have to worry about is custom charge pipes and a downpipe which shouldnt be more than $300 at a decent shop.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cheap, fast, reliable..... you only get to pick two...

i built a junkyard setup on my civic....ran decent but lets just say i learned my lesson for this car. when building a turbo system, you really shouldnt cut corners, especially with a 16k dollar car ur prob still paying for
Old 10-09-2006, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont know guys. Ive had alot of bad experience with some automotive companies and Ive even heard of some back feedback reffering to some of the favorite turbo companies on this board.
I would have feel much better about my car if I did the work.
I only refer to it as a junkyard build because that is the popular term. We arent going to be using junkyard parts only good quality inexpensive ones.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just dont go cheap on the turbo ok? I was going to but was set in the right direction immediately lol.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea save for a Greddy Kit, its only $2344 + $525 for fuel/management.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by zer0
Yea save for a Greddy Kit, its only $2344 + $525 for fuel/management.
that really is cheap as hell for a f/i kit...to bad I was never a fan of anything by greddy but ended up buying the intelligent informeter from them just for its datalogging capabilities...which im selling btw if anyone wants it
Old 10-10-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I guess what this comes down to, is this...

How experienced a mechanic are you? And How much do you really know about turbo set-ups?

If you are a good mechanic, have done all the calculations, math, planning, etc as far as the requirements/capabilities of the tC... and have a FULL working understanding of all the necessary things into a turbo design, then you don't even need to ask here! Build away... and post us pics later.

But if on the other hand, you think that you can mix and match a bunch of pipes/parts together and hope they work out ok, then I would advise you to go with one of the "known" ones on here and install it yourself.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i like the initiative.... but by the time you pay for for fabrication and what not how much money will you really save??
Old 10-11-2006, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

What about an xB with less than $1000 on his turbo setup and doing consecutive 170+whp and no detonation at 7 to 10psi(don't remember). Even did 202whp on 15psi. We wanted to see how high he could go without exploding the thing up. It holded up like a CHAMP. It was beautiful.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i guess there is the possibility of it being worth while but you really need to know your $hite
Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Currently I am looking at efficiency maps for turbos. Ive done most of the calculations with my buddie and we are looking for a turbo.
For whoever said it we wouldnt pay for much fabbing we would do it ourself.
Im am by no means a turbo guru thats why we are both on here to get info from more experienced people.
The only thing that worries my would be the timing thats why We are going to leave that to the professionals we are just building the kit. haha
Old 10-11-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well for timing you're lucky unless you're raping the hell outta the car our ecu will pull timing fairly well so until you could get and good fuel map on there you should be fine. and if you can do the fabbing yourself, hell I'll swing by i have a manifold idea you can fab up for me
Old 10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont plan on fabbing up the manifold we will prolly try and buy one like the treadstone design or maybe use a variation of the stock manifold. Any body know of a good shop to do some ceramic coating for us in the DFW ,TX area.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

treadstones may not be available for individual sale yet.........
Old 10-11-2006, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well we are still just ing the planning stages

Quick Reply: Junkyard Turbo Build