Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

just installed turbo.. need some help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Default just installed turbo.. need some help!!!

i just installed a custom turbo kit on my 05 tc. It has treadstone piping, a t25 garrett from a 87 volvo, greddy bov, and a obx wastegate.
Heres what i need help with.
The turbo had an internal wastegate which i converted to external (so maybe that has something to do with the problems??)

But the problem is im running stock injectors and no ecu tuning yet. Ive read that you can run 6lbs with no problems. I installed a 6lb spring in my wastegate and i just installed a boost gauge that reads bar pressure. Ive come to find that 1 bar is equal to 14.5lbs of boost. Well when i get in boost i could easily go pass 1 bar if i stay on the gas. So am i running 14lbs of boost????? Or is the wastegate not working properly or is my gauge f ed up"???

Plus i have an idle issue when i let off the gas. It wants to stall out and die.

Plus if i get into boost it seems like it cuts out if i really get on it. Is that the ecu doing that or is it that im running to much boost or something else?

could anyone tell me how to make sure my wastegate is working properly or whatever you might think the problem is.

I just want to run 6lbs without any tuning for awhile till i can get a standalone ecu.

I have 470 injectors. Would installing them without tuning the ecu help or just make it worse?

Thanks for any help
Old 05-19-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like ur overboosting and then running out of fuel which in this case is a good thing cuz if u didnt run out of fuel ur motor could go POP! please get an ecu asap and get a tune before u ruin ur car. and what teh heck are u using a t25 for.. you realize how small that is?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMFG.

Several questions.. please answer the best you can:

1.) What did you do exactly to convert your internal gate to external? Please list all steps and parts.

2.) How are your vacuum lines routed right now?

3.) Your car feels like it's cutting out up top because you're running lean. Do you have a wideband gauge?

Why are you willing to risk your motor on what is probably your only form of transportation? It doesn't matter who has done it before, but running boost without fueling is BAD. You'll be lucky if you haven't damaged your motor yet.

And YES, if your boost gauge shows more than 1bar, it means you're running more than 14.7psi! Do you even have a FMIC?

No, do not install your injectors until you get a piggyback.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SoFloTC
sounds like ur overboosting and then running out of fuel which in this case is a good thing cuz if u didnt run out of fuel ur motor could go POP! please get an ecu asap and get a tune before u ruin ur car. and what teh heck are u using a t25 for.. you realize how small that is?
Chad - how is running out of fuel a good thing? Even on a STOCK motor if you run out of fuel you can seriously damage your motor.

If he wants to run a T25, that's his thing. Maybe he has different goals than you. (power *****)
Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 PM

i converted the internal wastegate by removing it and blocking off the dump hole in the houseing. ive seen it done before. no i dont have a wideband and i dont know what kind of fuel ratios im running. the car seems to run fine other than those problems.

any other ideas? ive read and seen vids of guys running 6lbs with no fuel or ecu tuning
Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by buster21
i converted the internal wastegate by removing it and blocking off the dump hole in the houseing. ive seen it done before. no i dont have a wideband and i dont know what kind of fuel ratios im running. the car seems to run fine other than those problems.

any other ideas? ive read and seen vids of guys running 6lbs with no fuel or ecu tuning
You didn't answer my question.. and why do you still insist on running boost without fuel?

How are your vacuum lines routed?? Because obviously your setup is not working properly.

Another reason why your car isn't running right when you're flooring it is because your MAF is freaking out because it's not being tamed by a piggyback.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Originally Posted by SoFloTC
Chad - how is running out of fuel a good thing? Even on a STOCK motor if you run out of fuel you can seriously damage your motor.

If he wants to run a T25, that's his thing. Maybe he has different goals than you. (power *****)
well he said it was cutting off.. getting fuel cuts.. i would rather him be getting a fuel cut up top then spiking an unknown number of boost untuned. imagine spiking 16 lbs with zero tune.. lol detonation will be nice :D
Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Chad he's spiking to 14psi without a tune.. just as bad.

The car isn't thinking "hey, you don't have fuel mods so I'll cut you off.."

It's letting him boost until the injectors max out and the car makes less power because it's so lean.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 PM

the vacc lines are running from turbo to wastegate. and the throttle body to blow off valve. im sure they are hooked up correctly. the boost gauge is teed off the wastegate vac line
Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Give the boost gauge it's own source.

Leave the vac line from turbo to wastegate.. but remove that T to the gauge.

Tbody to BOV is fine.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by B_Real45
Chad he's spiking to 14psi without a tune.. just as bad.

The car isn't thinking "hey, you don't have fuel mods so I'll cut you off.."

It's letting him boost until the injectors max out and the car makes less power because it's so lean.
this is true.. but hey either way.. there both terrible lmao! DONT DRIVE UR CAR!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 PM

so am i just running to much boost? why isnt the wastegate working than? i can hear it working but maybe its not when i get into alot of boost?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

obviously u didnt put in a correct spring or maybe the wastegate is wack.. i mean.. it is OBX
Old 05-19-2009, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reroute your vac lines like I said and see what happens.

Do you have any pictures of the setup? What manifold are you running?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:38 PM

the treadstone kit doesnt use any ecu tuning does it? just flow matched injectors right?
Old 05-19-2009, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes but their trick is also with their MAF adapter.

Do you have that installed too? If so, throw on the injectors it came with then.. of they're the ones that came with the kit.

And seriously, reroute your vac lines.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 PM

i can get some pics for you in a minute if you can wait??
where should i reroute the vac lines? i have no idea.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:41 PM

i do have a maf adapter installed on turbo intake
Old 05-19-2009, 09:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Btw... how are you using a T25 on a Treadstone manifold? They're made to fit a T3 footing.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 PM

do you want to see some pics??? ill go out and take some. maybe that will help?

Quick Reply: just installed turbo.. need some help!!!