Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

kikcaffeine's bearings SUCK - Supercharger is ____ED

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default kikcaffeine's bearings SUCK - Supercharger is ____ED

One of the bearings inside is completely ____ed. The shaft has play in/out, up/down, all around... scraping metal shavings inside my engine, getting a ride to work tomorrow from a friend, im going to buy a completely new supercharger, this one is completely ____ed.

thanks kikcaffeine for the awesome bearings

(aftermath after 1,000 miles)
Old 04-02-2009, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

that sucks
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

hhmmm, seems like he's been running his for quite some time now, who installed the bearings? i think you need to find out what happened before you start playing the blame game!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree...it could have been one of a hundred that were off...ive heard good reviews from him....i hate when people blow ____ out of proportion...you bought bearings from someone that wasnt a wholesaler....come on now...thats flag number one....how about you try to settle this privately before ruining his reputation.....im sure he would rather that....alot of folks are happy with him...maybe you or the shop just didnt know what you were doing
Old 04-02-2009, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wooks wike maybe ur S/C bearings went.. not ur shaft bearings
Old 04-02-2009, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how would you blame kikcaffeine! blame the guy that put them or shop that did! they probably didnt put them on correctly.. hes sold dozens of those bearing and your the first to complain! i'm not taking sides cause i dunno niether of you i am just saying!
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i installed them myself, i rebuild compressors and pumps as big as your guys' houses as well as tiny surface pumps, all which have bearings, seals, and the like.

these have only been in use for 1000 miles and there is so much play in the shaft it actually broke one of the fins off of the supercharger.

and kikcaffeine's bearings ARE S/C BEARINGS
Old 04-02-2009, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how can you blame one thing without asking around ? maybe you forgot to torque something down. what did the last 500 miles sound like did you notice a big loss in mpg or blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe. did you talk to him before coming on hear and begin your angry rant?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
wooks wike maybe ur S/C bearings went.. not ur shaft bearings
LOL maybe do a little research before posting, kik sells s/c bearings and gompka sells the shaft and shaft bearings which are not even out yet.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you rebuild compressors and pumps?....for who?....looks like you need to change jobs
Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Which bearing went out specifically?

Thanks for PM'ing me also to try to get this worked out. I appreciate it. You can call me if you want: 678 438 9031
Old 04-02-2009, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Holy crap, that sucks. i have an hx35 off a cummins that looks like that. totally fubar'd. hopefully not too much stuck to your pistons or cylinder head. regardless of the culprit it sucks to see someones car down for repairs.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont noe much about this kind of ____ but it dont look too good to me..
sucks man.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't know...bearings going bad after only 1000 miles, if the bearings were that $H!tty that why couldn't last 1000 miles, wouldn't shouldn't you have noticed that when you were installing them? even if they were garbage, they shoulda lasted longer than 1000 miles.

the biggest problem with the superchargers has been bad installations, not bad parts.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

First off, thanks for everyone who posted in here and didn't go along wit the OP and attempt to tarnish Kikcaffine's reputation. It shows a certain amount of maturity something this site isn't exactly known for.

I've known kikcaffine for a long time. He is one of my best friends. We've known each other since shortly after each of us bought our tCs. After supercharging his car he did a lot of research developing the products that he sells. (which he uses in his personal car for that matter.)
I do not know what the cause of your problem is. but I am all but sure it has nothing to do with the quality of the bearings that you bought from him. My personal opinion (which doesn't play into this in any way, shape, or form) is that there was an issue during install. @ 20 years old, I doubt that you "rebuild Compressors the size of your house." Are you sure that you didn't put the bearing in backwards? are you sure you torqued the bolts down correctly? did you prime the blower before you started the car? did it have enough oil in it? are you sure there wasn't something already broken before you replaced the bearings?

do you see my point? there are way too many variables in this situation to just slap the blame on someone such as Kikcaffine. He works hard to support the Supercharged scion community...Everyone here knows that... do not think that everyone is going to support you when you behaved such as you have. If you truly believe that the bearings that Kik sold you were to blame, the proper thing to do would have been to contact him first and foremost and see what he has to say. then you could go from there...

besides, when you received the bearings and choose to install them you in-effect were approving of the condition of the bearings as being good enough to use on your supercharger. (you yourself claim that you are good at working on Superchargers) it's not like you did the install blindfolded. If you can't identify a questionable bearing when you see one, you have no business installing them on your supercharger in the first place. you should have paid a professional to install them or at least someone who knows a little more about what they are doing.

Take it to PM and someone lock this thread please.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i agree with complication....lock this foo and take it to private
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kikcaffine

Thanks for PM'ing me also to try to get this worked out. I appreciate it. You can call me if you want: 678 438 9031
now that's being a good businessman I know who i'm going to for parts if i ever go supercharged
Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Complication
First off, thanks for everyone who posted in here and didn't go along wit the OP and attempt to tarnish Kikcaffine's reputation. It shows a certain amount of maturity something this site isn't exactly known for.

I've known kikcaffine for a long time. He is one of my best friends. We've known each other since shortly after each of us bought our tCs. After supercharging his car he did a lot of research developing the products that he sells. (which he uses in his personal car for that matter.)
I do not know what the cause of your problem is. but I am all but sure it has nothing to do with the quality of the bearings that you bought from him. My personal opinion (which doesn't play into this in any way, shape, or form) is that there was an issue during install. @ 20 years old, I doubt that you "rebuild Compressors the size of your house." Are you sure that you didn't put the bearing in backwards? are you sure you torqued the bolts down correctly? did you prime the blower before you started the car? did it have enough oil in it? are you sure there wasn't something already broken before you replaced the bearings?

do you see my point? there are way too many variables in this situation to just slap the blame on someone such as Kikcaffine. He works hard to support the Supercharged scion community...Everyone here knows that... do not think that everyone is going to support you when you behaved such as you have. If you truly believe that the bearings that Kik sold you were to blame, the proper thing to do would have been to contact him first and foremost and see what he has to say. then you could go from there...

besides, when you received the bearings and choose to install them you in-effect were approving of the condition of the bearings as being good enough to use on your supercharger. (you yourself claim that you are good at working on Superchargers) it's not like you did the install blindfolded. If you can't identify a questionable bearing when you see one, you have no business installing them on your supercharger in the first place. you should have paid a professional to install them or at least someone who knows a little more about what they are doing.

Take it to PM and someone lock this thread please.
for the record, i did put oil on the gears, you cant pressurize it without actually cranking it over a few times, which i also did, before start up. I do work on compressors the size of your house. Not everyday, no. Everyday compressors are more like as big as a car. I used a bearing heater and dry ice to get it assembled, then used the ice on the bearings and heated the housing with a rosebud. i miced the id and od of the outer race on the bearing and id of the housing,

people deserve to know what theyre buying thats why i posted.

and regardless of which bearing it is (i dont know yet) theres nothing that can save this poor s/c now, its toasted.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and i am 20, i got my job through relatives, and have learned a ton about pumps, compressors, and engines since i have started, this is a pure bearing issue. ive seen it happen before on a larger scale.

even if we do take it to PM, is kikcaffeine going to replace my s/c? no. then why bother?
Old 04-02-2009, 05:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by shupes31
Originally Posted by kikcaffine

now that's being a good businessman I know who i'm going to for parts if i ever go supercharged
Wahhh don't say that statement "if i go supercharged"! Turbo and you wont have as many problems! Haha.

Quick Reply: kikcaffeine's bearings SUCK - Supercharger is ____ED