Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Likelihood?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:54 PM
SL Member

Default Likelihood?

I am just wondering what everyone's, particularly the company owners on here that presently offer Turbo Kits to us (thank you btw), opinion on someone coming out with a more "budget" end of the spectrum?

I know that some kits you are able to find in the $3000-$4000 range, but when all is said and done with tuning and accessories it puts you at roughly $5500-$6000. Which to some may be a lot of money, and even if you have it ... sometimes it is hard to justify.

ZPI, I know non-existent crooks at this point, used to offer a Stage 0 kit that would put a decent driver into the 14's. This is more so what I am looking for. I want to spend about $3000-$4000, and currently not looking for a 300WHP+ ... just something with a little more umph.

My long term plans are a Stage 3 on built internals, but right now I just want something reliable, running 5lbs with a decent tune.

I would think, being that most of the owners are aged 17-30 ... a budget kit would sell like hot cakes, being that $2000-$3000 is not breaking the bank for most. But double that is hard to really justify for beginners.

Your thoughts?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Check out the greddy, if not the supercharger. Really if you want to, you could build your own "stage 0". There's probably a reason why these other companies aren't building a "stage 0".
Old 09-10-2007, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'd S/C if I were you. I was never was a fan of the stage 0's turbos without tuning. Like etsnet said, prolly a reason why no one else ever made one.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i spent about 4000 grand on a kit with 2 electronic gauges(uego and boost/vac), and management. todd from TT can give you great deals like mine on gauges, kits, and management. and im sure other companies have deals too if you talk to them
im installing myself with some buddies and gauges install i did myself.
i say do the work yourself. youll learn so much more and itll be fun and saving money never hurts
Old 09-10-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it probably isnt the best idea to boost if you're on a tight budget. more times then not, unexpected expenses will come up and you dont want to be stuck in the middle of an install if that happens. you already gave a good example of it when you said $3k-4k kits can easily end up being $5k-6k when it's all said and done.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:27 AM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those cheap stage 0 kits ussually come with problems too
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Never boost on a budget.
Cost, Reliability and Performance: Choose 2.

Plus, MOST kit's at 5psi aren't going to give you squat. the TT kit at 5psi is putting down 252hp in my car, but the zpi stage 0 I think was only putting down 220 at 7.5psi or something like that. Anyone correct me who has the right numbers.

If you wanna save money, get the SC or go custom.

There's always the Treadstone kit that's about $3K and is supposed to run on the stock ECU. Even if you add management and a tune, that may just add another $G.

But just remember, however much you plan out and budget and whatever for you turbo...double it and then you'll be covered.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:53 AM
SL Member

Well, I am looking for something reliable and that has room to grow.

Has anyone on here built-up at all? Dezod I know has rods, pistons etc. Just wondering if anyone is running with this setup, and what numbers are really possible with built internals.

I would rather spend the extra money and be safe. Looks like budget is something I am going to need to skip.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sheesh, here we go again with knocking zpi products..

Anyways, I'm on a ZPI stage 0 and have had absolutely no problems yet besides a CEL that'll get fixed when I tune. Obviously at the moment you can't (and probably shouldn't) get a stage 0. But there may be some sites out there that have a few of their kits on the shelves.. It's just something to consider.

But like someone previously said, if you want to stay cheap, go with the Greddy kit. And I know it's not considered cheap but the turbonetics kit comes with literally everything you need besides gauges. So yeah, it's kind of a big upfront cost.. but you will definitely be satisfied with the quality and reliability of the kit.

Just my $.02
Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

seriously, can we all just stop defending the stage 0 kits, simply for the fact that you can't get them any more?
No one here is BASHING the zpi kit, just stating their opinion, so le'ts not turn this into another one of those threads.

flint08:
There are quite a few guys with built internals on different kits in the mid to high 400hp range.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by flint_08
Well, I am looking for something reliable and that has room to grow.

Has anyone on here built-up at all? Dezod I know has rods, pistons etc. Just wondering if anyone is running with this setup, and what numbers are really possible with built internals.

I would rather spend the extra money and be safe. Looks like budget is something I am going to need to skip.
I'm in the process of building right now and I have a greddy kit. In the end the greddy kit will be gone but until I get the money hopefully it will yield me around 400whp once built. If you start off with a bigger turbo like the Turbotoyotas kit, you'll be able to pull off over 300whp with a good tune at about 10psi. That can hold you till you build the motor. If you're not looking to buy right now, I believe Dezod has some things up there sleeve, one being a new manifold which should help yield higher numbers with their kits.

One thing I've learned on my turbo journey's is that you will never be reliable without a well installed kit and tune.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Banned
SL Member

watching
Old 09-10-2007, 06:09 PM
SL Member

Great, thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to stick with the mind set of building something "indestructible" and then look at one of the kits available. After all of reading etc. I have done on here it seems like in the end after all is said and done S/C or Turbo ... it's going to cost me. So to avoid to cost of something more expensive later I best start building.

etsnet - PM Sent