Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

A little disappointed with the TC engine..

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
have you tried upgrading the head? remember that the k20's head was designed to produce HP and great flow. our how ever i think was more intended for fuel efficiency. you also have to take into consideration that k20 500 hp might not last as long as a 300 hp 2az.. in the long run $ wise you will be ahead lol... and think about it.. how much fun is 500 HP on a FWD car when your spinning every gear... with 340 with what your putting out would be some what ideal.. HP is not everything some times.. and if all you do is spin tires then how will you win a race??? we can drive on DR all the time lol..

i would look up head packages that zpi offers.. maybe thats the upgrade your looking for to really push your car...the head can make a HUGE difference.
No not yet but yr right the head on the K20 is bad ___, people who build race cars wish they could get that kind of flow from their head. And I agree with the FWD issue unless you want to be Dynoking, but having a car that maxes out at 501whp doesn’t mean you need to run it a 17psi all the time you can go 410-440 whatever, my point is I just wonder why these engines don’t put out that much HP?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rasta
have you tried upgrading the head? remember that the k20's head was designed to produce HP and great flow. our how ever i think was more intended for fuel efficiency. you also have to take into consideration that k20 500 hp might not last as long as a 300 hp 2az.. in the long run $ wise you will be ahead lol... and think about it.. how much fun is 500 HP on a FWD car when your spinning every gear... with 340 with what your putting out would be some what ideal.. HP is not everything some times.. and if all you do is spin tires then how will you win a race??? we can drive on DR all the time lol..

i would look up head packages that zpi offers.. maybe thats the upgrade your looking for to really push your car...the head can make a HUGE difference.
No not yet but yr right the head on the K20 is bad butt, people who build race cars wish they could get that kind of flow from their head. And I agree with the FWD issue unless you want to be Dynoking, but having a car that maxes out at 501whp doesn’t mean you need to run it a 17psi all the time you can go 410-440 whatever, my point is I just wonder why these engines don’t put out that much HP?
My theory is the head. I have toiled with that notion for the past 6 months.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I hope that we do see some good gains from a nice p&p but I just dont think the gains are gonna justify the costs
Old 08-17-2006, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No not yet but yr right the head on the K20 is bad butt, people who build race cars wish they could get that kind of flow from their head. And I agree with the FWD issue unless you want to be Dynoking, but having a car that maxes out at 501whp doesn’t mean you need to run it a 17psi all the time you can go 410-440 whatever, my point is I just wonder why these engines don’t put out that much HP?
Funny the changed my post to say bad butt
Old 08-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
I hope that we do see some good gains from a nice p&p but I just dont think the gains are gonna justify the costs
We shall see.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProshopXB
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by tCUZZ
its the vtec. every honda dyno graph I have seen, the hp sky rocket after vtec kicks in.
No doubt the v-tec produces more horsepower than the VVT-I but cmon..stock to stock the engine only has 40hp than ours...we have more torque than they do.

What's your point. Stock for Stock we have less hp than an SRT-4. Put us on 8 PSI of boost, and we put down more power than an SRT-4 (forget what PSI setting they come with from the factory). So, you can't compare totally two different engines.

You should check back on that k20 Teggy from time to time to see how long it last, IF it was stock internals. They come with like 11:5.1 HIGH compression pistons in them. I'm just curious to see how long that motor last like that. All the New 06 Si's in the mags, that have been F/I, 99% of them all had different LOWER compression pistons in them. NONE were using stock pistons.
20-22 Psi stock for an SRT-4

Wrong! I have an srt4 and from the factory it is set at 14lbs of boost.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Everyone wants a tC like this K24/K20 Frank swapped head. Mind you, this is all motor too!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51377361927206
Old 08-17-2006, 07:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thisisdudewhoru
its the vtec. every honda dyno graph I have seen, the hp sky rocket after vtec kicks in.
No doubt the v-tec produces more horsepower than the VVT-I but cmon..stock to stock the engine only has 40hp than ours...we have more torque than they do.

What's your point. Stock for Stock we have less hp than an SRT-4. Put us on 8 PSI of boost, and we put down more power than an SRT-4 (forget what PSI setting they come with from the factory). So, you can't compare totally two different engines.

You should check back on that k20 Teggy from time to time to see how long it last, IF it was stock internals. They come with like 11:5.1 HIGH compression pistons in them. I'm just curious to see how long that motor last like that. All the New 06 Si's in the mags, that have been F/I, 99% of them all had different LOWER compression pistons in them. NONE were using stock pistons.
20-22 Psi stock for an SRT-4

Wrong! I have an srt4 and from the factory it is set at 14lbs of boost.
Sorry was just going by what another SRT owner told me was stock boost, I'll give you his number and you can tell him he is wrong!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Sci-Tech
SL Member

Yea I think hes messing with you.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could careless... Where here to talk about Scions...

Oh and Paul nice vid That is a sick sick car..
Old 08-17-2006, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcengel
Don't worry about the head yet. Right now you need pistons. I believe you could easily run 1 bar / 14.7 psi daily with just a piston upgrade and make 400WHP. The motor is stout, the piston's are weak. Most N/A motors are this way.
Don't ever compare an Integra to this car. I had an Integra in 2000 with a Drag turbo kit and let me tell you how quickly these things eat motors. I personally sold the car on the third motor.
Yea no doubt....but if I pull that engine to upgrade pistons for sure Im doing the head too...I might buy an engine from this guy i know he has a wrecked one he wants 700 buck for it.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I could careless... Where here to talk about Scions...

Oh and Paul nice vid That is a sick sick car..
Yeah that is ALL MOTOR TOO.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

Everyone wants a tC like this K24/K20 Frank swapped head. Mind you, this is all motor too!!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51377361927206
DAMN!!! that thing is about to bust the speedo!!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I am not comparing turbo engines to turbo engines. If you notice in my post I used two N/A engines that were turbo charged that is my point. An SRT has lower compression pistons so at 8psi compared yea we have more. And regards to the Integ it’s a guy I know real good....lying about what is in your engine is for when you are in high school.

I wasn't doubting it, I just asked for you to keep an eye on it's longevity.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: A little disappointed with the TC engine..

Originally Posted by tcengel
Anyway what I am getting at is when I was dynoing my car they had a Integra with a K20 engine same as the civic SI stock internals it just had an intake and a gt35r turbo boosting about 14psi making over 430whp it made 501whp on race C16! Now grant it the engine from the dealer makes 40hp more than our cars but damn 501whp!
501 whp and 150 ftlbs.......
I would not doubt it

I love TQ....
Old 08-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I love TQ....
"Turbos make TQ and TQ makes fun"--Corky Bell
Old 08-17-2006, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

I love TQ....
"Turbos make TQ and TQ makes fun"--Corky Bell
Old 08-18-2006, 09:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

kinda new to the FI thing. I'm just curious just want kind of internals are necessary to upgrade to safely run at 250-300whp as a daily driver. Are pistons the only things you need to switch out, or are rods also necessary?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

250whp stock is fine...300 you may want to look into pistons/rods.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You really have to take into consideration what comes in a honda motor. The k series is notorious for having extremely large stock vlaves. In fact in many cases making the valves much larger loses power. Also take into consideration that they have i-vtec. We have vvt-i. They are different. If we had the vvtl-i like in the celica or the matrix xrs it would be more on the same playing field. For those who aren't aware of the difference vvtl-i has 2 cam profiles like vtec. At 6000rpm it will switch lobes. On top of the constantly changing intake cam timing from the vvt system. In our motors we do not have multiple cam profiles just intake cam timing adjustment. So in theory building the head and installing aggressive cams would make a world of a difference.

Quick Reply: A little disappointed with the TC engine..