Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

LOCK and delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by java09
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
used turbines, rebuilt turbine, shoty workmanship, decent designs... Not bashing just saying that zpi was popular because a. They were one of the first companies. B. Cheap. And c. Not very much competion for a while

my point is that why go with that when you have the above. Ompanies I posted with

Quality
Customer service (some better than others)
still exists
proven results
new parts

I could go ok and but no sense, my point has been made!

java, me and you get along very well. But you are WAY off on this one. You never dealt with the former company, do not have first had experience with their work, and your opinion is based on hear-say. And for the most part, you are completely inaccurate in your depiction of the quality of work the company put out.

A) They were the first company..correct. B) Their kits cost the same as everyone else did. C) People bought them because they were "PROVEN", unlike EVERY single kit manufacture you just posted with the exception of Dezod.

GReddy, Treadstone, Turbo Toyotas....I have yet to see enough customers running them and actually RACING the car for me to consider them "PROVEN". They all have a hand full of people. Hell there are more Stage 0 turbo kits + Stage 0 "spin" off turbo kits than GReddy, Treadstone, and TT combined. So, no, those kits are NOT proven. If you consider a couple of dyno sheets as being "proven", then you should evaluate what it means to have a turbo kit (unless you are one of those people that don't mind paying thousands for an otherwise paper weight).

PS....I'm not saying those kits are crappy, just saying that no one is racing them, or doing any extensive abuse, nor have they been around long enough to see how they hold over time.
i feel you travis.. honestly.. but i actually was around for the zpi thing.. i was just fortunate enough to not have ordered and got caught up.

your definition of "prove it self" is correct but to each is own..

to you Daily abuse, actual drag racing and how long it lasts under those conditions is proving itself..

but,

to me, no CELs, great power (i understand that i only made 250whp at 8 psi, but it was a back yard street tune with the greddy emanage and cant say im not pleased with that till i can afford to fly a good tuner down here and when i say that i am far from joking! ;) ) and for 8 months now no major maintenance and im still making consistant power with a smile on my face.

you are a die hard "show me the money" kinda guy and thats good.. not bad at all..

as for me, when i saw all that stuff going on a reputable companies, i wont name names but they tell me about the quality of the work that zpi put out and what not.. i have to agree with them based on relationship built with that person on a personal and business i.e. - buying things from them relationship.. i know that zpi treated you well, but when you look at the bad vs. the good.. id have to say and yes mostly hear say that zpi did more people dirty that good.

you will back kenny and zpi to the death and they did you well...

just the same that some cough** mike cough cough** call me a Todd nut hugger..

while you are correct in your views of a proven kit. for you proven is racing often as you did, while maintaining its daily drivability, handling the power dished out and of course its price.. but being that they were the first company its hard to make statements based on price.

to me proven is what you bought it for. my kit proves it self daily as i bought it for power, which i make plenty of, daily drivability, have driven it everyday with maybe a few hick ups here and there (who doesnt have those), looks, nuff said you would have to admit it is the nicest but you know "to each is own" and lastly customer service and price.. while todd might not have always responded right away he made up for any lost time 10 fold!

so i apoligize for "bashing" zpi as i know i did. just was trying to guide that guy in a "proven direction" like i said "my proven" hahahaha
hope we can still be friends!! baaaahahahahaaaaaaaa

Oh we are still cool man...lol.

But just for the record and comparsion...

You made 250whp @ 8 PSI.

On a 16G, I made 250whp @ 7 PSI with 10's A/F ratio.

You have a bigger turbo than a 16G. But just thought I would give you food for thought in that the 16G made the same amount of power as your larger turbo does.

Also, near 2 years boosting is another good testament to the kit's quality (And mines not even the nice looking production kit. Mine was hand fabricated @ ZPI). You can't do that with other turbo manufactures, as for the most part, they are all "parts" runners. Granted you can't do that with ZPI now either. That's why I don't particularly care for any other manufacture's kit right now. PTunning though is looking promising, as they are an "Actual" race shop that builds cars.

Also keep in mind, that all the negativity that you hear about ZPI's "quality", is coming from hear-say also. And a lot drumed up when they out of the blue closed the doors with work still left undone. That's where most if not ALL of the negativity comes from. When they were thriving business, people only complained about shipping.....which is the same thing Todd is going through right now.

He owes my boy a MAF flange.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

used turbines, rebuilt turbine, shoty workmanship, decent designs... Not bashing just saying that zpi was popular because a. They were one of the first companies. B. Cheap. And c. Not very much competion for a while

my point is that why go with that when you have the above. Ompanies I posted with

Quality
Customer service (some better than others)
still exists
proven results
new parts

I could go ok and but no sense, my point has been made!

java, me and you get along very well. But you are WAY off on this one. You never dealt with the former company, do not have first had experience with their work, and your opinion is based on hear-say. And for the most part, you are completely inaccurate in your depiction of the quality of work the company put out.

A) They were the first company..correct. B) Their kits cost the same as everyone else did. C) People bought them because they were "PROVEN", unlike EVERY single kit manufacture you just posted with the exception of Dezod.

GReddy, Treadstone, Turbo Toyotas....I have yet to see enough customers running them and actually RACING the car for me to consider them "PROVEN". They all have a hand full of people. Hell there are more Stage 0 turbo kits + Stage 0 "spin" off turbo kits than GReddy, Treadstone, and TT combined. So, no, those kits are NOT proven. If you consider a couple of dyno sheets as being "proven", then you should evaluate what it means to have a turbo kit (unless you are one of those people that don't mind paying thousands for an otherwise paper weight).

PS....I'm not saying those kits are crappy, just saying that no one is racing them, or doing any extensive abuse, nor have they been around long enough to see how they hold over time.
i feel you travis.. honestly.. but i actually was around for the zpi thing.. i was just fortunate enough to not have ordered and got caught up.

your definition of "prove it self" is correct but to each is own..

to you Daily abuse, actual drag racing and how long it lasts under those conditions is proving itself..

but,

to me, no CELs, great power (i understand that i only made 250whp at 8 psi, but it was a back yard street tune with the greddy emanage and cant say im not pleased with that till i can afford to fly a good tuner down here and when i say that i am far from joking! ;) ) and for 8 months now no major maintenance and im still making consistant power with a smile on my face.

you are a die hard "show me the money" kinda guy and thats good.. not bad at all..

as for me, when i saw all that stuff going on a reputable companies, i wont name names but they tell me about the quality of the work that zpi put out and what not.. i have to agree with them based on relationship built with that person on a personal and business i.e. - buying things from them relationship.. i know that zpi treated you well, but when you look at the bad vs. the good.. id have to say and yes mostly hear say that zpi did more people dirty that good.

you will back kenny and zpi to the death and they did you well...

just the same that some cough** mike cough cough** call me a Todd nut hugger..

while you are correct in your views of a proven kit. for you proven is racing often as you did, while maintaining its daily drivability, handling the power dished out and of course its price.. but being that they were the first company its hard to make statements based on price.

to me proven is what you bought it for. my kit proves it self daily as i bought it for power, which i make plenty of, daily drivability, have driven it everyday with maybe a few hick ups here and there (who doesnt have those), looks, nuff said you would have to admit it is the nicest but you know "to each is own" and lastly customer service and price.. while todd might not have always responded right away he made up for any lost time 10 fold!

so i apoligize for "bashing" zpi as i know i did. just was trying to guide that guy in a "proven direction" like i said "my proven" hahahaha
hope we can still be friends!! baaaahahahahaaaaaaaa

Oh we are still cool man...lol.

But just for the record and comparsion...

You made 250whp @ 8 PSI.

On a 16G, I made 250whp @ 7 PSI with 10's A/F ratio.

You have a bigger turbo than a 16G. But just thought I would give you food for thought in that the 16G made the same amount of power as your larger turbo does.

Also, near 2 years boosting is another good testament to the kit's quality (And mines not even the nice looking production kit. Mine was hand fabricated @ ZPI). You can't do that with other turbo manufactures, as for the most part, they are all "parts" runners. Granted you can't do that with ZPI now either. That's why I don't particularly care for any other manufacture's kit right now. PTunning though is looking promising, as they are an "Actual" race shop that builds cars.

Also keep in mind, that all the negativity that you hear about ZPI's "quality", is coming from hear-say also. And a lot drumed up when they out of the blue closed the doors with work still left undone. That's where most if not ALL of the negativity comes from. When they were thriving business, people only complained about shipping.....which is the same thing Todd is going through right now.

He owes my boy a MAF flange.
Damn, I was about the post the exact same thing lol. A funny thing about performance companies that specifically make parts for the tC is that if the product is of some quality, they get really popular really fast. The supply can't keep up with demand, and you start to see customer service suffer because there are only 24 hours in a day, and usually these companies have very few staff.

It wasn't unique to ZPI and it never will be. Whenever someone comes out with something new, and the Scion community latches on, your going to see customer service and ship times go out the window. I had a ZPI stage 0 back when ZPI was still in business, and all people complained about was shipping, possibly not receiving products, or not having their emails and phone calls replied to. I can't remember reading anything about how bad the quality of the kits were...

Stick to the facts please.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

^^You speak the truth.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

$900 for a kit is a joke. Expect to spend $2,500 on a VERY VERY good deal on a complete kit. I'm selling my black 2000K Jet Hot coated 2.5" downpipe/s-pipe/manifold and ITS T0E4-60 .63 A/R turbo for $1,250 and you want $800 for it? Bud, you seem like you want to go the cheapest way. You oughta just stay where you are at because you can't boost on a budget. I believe my asking price is fair. Anyone agree with what I am saying?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Your kit can be the following:

cheap, reliable, fast

Choose two.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i mean, you want 900 for a stage zero, but 1250 for those parts is a steal, it would be a great starting point.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by 20tCDude05
$900 for a kit is a joke. Expect to spend $2,500 on a VERY VERY good deal on a complete kit. I'm selling my black 2000K Jet Hot coated 2.5" downpipe/s-pipe/manifold and ITS T0E4-60 .63 A/R turbo for $1,250 and you want $800 for it? Bud, you seem like you want to go the cheapest way. You oughta just stay where you are at because you can't boost on a budget. I believe my asking price is fair. Anyone agree with what I am saying?

I think your asking price is below average. $1,250 is a HELLUVA STEAL!
Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

trav dawg... hahaha i feel you! haha
Old 05-13-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks Travis, but no bites though. Seems like Troys_tC wants to go to the cheapest route, which is not a good idea, because something WILL go wrong. I would never get anything used, its more expensive that way, however, I will sleep better knowing its brand new and I can certify its condition. I plan on using the money for my parts for a 3" downpipe, 3" s-pipe, V2.1 manifold, and GT3076R, but gonna need it asap once I order it cuz my car won't be running, gotta talk with Todd about this.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I can't believe no one mentioned the first rule about boosting.

Don't boost on a budget.

If you only have $900 for an entire kit, good luck when something goes wrong. $900 won't even get you a good exhaust system.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got full 3 inch exhaust for 40 bucks =D
Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Ptuning > ur exhaust
Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

yeah, does seem like he's trying to get the cheapest and low balling a little on price.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

I don't give a ____ if he's trying to get a Dezod kit, TT kit, ZPI kit, or Kmart kit...he's a moron for thinking he could boost for under a grand, lol.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey now, maybe its all he can afford, some people have more money than other, so chill guys. However Troy, they`re right, don`t boost on a budget. Cuz if something goes wrong, you gotta fix it and if you can`t, well, you won`t be driving it for awhile. My turbo parts are still for sale, like Travis (RhythmSmoke) and Chris (DraxCaliber) said, its a steal, if that's too much, imagine how much a whole kit will cost. (Injectors, lines, blow off valve, clutch, gauges, wastegate, intercooler, piping, filter, piggyback ECU) EASY $2,000 for the rest, so $4,000 or so to get you going. So, $900 boosted? No way dude.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

^ I'm not calling him broke, I'm just saying theres no possible way he's boosting on $900, lol. Maybe he could manage it if he finds an old 16g in a junk yard, makes all the piping/exhaust, tunes the car himself and fabricates his own gauges...MAYBE then he could do it for $900. lol.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL, doubt he`s qualified to do that. Haha, but gotta pay to play. Its worth it tho.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe
I don't give a poop if he's trying to get a Dezod kit, TT kit, ZPI kit, or Kmart kit...he's a moron for thinking he could boost for under a grand, lol.

True...but lets not be THAT harsh...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone notice how quiet he has gotten? We probably ruined his turbo fantasy with a reality check. :D
Old 05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
i will prove my car the second the kit is on the first test and tune i will be at the track throwing down some 1/4 mile times
Gotta ask, why you post in the tC forums? Because we have the same engine?

I bet you won't get in 15.5 seconds. If your "car" weighs as much as mine, it will be hard. My best time is 15.2 on my FIRST day. I'm sure I can easily be in the mid 14s with my Stage 2 goals. Oh well, all in good fun.

Quick Reply: LOCK and delete