Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Long overdue: APR Power In-line ECU Release (Screen shots PG7)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 06:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
So I was doing some homework with one of the engineers this week on this unit for the xB, and so far all seems like a green light for this. The cam and crank sensors thresholds and outputs for the xB 08+ appear to be the same as the tC, which was one concern for the engineer whom I was dealing with. So next step will be real world testing on the xB.
That's good news. Speaking of crk and cam sensors, in the course of your FIC testing on the XB2 did you ever use an oscilloscope? I was very surprised to see that my oem crk sensor outputs a +/- 10V analog sine wave and the FIC outputs a +/- 5V digital wave form. The oem cam sensor outputs a +/- 3V analog sine wave and the FIC outputs a +/- 5V analog sine wave. The FIC ouput voltages were totally unaffected by reducing the oem sensor signal inputs. For some reason unknown to me, attenuating the already low voltage cam signal down to +/- 1V seemed to eliminate the misfires and crk sensor codes that have plagued me. Reducing the 10V crk signal only made things worse for me but Rustin (Boomslang) has been dealing with a shop with Corolla FIC issues and in their case they had success by reducing the crk signal while leaving the cam signal alone. WTF?

AEM tech support assures me that the ECU only looks at where the sensor signal waves cross 0V and is unaffected by the signal voltage and pattern (analog or digital). This is well outside my area of expertise. If you have any thoughts on this or could run it by someone, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks Paul.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
That's good news. Speaking of crk and cam sensors, in the course of your FIC testing on the XB2 did you ever use an oscilloscope? I was very surprised to see that my oem crk sensor outputs a +/- 10V analog sine wave and the FIC outputs a +/- 5V digital wave form. The oem cam sensor outputs a +/- 3V analog sine wave and the FIC outputs a +/- 5V analog sine wave. The FIC ouput voltages were totally unaffected by reducing the oem sensor signal inputs. For some reason unknown to me, attenuating the already low voltage cam signal down to +/- 1V seemed to eliminate the misfires and crk sensor codes that have plagued me. Reducing the 10V crk signal only made things worse for me but Rustin (Boomslang) has been dealing with a shop with Corolla FIC issues and in their case they had success by reducing the crk signal while leaving the cam signal alone. WTF?

AEM tech support assures me that the ECU only looks at where the sensor signal waves cross 0V and is unaffected by the signal voltage and pattern (analog or digital). This is well outside my area of expertise. If you have any thoughts on this or could run it by someone, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks Paul.
I wonder if the FIC has an issue recognizing the 36-2 crank sensor pattern. Which means that by adding resistance (lessen voltage) it needs to be scaled back to say 12 teeth so the FIC can recognize it.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Harness for the xB is done. I will start playing with it over the next few days.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wonder if the FIC has an issue recognizing the 36-2 crank sensor pattern. Which means that by adding resistance (lessen voltage) it needs to be scaled back to say 12 teeth so the FIC can recognize it.
I don't think that's it. If you're interested I'll call you with the details. I'd rather not post them here for the benefit of a certain individual who refused to share any info with anyone when he thought he had the solution.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I don't think that's it. If you're interested I'll call you with the details. I'd rather not post them here for the benefit of a certain individual who refused to share any info with anyone when he thought he had the solution.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts after all of the headaches you have been through.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

as would I
Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002
as would I
Pleasure speaking with you as always.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys, I'll PM you.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Pleasure speaking with you as always.

dito
Old 03-13-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Hey guys, I'll PM you.
Got it! Will hit you back
Old 03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I've had this in my hands for a while now.. and will be posting up dynos for an N/A application in the next few days.. I go in for tuning on the 17th.. I will keep everyone up to speed.. and let you know what I find out...

I have high hopes for this unit based on all that I have seen ..
Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shift_N_Red
I've had this in my hands for a while now.. and will be posting up dynos for an N/A application in the next few days.. I go in for tuning on the 17th.. I will keep everyone up to speed.. and let you know what I find out...

I have high hopes for this unit based on all that I have seen ..
Alex! Curious to see what you can get with unit N/A
Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard he was using that now for his EMS... im hoping his results turn well... if he tosses it i might jump and try to cop one and use it to see what i can squeeze once im done with all my kinks
Old 03-16-2010, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

No doubt.. the BC Stage II cams are in and did about what I expected..

{for those that wonder.. the MILD cams saw a loss of 6whp below 5k and a gain of 7whp over 5k and pulled all the way to redline}

Anyway the tune will be done with a full I/H/E/P/Cam Setup.. so we will see what can be pulled out of her..

Keep your phone near you Paul.. I may be calling you tomorrow.. LOL
Old 03-16-2010, 06:45 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

{for those that wonder.. the MILD cams saw a loss of 6whp below 5k and a gain of 7whp over 5k and pulled all the way to redline}

Anyway the tune will be done with a full I/H/E/P/Cam Setup.. so we will see what can be pulled out of her..

Good to know Alex. I am curious to see how it all goes at Tony's.

Cams are only a good investment if you spend the time tuning.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

6 whp is a considerable drop below 5k... im trying to figure out why which i can only attribute it to tuning. what was the fuel/timing looking like at that rpm if u know?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

i like turboz
Old 03-16-2010, 08:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TCpete
6 whp is a considerable drop below 5k... im trying to figure out why which i can only attribute it to tuning. what was the fuel/timing looking like at that rpm if u know?
Probably has more to do with how the runner and cylinder fill now that he has changed lift and duration over stock. Those cams have effectively moved the entire power band and he is still on a stock intake manifold which has long runners. The refraction of the pressure wave which fills the port between opening and closing has probably been weakened at those rpm for the given compression of the engine. With a weakened pressure wave signal you get a lower velocity of runner and port filling which makes for a lazier engine at certain operating conditions. If he could change the VVTi settings there he could take advantage of the new lift more.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes i know that... hence why i would point my finger at adjustments in that range which was why i was asking parameters. im having the same issue only low in the rpm range and only for a few hundred rpms where the car bucks.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What RPM range? What are your A/F number like when it's bucking?

Quick Reply: Long overdue: APR Power In-line ECU Release (Screen shots PG7)