Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Long overdue: APR Power In-line ECU Release (Screen shots PG7)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
The stock Toyo ECU looks at those three points as "trigger" values for learning processes of fuel trims. Idle is first and usually takes about 45-60 seconds of idling even off of cold start to begin evaluating the learning process.

In short, all 3 positions, per several Toyo Engineers are important.
I won't argue with that! Thanks for the info. Now if only I had a piggyback that could work in unison with the infinitely more advanced factory ECU instead of one that can only modify ECU input sensors and crudely control the fuel injector pulse duration...

Imagine what a lowly Atom CPU with 1G ram and 16GB of SSD storage could do for a ECU/stand-alone/piggy. But that's the easy part, that's what I know, the hardware... Writing the firmware/software is another matter entirely.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I don't know if my XB2 ECU is that different from the TC's or if the difference is OBD1 vs OBD2 but even on the coldest days my ECU enters CL as soon as the primary O2 sensor warms up (~1 minute). Even then, my cold engine fuel trims are very different from my hot engine trims. It seems to me that the ECU uses different fuel tables or makes adjustments when cold vs hot. That might explain why a CL cold idle FT of -15% becomes +15% when hot. Then again, it could be caused by other factors as well. I'm unsure. I know what I've seen and data logged but am still working out the cause and effect.

I'm sorry I didn't realize it was you that I spoke with the other day. NP on not getting back to me before and I understand why you would want to do the testing in-house. I'm not exactly close by and any problems would have to be handled by phone calls and emails. But if you guys ever change your minds, I'd be very happy to test the X-1 on my XB2. The X-1 is what a piggyback should be and not like the weak piggyhacks currently available for Toyotas.
The difference is not per say different tables. It's the amount of coolant temp feedback and/or air intake temp feedback the main fuel map gets. THAT is where the difference in trims comes along.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The difference is not per say different tables. It's the amount of coolant temp feedback and/or air intake temp feedback the main fuel map gets. THAT is where the difference in trims comes along.
Thanks Paul. That makes perfect sense to me.

I realize the potential market is small compared to the TC but if you guys were to offer a X-1 version for the XB2 I believe it would also work with the Corolla and Rav4. Hopefully all it would take is a new harness and some testing.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Thanks Paul. That makes perfect sense to me.

I realize the potential market is small compared to the TC but if you guys were to offer a X-1 version for the XB2 I believe it would also work with the Corolla and Rav4. Hopefully all it would take is a new harness and some testing.
I am working on getting into testing for the xB2. I will keep you posted.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am working on getting into testing for the xB2. I will keep you posted.
Sweet!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^X2
Old 03-01-2010, 11:55 PM
SL Member

any chance that this ecu will be bundled with your s1 kit? hopefully with a small discount. thanks
Old 03-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by red123
any chance that this ecu will be bundled with your s1 kit? hopefully with a small discount. thanks
Sure can! Email me about it

I did that for a customer
Old 03-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

A few people have asked about this unit and emissions. Let me clarify that it CAN pass a plug-in emissions test pending that your calibration is logical just like an AEM FIC, E-manage and E-manage Ultimate. What I mean is that if it's not excessively rich or lean, does not have any O2 codes, knock etc.

The OBD port is still active and the ECU still throws codes. ALSO, make sure your fuel trims are in line! No more than -5 LTFT
Old 03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
SL Member

another question, will this unit come with a start up calibration? base map? if so how? or should we treat it like a standalone, ie tuner starts from scratch.

the promise of an oem turbo'ed feel of this unit, without going standalone is really what im after.

itll be my first time to get a kit, im not going for some insane numbers just fun daily driver and i want to do it right and be done with it. cheers
Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by red123
another question, will this unit come with a start up calibration? base map? if so how? or should we treat it like a standalone, ie tuner starts from scratch.

the promise of an oem turbo'ed feel of this unit, without going standalone is really what im after.

itll be my first time to get a kit, im not going for some insane numbers just fun daily driver and i want to do it right and be done with it. cheers
The map will just need to be tweaked for onset of what your turbo setup needs, and the appropriate ignition timing as well. Should be very straight forward and easy for your tuner to accomplish.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What applications are better-suited for RTD'S vs thermocouples and vice-versa?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

I will be watching more reviews on this, I might be moving to a new place where OBD inspection is required.. hydra might go if that happens
Old 03-06-2010, 07:55 PM
SL Member

I just got this unit. The setup is T3 turbo (hoping to upgrade sometime soon), 700cc injectors, water/meth injection, built engine. I will let you all know how it turns out. Dezod just took my order for this unit on Thursday, i think. So hopefully i will be driving my car in about a moth- month and a half.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by SB08tc
I just got this unit. The setup is T3 turbo (hoping to upgrade sometime soon), 700cc injectors, water/meth injection, built engine. I will let you all know how it turns out. Dezod just took my order for this unit on Thursday, i think. So hopefully i will be driving my car in about a moth- month and a half.
National Speed did your AEM EMS and tune. So not feeling that or looking for more emissions friendly equipment?
Old 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I won't argue with that! Thanks for the info. Now if only I had a piggyback that could work in unison with the infinitely more advanced factory ECU instead of one that can only modify ECU input sensors and crudely control the fuel injector pulse duration...

Imagine what a lowly Atom CPU with 1G ram and 16GB of SSD storage could do for a ECU/stand-alone/piggy. But that's the easy part, that's what I know, the hardware... Writing the firmware/software is another matter entirely.
So I was doing some homework with one of the engineers this week on this unit for the xB, and so far all seems like a green light for this. The cam and crank sensors thresholds and outputs for the xB 08+ appear to be the same as the tC, which was one concern for the engineer whom I was dealing with. So next step will be real world testing on the xB.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Unit and software tool included together?
Old 03-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by Prototype_xB
Unit and software tool included together?
Software is downloaded from their site:

http://aprpower.com/ecu_downloads.html

Unit comes complete with wiring harness, modified unit and a base cal.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:11 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

/\/\ awesome!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:14 AM
SL Member

Default It's all good!

National Speed did your AEM EMS and tune. So not feeling that or looking for more emissions friendly equipment?

Yes Sir they did. The AEM EMS is cool would have loved to see how fine tuned Taylor could have gotten it. That is over some sessions of tuning. I just need "more emissions friendly equipment", as you said. I'm hoping that i can still get crazy with the TC. You know, bigger turbo and so on. Thanks by the way. I have gotten a few parts from ya'lls store.

Quick Reply: Long overdue: APR Power In-line ECU Release (Screen shots PG7)