Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

low maint. turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah...it's called trading in for an Evo!

Seriously...whatever you saved up...double it.
And this is not something you should jump into if your not prepared to put some work into.

That being said, I've been dailing driving my boosted tC for about 2 years now. Drove it 6 hours from LV to AZ and back (the trip back only took 3.5 hours!) And now, all I do is regular maintenece. So it can be done...it just takes a little TLC and alot of double checking the first time around.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Ronin Scion
SL Member
Premium Member

yeah problems are usually just on the start assuming you have reliable parts that dont just fail and its well installed maintained, once everything is settled and figured out there will be less problems.. and oh most of the issues i have on the system is because of tweaking and upgrading if i stopped doing so then prolly all i would have been doing is just maintenance and inspection
Old 03-29-2009, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Here's my problem with the "buy an evo/sti/350z/blah blah blah" method of thinking...

People who don't have them generally think of them as really fast cars, and they somewhat are in their own right. However, pretty much any turbo tC can hand it to any of those cars, mine did with my old setup easily. However, once you beat one in your turbo tC, the owners of those cars then say stuff like "Well, my car is for track and road racing, you wouldn't beat me there!".

So WHY DO THEY DRAG RACE?!?! If you're going to make dumb excuses like that, then don't race in a straight line. IMO, I drive my car under normal driving conditions a lot more than I track it up, so it makes sense to me to have a car that performs well in straight lines and stuff first, but can still hold its own at the track and in a road race.

If you're not planning on time attacks, autocross, road racing, rally, etc, then there's no point in spending all that dough on what's basically an import status car... Especially when a tC with under 7k can rape that crap out of one. And you get more respect because evo's/sti's are a dime a dozen. Turbo tC's are still relatively rare.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

*raises hans* Ptuning! ftmfw
Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree...but he asked for a low maintenence turbo...that option being a car that is boosted from the factory as they are tuned to run, not neccessarily to win.

My issue with the evo/sti/350z/blah blah blah is that the base HP to the wheels on ALL those cars is actually LESS then what I'm making now, so that would actually be a step DOWN in power...which means I would have to build it up with a larger turbo, IC, exhaust, piping, managemnt, tune...which would then put me in the same boat i'm in now where my car is not a reliable as it was when it was stock!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joyride
Says the guy who's not yet boosted!
Old 03-29-2009, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
hey, hey there. Dont hate. Its not easy for a full time college student to save about 6k... plus i did my research, and yes imo Ptuning seems the best bet. So im 100% support of them. So what if im not boosted. I still can have my preferred choice of boosting, and can support them as much as i can. Cuz i know eventually i will be rocking it, so hah.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

It's sort of an inside joke .
Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

carbon knows what I'm talkin about
but joyride...don't take that comment the wrong way.
This tread is about a low maintenence turbo.
You can't really say how low maintenence a turbo kit is till you actually have it, install it, tune it, drive it, ya know?
Especially a kit like PTuning which isn't even released yet.

ANY aftermarket turbo kit, you are going to have some sort of issues with. Don't worry...you'll see...
Old 03-29-2009, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Haha no doubt, but all in all PTUNING FTMFW hahaha it is an inside joke
Old 03-29-2009, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

You can't really say how low maintenence a turbo kit is till you actually have it, install it, tune it, drive it, ya know?

ANY aftermarket turbo kit, you are going to have some sort of issues with. Don't worry...you'll see...

Nooo, you're missing my point. The "PTuning!" thing is an inside joke lol.

And I don't have any problems with my kit. . The only thing that I can say is wrong with my car, is that my dumptube rattles against my S-Pipe/DP flange. No wheel hop issues, no stuttering, no stalling problems, no CEL, no hesitation, etc.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CarbonXe

And I don't have any problems with my kit. . The only thing that I can say is wrong with my car, is that my dumptube rattles against my S-Pipe/DP flange. No wheel hop issues, no stuttering, no stalling problems, no CEL, no hesitation, etc.
you never told me about the dumptube rattling
Old 03-29-2009, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by crush02342002

you never told me about the dumptube rattling
That's because I don't care about it lol.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NVMyTc
I have met MANY MANY turbo TC owners here in So Cal and can honestly say I don't know any of them who have never came across some sort of problems with their setup.

Issues as small as fouled out spark plugs, oil leaks, blown gaskets and bad tunes, all the way to blown motors

The only Turbo Tc I have been in that felt like a stock turbo was one with a hydra standalone. Add that to the cost of a good turbo kit and you have a nice down payment on a new WRX.

I'm not trying you to discourage you from turboing your car, I'm actually working on turboing 3 cars in my club very soon. Im just telling you that stuff will happen.
All those problems you've mentioned, were due to personal error.

Odds are, the fouled spark plugs were caused by someone trying to street tune.
Oil leaks were caused by a sloppy install.
Blown gasket caused by overboosting or constantly driving the car like a retard.
Bad tune, obviously user error.
And I've never seen a blown motor that wasn't caused by user error.

It all comes back to the install and the tune. And the majority of the people don't understand that.
In my case and more recently Unit_zero's case, our Spark plugs were fouled out due to a faulty primary 02 sensor, which threw code 2195, which means car running lean, making the ECU dump fuel when it shouldn't have. I don't know how that's "personal error"

Ive had a blown gasket between the turbo and manifold, and i don't drive like a retard and I wasn't overboosting, This stuff just happens sometimes. I bought copper gaskets the second time around and they worked fine.

and about the blown motor, depending on the setup, boost spikes do happen...

as you can see not all problems are user error.

CarbonXe, if your car is running perfectly, thats awesome but i would consider you the exception to most turbo Tc's.

Not trying to start a ____ing war, just saying stuff happens
Old 03-29-2009, 09:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have met MANY MANY turbo TC owners here in So Cal and can honestly say I don't know any of them who have never came across some sort of problems with their setup.

Issues as small as fouled out spark plugs, oil leaks, blown gaskets and bad tunes, all the way to blown motors

The only Turbo Tc I have been in that felt like a stock turbo was one with a hydra standalone. Add that to the cost of a good turbo kit and you have a nice down payment on a new WRX.

I'm not trying you to discourage you from turboing your car, I'm actually working on turboing 3 cars in my club very soon. Im just telling you that stuff will happen.

Blown gasket caused by overboosting or constantly driving the car like a retard.

It all comes back to the install and the tune. And the majority of the people don't understand that.
In my case and more recently Unit_zero's case, our Spark plugs were fouled out due to a faulty primary 02 sensor, which threw code 2195, which means car running lean, making the ECU dump fuel when it shouldn't have. I don't know how that's "personal error"

Ive had a blown gasket between the turbo and manifold, and i don't drive like a retard and I wasn't overboosting, This stuff just happens sometimes. I bought copper gaskets the second time around and they worked fine.

CarbonXe, if your car is running perfectly, thats awesome but i would consider you the exception to most turbo Tc's.

kinda like painting a car i would say. the more prep work you do the more time you put into it the better it will be for you. boost spikes happen for a reason. you need to go over the full set up when you get it done and not just bash on it. you fix the little things wrong with them before they get major. most people they can be boosted in one day. thats false. takes time to do something right. quality plays a huge role in all this also.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

And what caused the O2 sensor to go bad? They don't just randomly fail, something caused it to.

And it takes a lot of mileage to foul out spark plugs. They don't just foul out from getting one seconds worth of extra fuel. Also, the primary O2 sensor will immediately throw a code is something is wrong, I know because I ran without an O2 sensor for 3 months. Sorry, but if the O2 sensor randomly went bad, then you kept driving (now with a bad tune) without fixing the problem, causing the spark plugs to foul out. I was on an incredibly rich, in boost, tune for 2-3 months (9:1-11:1) and my plugs are still working fine and dandy. Hell, I didn't even have a fuel cut off on decel and my plugs are still fine. Do I need to replace them soon? Yes. Is it part of regular car maintenance? Yes. Did they go bad fast from user error? Yes.

My car is running as close to perfectly as I can imagine it. And I blame the others (who have ____ty running cars) for half assing everything. Everytime someone asks about a turbo kit or how much, etc...I always say around $7-8,000 to do things right. Then I get morons try to say it can be done for $3,000. Those are the morons who's cars blow up in a matter of months.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionTific
SL Member

Well it can be done for 3k, but it wont be done right, and it becomes a ticking time bomb more or less. ull just end up spending more in the end. my buddy bought a kit off ebay for like 1.5k even tho i told him to get a reputable kit, long story short, hes had to buy around 4 of those kits, all of which blow out the turbo seals, and is no buyin more pieces so i can fix it : P Just do your research, take your time, and kno one thing.... Boost is addicting.... : )
Old 03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And what caused the O2 sensor to go bad? They don't just randomly fail, something caused it to.

And it takes a lot of mileage to foul out spark plugs. They don't just foul out from getting one seconds worth of extra fuel. Also, the primary O2 sensor will immediately throw a code is something is wrong, I know because I ran without an O2 sensor for 3 months. Sorry, but if the O2 sensor randomly went bad, then you kept driving (now with a bad tune) without fixing the problem, causing the spark plugs to foul out. I was on an incredibly rich, in boost, tune for 2-3 months (9:1-11:1) and my plugs are still working fine and dandy. Hell, I didn't even have a fuel cut off on decel and my plugs are still fine. Do I need to replace them soon? Yes. Is it part of regular car maintenance? Yes. Did they go bad fast from user error? Yes.

My car is running as close to perfectly as I can imagine it. And I blame the others (who have ____ty running cars) for half assing everything. Everytime someone asks about a turbo kit or how much, etc...I always say around $7-8,000 to do things right. Then I get morons try to say it can be done for $3,000. Those are the morons who's cars blow up in a matter of months.
How can you say 02 sensors dont just fail on their own? your saying evey failed 02 is user error? WOW

And it DOES NOT take alot of mile to foul out a spark plug. Here is proof, look half way down the thread, those Autolite are after 30 Minutes of running the car

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...909&highlight=

I see this conversation with you is going nowhere, so if you have anything furthur to tell me please PM me, and lets keep this thread clean for the OP
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

How can you say 02 sensors dont just fail on their own? your saying evey failed 02 is user error? WOW

And it DOES NOT take alot of mile to foul out a spark plug. Here is proof, look half way down the thread, those Autolite are after 30 Minutes of running the car

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...909&highlight=

I see this conversation with you is going nowhere, so if you have anything furthur to tell me please PM me, and lets keep this thread clean for the OP
What causes an O2 sensor to go bad? The only thing that could cause it to go bad, would be faulty wiring or if it gets fouled to the point that it can no longer read oxygen. So as long as the cars tune is fine, nothing should go wrong with it. Now, he wasn't running an A/F sensor, so odds are, he had been running rich, fouled out the O2 sensor, killed it and caused the car to run even worse. So I'm going to have to say that it's his fault because he's running without an A/F gauge.

So let's go back. No AFR gauge (already doing things COMPLETELY wrong). Killed an O2 sensor (most likely killed by a poor tune). Fouled out plugs (still refuse to believe that they fouled out that fast, considering my car was running so rich that I couldn't even make a dyno pull because it would sputter, and my plugs are still working fine). Threw some CELs along the way. And kept driving the car, regardless or a terrible tune (causing things to get worse).

So yeah, I'm going to have to say that it was his own fault. I would even go as far as guessing that he wasn't even properly tuned.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have more to say, but I will just save my energy, no point in talking to you

Quick Reply: low maint. turbo