Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

LSD or not to LSD? With a Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 09:48 PM
aen
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how do you install it?
Old 09-16-2007, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by aen
how do you install it?
I would say slide it on something and bolt it down to something. j/k

Not sure.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you guys are missing one of the other great things the lsd changes, yeah, performance in a straightline is important, but it also just gives a huge change to the handling.

i'm not boosted, but launches are idiot proof, and now the car has difference handling characteristics that i'm still getting the hang of.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't the TRD LSD a Quaife LSD?? I'd hit it up myself if building the engine on up. An LSD is made to have both tires grip and have power to ground at all times instead of just one. It's perfect for straight line racing since it'll be locked and good when taking curves disributing the power to both wheels. Just do a burnout on a stock tC and only one tire will smoke on up, and that same one is doing all the work when you launch at the drag track or wherever you driving. Get a LSD and both tires will work and help get more power to the ground helping improve launches and acceleration times. Don't forget that tires play a good part too.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes, the trd lsd is a rebadged quaife lsd, and for drag racing, the best set up is to lock the differential together, but that makes handling terrible.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

No doubt the LSD is great for any FI setup - I had mine installed when I did my clutch/flywheel - If money isnt the issue just stop the post and get it. No doubt you will be happy. Even with FI and the LSD you cant just dump the clutch hard unless u have drag tires.

And one of the reasons why the tC didnt come with an LSD is that they wanted to keep the cost low and without FI there wasn't as high of a need for an LSD. The good part is that it surely is a rebranded quaife. Quaife sold some LSD's for the tC but then they stopped selling them and yanked all the pending orders (because Toyota bought the part) - Long story short - if you have the $$ and plan on upgrading your clutch/flywheel ...its a sure decision of getting it. .....thats why I waited to get those done together. Hope that all helped your decision.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Well I think my questions have been answered and doubts about it are gone. The only problem is the money part now. So buy my crap people.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

^ put a link in your signature. By the way ..... I dont want to make you want it even more now but if you have any stop signs by your house that are inclinded ..... and when you take off you have to go real slow because of wheel spin ... you can just take off with the lsd. Same goes for rain - You can surely pick up speed faster (just make sure you have an engine dampener or engine mounts). One thing that I found was hydroplaning chances goes down because your car will still try to go strait (if you are holding the wheel) even when the one tire starts to slip. I also think that getting the tires I have was a big plus. The LSD and 225 tires really help each other out.