Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

MAF Before of After the Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 AM
SL Member

I went blow thru seems much easier to tune.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
SL Member

I switched it back last night and its running again. Still working on the the unclamped part of maf map i have the hardest time on that lol. The O2 map needs a little work. But for the most part im fine till I get a pro to tune this thing with a larger spring.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
SL Member

On my MAF map everyone have the bottom voltage at like 2.19 for some reason my car doesn't like that will start but stalls pretty fast. I'm all the way down by like 1.1
Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My engine didnt blow ? But it is in pieces - the car and motor only had 18K lol but I got other whip as DD. I got alot of crap going on besides my car and a girl that has been taking up all my time not to mention $$ lol but prob next summer.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by boardriderxxx
Yea, like 40min away.
I might be able to help you in Sept. I have something cooking there now around the first or second week of Sept. Email me for details.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bdyer666
I went blow thru seems much easier to tune.

How long were you running the APR on your pull through set up before you switched? What were your IAT's before you switched? I'm heavily considering blow through since the APR tunes off the MAF and doesn't like high IAT's.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XPRTc
How long were you running the APR on your pull through set up before you switched? What were your IAT's before you switched? I'm heavily considering blow through since the APR tunes off the MAF and doesn't like high IAT's.
Me too. Very interested.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Personally I would do after the turbo for a few reasons.

1. The IAT sensor is in the MAF. You want the most accurate IAT readings possible and what is under the hood and what is coming out of the inter cooler are two different things. So getting the correct readings are important.

2. Less restriction in front of the turbo. Granted the stock MAF is not very restrictive. However most intakes that have to house them can be. So eliminating that from the intake and putting it post turbo will allow you to run a much larger intake with a larger filter. Larger filters have more surface area and lend to a less restrictive setup. This will improve spool and performance of the turbo charger across the board.

3. You can run a BOV and dump to atmosphere with no issues.

The only thing you want to keep in mind is that when you run it blow thru that if you have an oil leak from your turbo your chances of damaging the sensor are greater.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon

1. The IAT sensor is in the MAF. You want the most accurate IAT readings possible and what is under the hood and what is coming out of the inter cooler are two different things. So getting the correct readings are important.

2. Less restriction in front of the turbo. Granted the stock MAF is not very restrictive. However most intakes that have to house them can be. So eliminating that from the intake and putting it post turbo will allow you to run a much larger intake with a larger filter. Larger filters have more surface area and lend to a less restrictive setup. This will improve spool and performance of the turbo charger across the board.

The only thing you want to keep in mind is that when you run it blow thru that if you have an oil leak from your turbo your chances of damaging the sensor are greater.
Good info, thanks Don. I'd like to go blow-thru but have one concern. Since I'm tuning off the MAF with the X1 I really should keep the MAF in a 3" tube but that would mean having 2" tubing from turbo to IC, 2.75" IC out into 3" tube and then reduced to 2.5" at the TB. I'm unsure about the ramifications of running a large 3" tube between the IC and TB. What do you think? TIA
Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Good info, thanks Don. I'd like to go blow-thru but have one concern. Since I'm tuning off the MAF with the X1 I really should keep the MAF in a 3" tube but that would mean having 2" tubing from turbo to IC, 2.75" IC out into 3" tube and then reduced to 2.5" at the TB. I'm unsure about the ramifications of running a large 3" tube between the IC and TB. What do you think? TIA
So you want to run a 3" IC tube from the IC to TB?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
So you want to run a 3" IC tube from the IC to TB?
Yes, but only so that the MAF sits in a oem size tube. I'm thinking that as long as I'm making a new intake, why not go blow-thru and vent the BOV to atmosphere. I'd still make a new 3" air intake for the turbo.

I'm just not sure how well a 3" tube would work in this location.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DezodDon

4. Better transient throttle response.

*When I was speaking with Paul about blow through set ups he mentioned that success with running the BOV to atmosphere is contingent to the design of each set up. That makes sense since there are certain precautions that must be made in order to prevent turbulence. Could you or Paul elaborate on those guidelines ie MAF must be 6inches or further from the BOV and away from bends?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When your charge pipe blows off at 100 mph, you can still drive the car with the maf after the turbo.

I can vouch for this last night
Old 08-23-2010, 01:57 AM
1AZ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

((((((((((((((((((((((deathbyc4 When your charge pipe blows off at 100 mph, you can still drive the car with the maf after the turbo.

I can vouch for this last night ))))))))))))))

doh