Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The Magic Smoke: I'm Letting it Out

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default The Magic Smoke: I'm Letting it Out

So, I guess for awhile the magic smoke has been getting out of my exhaust. Only recently has it become an issue where people behind me are telling me, "Hey, your car is smoking!"

I'll get some video of it soon enough.

It happens inbetween gears the most. After that, say I stop in a McDs or something, it'll smoke at idle for a few minutes. Driving hard exacerbates the problem.

It's thin lightly white bluish colored smoke. The smell of burnt oil comes through through the vents at red lights or after turning the car on after a recent shut down. It dissipates quickly. Of course, that smell didn't start until after I had an incident with an ill-fated oil filter that wasn't tightened up all the way and spewed onto a really hot oil tank and underside of the engine.

I'm guessing the turbo, which now has over 16,000 miles on it, is finally going. Its the water/oil cooled Turbonetics turbo that came in the kit.

So, as I described, what do you think it is?
Old 05-26-2010, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

im no turbo expert, and you know way more than me, but it sounds like the seals in the turbo maybe.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

definitely turbo seals. time for a new turbo or rebuild.

i had the same problem with a chinese 16g then i got a new MHI 16g turbo and no more smoke.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

compression check too.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2 ^ the blueish tint is the one id be afraid of
Old 05-27-2010, 05:03 PM

its the crank pressure. Unscrew your oil cap and check how much air comes out. Also if you dont mind getting the hood a little oily, leave the oil cap out and take it around the block. I had a few recent posts about this.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:28 PM
SL Member

same damn thing just started happening to my car to! its bad when i run the AC to, like a freakin smoke stack lol. ive got 20k miles on my turbo : ( to broke at the moment to do anything tho lol
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Long time no see, what you've been up to brotha?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM
SL Member

polski, lets say that me and him dont have an issue with out turbos, which im pretty sure i do, is there anything we can do about the air escaping the oil cap?

was that to me carlanga?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:03 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

my bad wyt, that was for Garrett.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

simply put, if you pull the dipstick out and see smoke, or get a decent amount of smoke out of the front breather - youve cracked at least on ring landing - a compression test will verify that - that cylinder will be in the 100-130 range - whereas the rest will be at 160-190.

A cracked ring landing will also cause positive crankcase pressure which will cause the turbo to smoke - most noteably at idle and on decel.

Also, just noting, once i went back to na after having this happen to me - other than a loss in power, there were no real symptoms - didnt really burn oil, or blow any smoke at all - more than likely due to the fact that the oil control rings werent damaged - only the compression ring landings.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:20 PM

Me and Gompka fully built a motor and still had alot of air coming out the oil fill hole. I do not want to give false info but we are thinking that its an issue with the pcv closing when your in boost. We want to make an extra fitting in the oil cap (another oil cap is a few bucks) and route it to the intake to see if this helps. All the pressure in the crank case is not allowing the oil to gravity drain out of the turbo into the oil pan so then the easiest way for the oil to get out is through the turbo seals.

I know some old GM cars had an adapter that you could put between the valve cover and the oil cap to let off crank pressure when the rings were going bad. Some Catepillars also have the crank pressure releif fitting on the neck where the oil cap screws on so making a fitting in the oil cap should be ok.

The fittings must all be the same size to keep an equilibrium in the flow of the crank case pressure because you will get extra oil coming out of which ever fitting is largest.

So a final thought there is something weird with the design of these motors and the positive crank pressure that exists ... its very bad for turbos

Last edited by polskifacet; 05-28-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The seals may be going, but with only 16k and water-cooled, they should still be ok. The pcv pressure is also the reason all these people are blowing out their s/c seals, which are much weaker than turbo seals. If you go for a drive without that oil cap, you will see no smoke, dunno if doing something with the pcv will help you at this point, but think about it changing turbo's every 16k is b/s.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Carlanga
Long time no see, what you've been up to brotha?
Working. Been getting ***** deep into this photography thing as well. Hows the twins doing?

Originally Posted by WytonWyt
same damn thing just started happening to my car to! its bad when i run the AC to, like a freakin smoke stack lol. ive got 20k miles on my turbo : ( to broke at the moment to do anything tho lol
When I run my A/C it smokes even worse as you say yours does.

I need to do as crush and you all suggested and do a compression test.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:19 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by thendawg
simply put, if you pull the dipstick out and see smoke, or get a decent amount of smoke out of the front breather - youve cracked at least on ring landing - a compression test will verify that - that cylinder will be in the 100-130 range - whereas the rest will be at 160-190.

A cracked ring landing will also cause positive crankcase pressure which will cause the turbo to smoke - most noteably at idle and on decel.

Also, just noting, once i went back to na after having this happen to me - other than a loss in power, there were no real symptoms - didnt really burn oil, or blow any smoke at all - more than likely due to the fact that the oil control rings werent damaged - only the compression ring landings.
yea, i have smoke the comes out of that little vent on the head that connects via hose the the intake with the stock air box on...soo it could be something internally in the motor if its not an oil seal...____? what kind of works required to fix that?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, not only have I started to have this problem this morning:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...9;t+shift+gear
Old 05-29-2010, 11:08 PM
SL Member

ouch damn man, that blows
Old 05-30-2010, 03:46 PM

I figured it out the 2AZ-FE is a long stroke motor which means that it since it was at one time a smaller motor and toyota bored it out to a 2.4 , the pistons have more movement than the engine was originally designed for. So simply put, this motor is too small for the pistons that it is now using. So you cant do anything to fix it, you just gotta make some breathers. (this is in the scenario that your rings are fine)
Old 05-30-2010, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WytonWyt
ouch damn man, that blows
Yup.

Jump in the car this morning. Off it shifted like butter. Turned it on, waited for the water temp to get up to 177F, tried shifting into first and it wasn't going to happen...
Old 05-31-2010, 07:52 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheFantasticG
Working. Been getting ***** deep into this photography thing as well. Hows the twins doing?
Cool, got to see some of that work. The babies r doing fine, we just got Delailah Belle five days ago. Trinity Bella is still at the hospital though, she just went through her second surgery three days ago. I'm hoping to bring her home within the next two weeks. They were born April 12th and she's still there, it has been a roller coaster man. Oh well, we've been blessed with two beautiful girls and we are sooo happy.

About ur car, just be glad yours lasted twice as my cc3 and you were still at home when it happened lol. Whenever ur ready for an install let me know. If you get to plan it ahead of time, I'll most likely will be able to get some time to lend you a hand. Done four installs already and an LSD, let me know.

BTW, the wifey is planning on getting a new camera for baby picture taking. Her options are the Nikkon D5000 or the Canon T2i. What do ya think?

Quick Reply: The Magic Smoke: I'm Letting it Out