Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The Magic Smoke: I'm Letting it Out

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by polskifacet
Me and Gompka fully built a motor and still had alot of air coming out the oil fill hole. I do not want to give false info but we are thinking that its an issue with the pcv closing when your in boost. We want to make an extra fitting in the oil cap (another oil cap is a few bucks) and route it to the intake to see if this helps. All the pressure in the crank case is not allowing the oil to gravity drain out of the turbo into the oil pan so then the easiest way for the oil to get out is through the turbo seals.

I know some old GM cars had an adapter that you could put between the valve cover and the oil cap to let off crank pressure when the rings were going bad. Some Catepillars also have the crank pressure releif fitting on the neck where the oil cap screws on so making a fitting in the oil cap should be ok.

The fittings must all be the same size to keep an equilibrium in the flow of the crank case pressure because you will get extra oil coming out of which ever fitting is largest.

So a final thought there is something weird with the design of these motors and the positive crank pressure that exists ... its very bad for turbos
Correct me if im wrong but instead of doing the whole oil cap modifying wouldnt an oil catch can do the same thing? It catches the access oil while also connecting to the intake to help relieve pressure from the crank case? At least so i thought..
Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by BigPinoyTC
Correct me if im wrong but instead of doing the whole oil cap modifying wouldnt an oil catch can do the same thing? It catches the access oil while also connecting to the intake to help relieve pressure from the crank case? At least so i thought..
There is a lot more air coming out than those tiny fitting can handle.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigPinoyTC
Catch can only catches oil, it doesn't releave any extra pressure because its using the same hoses that are there to begin with. Putting another fitting somewhere, oil cap is the easier than drilling a hole in the valve cover, will allow another way for pressure to escape.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I changed the PCV valve to the new design on (per crush).

There's no smoke coming out of the dipstick hole when running.

I haven't been able to take it for a run yet.

Originally Posted by Carlanga
Cool, got to see some of that work. The babies r doing fine, we just got Delailah Belle five days ago. Trinity Bella is still at the hospital though, she just went through her second surgery three days ago. I'm hoping to bring her home within the next two weeks. They were born April 12th and she's still there, it has been a roller coaster man. Oh well, we've been blessed with two beautiful girls and we are sooo happy.

About ur car, just be glad yours lasted twice as my cc3 and you were still at home when it happened lol. Whenever ur ready for an install let me know. If you get to plan it ahead of time, I'll most likely will be able to get some time to lend you a hand. Done four installs already and an LSD, let me know.

BTW, the wifey is planning on getting a new camera for baby picture taking. Her options are the Nikkon D5000 or the Canon T2i. What do ya think?

Glad to hear about the babies.

The clutch... I'm not sure what the **** is going on with it. It's been shifting fine since that day.

I love Nikon, but between those two I'd go with the Canon T2i. Between the Nikon D90 and T2i, I'd go with the Nikon D90.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What new design one?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The one with the bigger hole.

And it smokes a lot less now.

A/C on its bluish smoke.