Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

major problem.... need some advice car is f..ed up

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default major problem.... need some advice car is f..ed up

lets see where to start..
a couple of months ago i bought a 2007 tc, shortly after i ended up supercharging it (trd), installed by a authorized dealer.
well yesterday i got the car back from the shop. i just had the shop install....
1. Qualif lsd
2. exedy clutch
3. fidenza flywheel
4. energy motor mounts

after i got the car back. i noticed the normal things that come along with the upgrades. like the vibrations from the mounts, the stiffness of the clutch. i also understand that for the clutch you need a 1000 mile break in period... well any way drove it for a day... then

then the problem
took a friend for a ride so he could feel the vibration of the motor mounts.
went around the block, i was in second gear. i ran the car out to about 4500-5000 rmps then a violent governor slow down happened.(guys with the supercharger knows what i'm talking about) from there my rpms started dropping. i let off the gas and drifted to a stop. the car shut off.
i would try to start it again, and the only way it would stay ideling was if i were to keep giving it gas. but at even a idel it was like it was miss firing( like the car was choking ). my friends told me while i was in the car tryn to get the car to start black smoke(carbon) was coming out the exhaust.

i was able to drive it back to my buddies house, from there my friends told me it could be
spark plugs
coil packs
i blew a cylinder

i was only about 10 miles away from the dealership i deal with so i drove it out there to drop it off.

now i know theres something wrong, when you have 3/4 tank of gas and i only drive 9.7 miles and my gas light came on 2 minutes before we got there.....

if there is anyone that would have a clue on whats going on...
please post up.... i really hope this wont f with my warrenty...

again, any insight at all.. thanks
Old 08-15-2009, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's all my fault should never ask'd for that ride. Ha. We'll get it fixed buddy. But atleast at this point in time I can finally say my tC's faster. lol. But seriously guys any input would be greatful.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, black smoke usually means it is running rich. now, how long has the supercharger been on the tc mileage wise? did you take time to carefully break it in? all these problems really have to be from the supercharger because it is a problem with the ECU, timing, spark plugs, fuel system etc.

the clutch, lsd, and motor mounts doesn't have anything to do with that, your best bet is to have the engine and supercharger looked at by your dealership that installed it.

as for the violent governor slowdown happening...i don't know what you're talking about there...rev limitor is at over 6k rpms, and just briefly stops accelerationg while the rpms drop a second, speed limitor is 127 also...if your tc has been doing that frequently then there was something wrong with it.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

ive had the supercharger now for about 2,200-2,500 miles. i was told that there was no break in time. and i was also told by 2 toyota people that 500-1000 miles would be good for a break in... so i ran the car past the 600-700 mile mark. then i started to get more aggressive with my car. but even having the charger for 5 months now. i still don't beat my car.

and as for the speed limitor thing. thats exactly what it felt like....
it was like i hit the speed limtor but i was in 2nd @5000. and that was the first time that had ever happened to me...

now being to rich may have caused this?.... from what i understand when they reflash my ecu. its like getting a new tune for the supercharger... am i right .
or does it mean it just can read the new componets, and i still should get this thing tuned professionally
Old 08-15-2009, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

May have a vac line jump ship on ya. Any check engine lights?
Old 08-15-2009, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

yes it threw a check engine light. But when we put a code reader in it. It said no codes found.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

go out to ur car and reattach w/e pipe that blew off! and happy boosting!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

sounds like a major boost/ vacuum leak to me also.
Old 08-15-2009, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in the vacuum leak crowd, totally sounds like one of your lines came out
Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by ElevationTC

well damn. you hit that right on the head. thats exactly what happened. toyota fixed it in a hour.... they told me to buy the better clamps for the piping...
Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

thanks for the info and thoughts...
Old 08-15-2009, 07:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

awesome! buy some nice t-bolt clamps! The ones that come with the s/c kit are junk.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:32 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ElevationTC
This was going to be my advice. Years ago there was a guy with a t-netics kit that had a coupling blow off somewhere after the maf sensor, and the car did the same as you are explaining. The ecu is unable to provide the right fuel mixture because you're taking in air the maf isn't accounting for. When they put the transaxle back on they must have not tightened a clamp and @ 5000rpms you hit around 6-7lbs of boost and blew the coupling off. Check it out and get back to us.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by game-over
well damn. you hit that right on the head. thats exactly what happened. toyota fixed it in a hour.... they told me to buy the better clamps for the piping...
see, too easy
Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Originally Posted by Prototype_xB
Stuck in Daegu, South Korea until Nov 2010.
Damn that could suck. I was in Jinhe (Chinhae) back in January 02-April03. i loved my time in Korea. be careful with the Soju. lol

Last edited by purpled_out_tC; 08-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 08-15-2009, 11:53 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by purpled_out_tC
Damn that could suck. I was in Jinhe (Chinhae) back in January 02-April03. i loved my time in Korea. be careful with the Soju. lol
ha, that's ironic cuz our company mans a tech control at chinhae and we also support them, (not really much i can discuss about ops on here). My wife is here with me so soju isn't a problem. The problem is keeping her busy/happy while i'm gone 12+ hours a day
Old 08-15-2009, 11:58 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

yeah, i know what you mean no worries. i'm in the same "i don't want to step into that 'gray area' box" myself. we had 2 lonely soliders down there.

the MWR was great in Chinhae. if she has nothing to do in the daytime, check out the DoD school or the MWR office, she may be able to get a job there
Old 08-16-2009, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

This was going to be my advice. Years ago there was a guy with a t-netics kit that had a coupling blow off somewhere after the maf sensor, and the car did the same as you are explaining. The ecu is unable to provide the right fuel mixture because you're taking in air the maf isn't accounting for. When they put the transaxle back on they must have not tightened a clamp and @ 5000rpms you hit around 6-7lbs of boost and blew the coupling off. Check it out and get back to us.

thats exactly what happened. i had the air box unit replaced, and i guess it was not tight enough. i dropped the car off. i has almost home and they called and said it was fixed.... they also told me the same this about getting beefier clamps, and that the "supercharger clamps are junk"

so i did get the problem resolved.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

ha, that's ironic cuz our company mans a tech control at chinhae and we also support them, (not really much i can discuss about ops on here). My wife is here with me so soju isn't a problem. The problem is keeping her busy/happy while i'm gone 12+ hours a day

Originally Posted by purpled_out_tC
yeah, i know what you mean no worries. i'm in the same "i don't want to step into that 'gray area' box" myself. we had 2 lonely soliders down there.

the MWR was great in Chinhae. if she has nothing to do in the daytime, check out the DoD school or the MWR office, she may be able to get a job there

what? i'm confused...lol

Quick Reply: major problem.... need some advice car is f..ed up