Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

me beautiful stage 3 block

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dyltone, let me give you some friendly advice.

In all my exp. on scion life, I have come to two conlusions.

1. About half of the people are totally closed to new knowledge or testing of old theories.

2. No one listens nor cares if anyone had problems and wishes to vent about them.

Venting and telling what happend to you and your car, true or not, is near redundant in scionlife. It will accomplish nothing but a flame war, and I feel, along with others on here, that even though your story, whether true or not true, is a personal expirence and should be discussed with the open public, maybe, just maybe, this forum is not the place to do so. As you and many others can see, there is alot of these so called "fan boys" with their positive expirences to break down your negative expirence. Now I am not saying STFU or I don't care about your cars problems and stories, I personally do care, however, we both know, and many others on here do also, that this thread, along with other threads containing good and bad stories about ZPI, is going no where and fast.

Until Scionlife's general population opens up to the one and two findings, I have realized, along with others, and hopefully now you too, that it is better to keep information to ourselves, simply to keep the "monkeys in check" at the zoo.

Just my .02
Old 04-14-2007, 08:40 PM
Banned
SL Member

Well said and very true.

I have held my tongue for almost 18 months about my situation and I let the chips fall where they did. I have not tried to stop any one from buying ZPI, but I was caught up in a moment of rage and had to vent. I had held that anger in and now I feel better, my car is not fixed but it was cathartic and for that, I have achieved my goal. I knew I wasn't going to accomplish anything other than "getting it off my chest", I did not however, expect to be attacked by the "nut huggers".

I can honestly say, in my heart of hearts, that I have enjoyed "stirring up the pot" or "tapping on the bee hive". It's fun to see peoples true colors, good and bad. The funniest part of this whole thread, is that WhoCares and Brett live literally minutes from me and I'll meet them in person eventually. Hopefully I'll get to race them both (at the track ;) ) and I'll get to know them outside of this forum, good or bad, that's not the way "flame wars" usually end.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
I just figured it wouldn't be long before you came and put your 2 cents into it. And...yep, I was right.
You take a shot at us, and I am gonna let it slide? Think not. Don't take shots, and I will remain quiet. Simple as that.

You know, I might not have responded to your post, if it where not for that snide little remark at the end.

And? Moving along..
Old 04-14-2007, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Robs_tc
Paul doesn’t just post on here with a flame for no reason, you’re giving him one.

Oh he flames in his on little way.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 04-14-2007, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brett
my gf is an exotic dancer so it didnt cost me anything
WOW! Lucky!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

You dream of conflict that I create versus your beloved company.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Banned
SL Member

It appears that some how my long post from page 4 was deleted but some how the part where rhythmnsmoke quoted me is still there on the same page.

Hmmmm... Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it's a "system glitch" but I hate being censored!

Originally Posted by Dyltone
Originally Posted by Brett
Whatever? Brett, I have every thing you do, but better. A better shop and better fuel, better managment, and a better tuner.

wow you've really impressed me. I guess that makes you king of the scions. Are you going to go around like highlander saying "there can only be one"???
Cute but no.

I have a personal issue with ZPI and all of their fanboys. They have cost me 18 months with my car, they have cost me 6k+ for their craptastic products and they have cost me 15k plus to get my 17k car built the way it should have been built from the start.

They took over 2 weeks to install my “custom” kit, excuse after excuse... I let them all slide because I was a fanboy.

I flew home after the first 5 days and flew back a week later only to have to wait another 4 days up there for the car to be "finished". Less than 10 miles out of town (on my 1000 mile trip) I call Kenny to tell him that the exhaust and the cold side IC piping are rubbing up against each other and it’s making this horrible sound. He tells me it’s not going to hurt anything and to go home and he’ll figure it out over the phone. I’m still a fanboy so drive all the way home.

Per Kenny, I take my car to a local exhaust shop who laughs at the job ZPI did and charges me 500 dollars to shorten the IC pipe and extend their S-pipe and put real mounts on the rest of the exhaust so it will hang right and move properly under engine load. Kenny refuses to pay any of this because even though he installed every part of the exhaust, he informed me that he is not an exhaust guy.

1000 mile trip home and 1500 miles later, the car started blowing oil out of somewhere all over the valve cover and cold side of the turbo. I call Kenny and he tells me that it must me a blown seal in the turbo. He sends me a new turbo (pre clocked for his kit). After installing the new turbo, I start the car and oil sprays all over the engine. Upon removing the turbo and the center clamp, I find that there is a small pin that should have been removed by Kenny as he clocks the turbo’s in the opposite direction as they are intended so he can sell 1 kit to stage 0 and 1 people. By him failing to remove this pin, the turbo was never properly sealed (as sent by him) and just shot oil all over the engine bay.

At this point I removed the entire kit except the intercooler and sent it back to them. Every pipe was coated with oil (inside and out) and the intercooler had at least 2 quarts in the reservoir tanks on both sides. I cleaned out the IC with gas and waited and waited. 4 weeks later then sent me a new kit (which was a complete joke). They never unpacked my emanage so they didn't even check the tune and they sent a redesigned hot side IC pipe that was smashed with a hammer in 3 places with had a square end on it. They thought this pipe was nice looking enough to send to get powder coated as well! OMFG. I'll take pictures if any wants to see the square end that I was supposed to use a round clamp to attach to my car.

At any rate, I still assumed that they knew what they were doing so I started the install. The new kit they sent was missing an air filter and several bolts including a way to attach the new larger oil drain line that comes from the bottom of the turbo to the old pan plug that they welded in to the oil pan. They told me to go to the parts store and "figure it out". I installed this garbage on my car within 10 miles my car started smoking out the exhaust. No just smoke but James Bond smoke screen smoke! I call Kenny who tells me that the old kit must have blown oil in to the engine and that I should just ride it “hard for like 10 miles or so to burn out the old oil”. I tell Kenny that this is no way oil burn off, it’s something serious. He swears that it could not be anything serious and convinces me to go for a ride. I drive literally 5 miles and car dies. I was able to get it started again and get it home.

I’m telling him at this point that it’s got to be a blown head gasket or worse and he’s swearing up and down that he’s never seen this happen to any of the cars that they’ve done. As a last ditch effort to get it working, he sends me a replacement center section for the turbo. I received the part the next day and was shocked to see that same f’ing pin sticking out of the center section. I call Kenny again and he swears up and down that he removed the pin himself, I send him digital pictures of the pin and he finally admits that they must have sent me a different center section. I remove the pin and assemble the turbo, put it in the car and get ready to start the car. I know full well that this new center section is not going to fix the problem, but I don’t know what else to try. I start the car and low and behold, the car is still smoking, worse than ever. It looked like a burn out contest in my driveway.

Kenny is completely in denial that there are any problems with my car and starts calling local shops for me to get the car to for them to check it out. He gives me a phone number of a local shop and tells me that he has set up everything up, all I need to do is call the guy and bring him the car. I call the shop and they tell me that Kenny told him that I probably had a loose IC pipe or something stupid. I tell him that there is oil all over the engine bay and that smoke is coming out of the exhaust, he tells me not to come that the car is not safe to drive as the turbo could catch the oil on fire and there was no way possible that anything but internal engine damage could cause those symptoms.

I tell Kenny and he finally says, oh, you know us, we’ll stand behind our product. He’s going to set up a trucking company to come get my car. I give him my address and he tells me that he’ll get me a date in the next few days. Weeks go by with every excuse in the book and a few that I know he invented. 6 weeks later, he tells me that they are days away from getting me car. I tell him, to forget it, I’m going to take it someplace local and get it looked at.

I get the car towed to Billet Design and they do a leak down test on the car… 20% compression in all 4 cylinders. They pull the motor and guess what… all 4 pistons had cracked ring landings and the rings had collapsed scoring all 4 cylinder walls. Kenny offers to help me with the rebuild… He’s going to buy me pistons (wow $500 dollars). I guess that’s what he means by we take care of our customers. 12 weeks go by and he still couldn’t get me a set of overbored pistons from Race Engineering (a company that is literally 5 miles from my house).

At this point it’s been like 4 months since my car ran, I write off Kenny and start this long process by myself. I send my block to Golden Eagle and get new pistons made. I get the Carrillo rods, the block balanced and blueprinted. The head built and ported. Billet is doing the fabrication and tuning, ZPI can eat sh|t and die as far as I’m concerned.

As far as your build goes, I like what you are doing, but I hate the fact that you are doing it with ZPI.

All fanboys beware, I was once like you, but I have paid the ultimate price for my loyalty.

I know your story a little differently than you have laid it out here, but who cares. You had like one of the very FIRST ZPI kits installed on a tC. I've been running the same setup for over a year.....Obviously some changes have been made to the system after your departure....

Edit....You make it sound like this just happened last week, when you are talking about something that happened nearly 2 years ago. Our car wasn't even Boosted at the time of your dispute. Hell, this was when we had the BCP tC that got totalled, which is what we had before the BSP tC we have now.

Secondly, this does not belong in this thread. There is a section called SHOP Experience, you should try that sometimes.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

better call neo, its a glitch in the matrix.

i knew i saw 2 black cats.. DANG IT!
Old 04-15-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod

You dream of conflict that I create versus your beloved company.

Yeah, cause you are just Mr. Goody 2 shoes....
Old 04-15-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

It appears that some how my long post from page 4 was deleted but some how the part where rhythmnsmoke quoted me is still there on the same page.

Hmmmm... Maybe I'm missing something, maybe it's a "system glitch" but I hate being censored!

Probably because you are thread jacking a little...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Probably because you are thread jacking a little...
Yeah, maybe if people read the rules when signing up, they would understand alot of things.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

for the record if i recall correctly im running "THE" very first zpi kit and i have had no such problems. so dont blame it on being one of the first kits. seems like an install problem.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
for the record if i recall correctly im running "THE" very first zpi kit and i have had no such problems. so dont blame it on being one of the first kits. seems like an install problem.
ZPI installed it
Old 04-16-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
Originally Posted by pollup
ZPI installed it
correct, i read that. im just saying dont blame it on being one of the first kits as being the reason, its not. sounds like a botched install honestly.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

still fighting
Old 04-16-2007, 04:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionCREW
still fighting
Old 04-16-2007, 04:55 AM
Banned
SL Member

Honestly, I believe it was a bad tune. The car was too rich to the point where it washed the rings.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Honestly, I believe it was a bad tune. The car was too rich to the point where it washed the rings.
Running rich will do that. I was in the 8's on the AFR when i came back from ZPI. Called kenny up, flew down, tuned my car to about 11.5, took me out for some food, and flew back.

Kenny is an awsome guy, and ZPI is great. Soory you didnt have the same experience.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned
SL Member

When I told Kenny how rich I was running, he told me that it was perfectly safe and that I shouldn't worry about it.

Once my care started smoking, I sent the whole kit up to him (emanage included) I thought he was going to fix the maps, but he never even unpacked the emanage. He just sent it back with the same map.

In the end, it probably didn't matter because the damage was already done. Once I put the new kit on my car, it only drove about 10 or 15 miles before the car officially died.

He did say that he wanted to fly down to look at it, but he never did, in fact, he was in Orlando for a show and couldn't find any extra time to come to my house (2 hour drive south).

I'm guessing that as most people here are saying that the ZPI of today is not the same ZPI from 18 months ago, but that doesn't change the fact that he did not help me out in any way once the damage was done and to this day has not offered any form of help. No parts, No support, Nothing, they just washed their hands of me like I never existed. I spent almost 8k for that turbo kit (everything included) and over 6 with them specifically.

Even though he offered to pay for my new pistons, never came through. The company that he gets his pistons from, race engineering, couldn't provide any overbored units even though I gave them 12 weeks and several chances to do so. Kenny did speak to my engine builder for about 5 minutes to discuss aftermarket parts he was aware of, but that my friends is as far as ZPI or Kenny went to assist me.

Defiantly different sides of the spectrum.

Quick Reply: me beautiful stage 3 block