Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Megan Header with PTuning Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Megan Header with PTuning Exhaust

Ok I went out and bought alot of my stuff threw out a week. I got a S/C, Megan Header and PTuning 3in exhaust... My question is anyone else running this setup and do you think its loud? Me honestly this thing is super annoying it sounds like a civic with a fart can. I get no inital response when I drop it and hammer the gas.. its like a delay and then it kicks in... I'm a little dissapointed I thought it would have alot more pick up than what its doing.. I'm having buyers remorse and should of went turbo..
Old 06-07-2008, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is it tuned? you should get a piggy back get it professionally tuned.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Get rid of the Megan header. I had the same setup and didn't like it at all. I put the stock header back on and liked it so much more. I then had a Moroso Spiralflow muffler put on and love the sound.

I also have a 9.5psi pulley and think the car has pretty good pull. I plan on doing a few more things to get more performance out of it too.

If you're all about straight line acceleration, yeah, the s/c isn't that great. It's better suited to a more technical course, like Auto-X.

A turbo setup will be great in straight lines and less technical courses for most people. If you aren't careful with the accelerator around corners and turns, the front end can get away from you. But with practice, you should be able to control it.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Thanks I talked to Brandon at PTuning and going to get a few thing changed up.. LOL Sono___un Brandon told me about you and how you hated it like I did and to switch out the header to the stock on.. My question did you notice a difference after the swap? I guess I have to take the money lose in the header.... Which isn't to bad I can atleast get a pulley and something else. I'm trying for 315whp... So we'll see..
Old 06-07-2008, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I only drove my car twice with the Megan header. Once was driving home after getting the Ptuning exhaust put on, and then to get it fixed, lol. I didn't want to accelerate hard because it was embarassing.

Good luck with your build. If you come up for the Springfield event tomorrow, we can talk more.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey bro I'll be up there. Not sure if you know but I'm one of the new member of SE NoVa
Old 06-07-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I've noticed ya on the SE forums. I won't have my car at the show since it's still in the shop getting painted.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Aww snaps.. Thats cool. I'll be looking forward to meeting you and we'll talk about s/c stuff LOL. I'm not sure when to leave here. I want to register my ride in the show but not sure.. I'll make a choice up there. I just wanna part next to the SE Guys tho.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

The reason you have lag is because running a 3" exhaust on a non turboed tC will cause you too loose low end torque. That would be your lag problem good sir
Old 06-08-2008, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I don't have lag on my setup. Also, the dyno on my car shows an increase in torque and HP throughout the entire RPM range, even down low.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, it is a centrifical supercharger, it only makes peak boost at redline. this allows you to get 30 mpg when you want, and way less when you don't. i know it isn't the most powerful setup, but i like the supercharger. i know a turbo is more power, but more complicated and less reliable.

good luck getting to 315 whp, you'll need an intercooler or water/meth injection, 12 psi pulley, ripp mods cams, performance intake, and tuning...
Old 06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
good luck getting to 315 whp, you'll need an intercooler or water/meth injection, 12 psi pulley, ripp mods cams, performance intake, and tuning...
yup... I dare say you won't even get that close. That's a long shot. If you wanted 315 (w)hp, why didn't you just get a turbo?
Old 06-10-2008, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Because I'm a believer of the supercharger.. Besides its not normal.. People dont want to make a s/c faster just because its a s/c.. I dont like following the normal... Dont get me wrong I respect any moder and anyone that does even the little bit to get their ride the way they want it I like that. But I dont want to be "another turbo tc".. I have the time and money so we'll see.

I've debating now to just put on a 3in high flow cat just to see the results.. If anyone has done this on a s/c setup like mine tell me what to think. I'm nervious just thinking about cutting the ptuning piping. I dont mind loud, I mind rasp, from what I was told rasp is a result of not enough backpressure and the exahust coming out is bouncing around the piping... And from what I know its a lost in horses or maybe a little gains... None the less I want to be different. I want people to be like damn that dude put some time into that motor and he' s s/c...
Old 06-10-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is not too much problem with the megan header

to be honest i wouldn to with ptuning.

i would go with a muffler, 1 big or 2 smaller resonator ( magnaflow) and custom 3" piping
maybe the piping wont be shiny as the ptuning but the muffler looks 10 times better imho
Old 06-10-2008, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I honestly like the Ptuning exhaust a lot. I feel the gains but the combo of them both are just loud. It would be nice at the track tho, none the less a 3in high flow only cost like 75 bucks so I'll check it out.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Banned
SL Member

Originally Posted by TokenAsianGuy
Because I'm a believer of the supercharger.. Besides its not normal.. People dont want to make a s/c faster just because its a s/c.. I dont like following the normal... Dont get me wrong I respect any moder and anyone that does even the little bit to get their ride the way they want it I like that. But I dont want to be "another turbo tc".. I have the time and money so we'll see.

I've debating now to just put on a 3in high flow cat just to see the results.. If anyone has done this on a s/c setup like mine tell me what to think. I'm nervious just thinking about cutting the ptuning piping. I dont mind loud, I mind rasp, from what I was told rasp is a result of not enough backpressure and the exahust coming out is bouncing around the piping... And from what I know its a lost in horses or maybe a little gains... None the less I want to be different. I want people to be like damn that dude put some time into that motor and he' s s/c...
Dude, I totally respect that. I went with the S/C because I don't understand everything that goes into owning, maintaining, and eveything else that goes into a turbo. I'm planning on doing things with the S/C to get me into the MAYBE 250hp range. But what I was saying was, was that for the total price you will end up paying to get your S/C tC to 315hp, you could have done it much easier with a turbo kit.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

After a few hundred miles and a high flow cat it pretty much tamed down a bit. Little bit. I like a retard had the mid piping mounted in reverse. So that quiet it down a little bit. None the less its super sexy at idle and even sexier at WOT. In the middle of rpm's sucks and is annoying but I love it all in all.