Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

a-mendoza build 400-500whp soon to come - Update 4/11/11 - First time at the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well guys, i did a little more cleaning today and everything is ready for assembly. Just waiting on the short block. Also, after further investigations of seeing why my motor was killing over, i found some more problems. cam to bucket clearances were off by a bit on the old head. Also finally found something wrong with the bottom end. Apparently the pistons were in need of replacment. I usually see the rings breaking appart and scratching up the cylinder walls but i found that the lands inbetween the rings were broken. Thats what was probably the cause of the excessive blowby and low compression.

Hopefully reasembly begins next week so stay tuned to see how it goes.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cant wait to hear about the car when it up and running... got to post up some videos when done!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Good Luck on the Build. What kind of bearings are you going to use?
Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Thanks cause i feel that ima need it. To answer your question, ACL race bearings are going in. Hopefully reassembly of the motor will begin soon cause id really like to get the car running again. Just waiting on some stuff to get here first so i can start throwing it all back together.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well another week has almost gone by and still no block yet to start assembly. Im really hoping the motor is ready for assembly by next thursday cause now i have to try and get the car runing by the 30th of this month. Im borrowing my moms car to get me arround while my car is down but i just found out im going to have to give the car back by the 30th cause its scheduled to hit the shop for a fresh paint job. This wouldnt be to bad of an issue except for i can only work on the car on thursdays and saturdays. that means i have 4 days left to get it runing again. Ill be having to work around the clock to get it running on time. If i still have no motor by next week then it looks like im going to be having to rent a car for at least a week. Not looking forword to having to pay for that so hopefully the good word comes in soon that the block is ready from the machine shop.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Some vids for your viewing pleasure. This is mainly a picture vid of the journey my car has had. Next video will actually be of races and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUMQVDnIT6o
Old 07-16-2010, 08:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good but next time, leave out the music. Well, you can have music during the slide show but not during the motions.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:09 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

hey, I remember this tC from last years asylum. I had the white tC with jp lip and TT turbo kit. So, when r u supposed to get the short block?
Old 07-16-2010, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Carlanga
hey, I remember this tC from last years asylum. I had the white tC with jp lip and TT turbo kit. So, when r u supposed to get the short block?
The guy doing the machine work for the motor is backed up on work but good news is that mine is next. Should be ready in a couple of weeks. Maybe even next week if he gets to it a little quicker. Ill post an update when i get the good word for it.

Ah so this was your car. Man i was so jelous of this car. Its freaken sick. Looked really clean especially how the front and rear lips were molded to the bumper. Looked like it had fresh paint too. Your the one that inspired me to go with the TT mani and get a JP lip kit in the future. Pat yourself on the back sir for a really great job.

Name:  SANY0013.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  SANY0059.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  SANY0014.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  SANY0014.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  121.7 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SANY0014.jpg (121.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by a-mendoza; 07-16-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the Dezod Shortblock was already assembled......Did you buy a dezod block or are you having a local machine short assemble a block for you? or is the machine shop dezod use backed up?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Racersky
I thought the Dezod Shortblock was already assembled......Did you buy a dezod block or are you having a local machine short assemble a block for you? or is the machine shop dezod use backed up?
I did buy the dezod short block but they are made to order. Their machinest is backed up on work but last i heard my block was next in line for machining. As soon as its done itll be ready for asymbley on my end and then just drop it in and hope all goes well. Hope that answers your question.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by a-mendoza
I did buy the dezod short block but they are made to order. Their machinest is backed up on work but last i heard my block was next in line for machining. As soon as its done itll be ready for asymbley on my end and then just drop it in and hope all goes well. Hope that answers your question.

Ahhh.....makes sense now.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by a-mendoza
well guys, i did a little more cleaning today and everything is ready for assembly. Just waiting on the short block. Also, after further investigations of seeing why my motor was killing over, i found some more problems. cam to bucket clearances were off by a bit on the old head. Also finally found something wrong with the bottom end. Apparently the pistons were in need of replacment. I usually see the rings breaking appart and scratching up the cylinder walls but i found that the lands inbetween the rings were broken. Thats what was probably the cause of the excessive blowby and low compression.

Hopefully reasembly begins next week so stay tuned to see how it goes.

Catch me up to speed, something wrong with the bottom end? I thought you bought a built short block from Dezod?

*edit* Kinda answered the question above. But what's this about the pistons needing replacement and broken lands?

Last edited by rhythmnsmoke; 07-22-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Catch me up to speed, something wrong with the bottom end? I thought you bought a built short block from Dezod?

*edit* Kinda answered the question above. But what's this about the pistons needing replacement and broken lands?
i think that was the stock motor he was talking about.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

Originally Posted by brett561tc
i think that was the stock motor he was talking about.

Yes this issue problem was found on the disassembly of the stock motor. Basically what was broken was the part of the pistons that separate the rings. Ill hit up my garage later today and shot a pic of it to show you what im talking about.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Heres a pic of what i was talking about when i said pistons were in need of replacement. Anyone else had this problem?

Name:  SANY0001-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  SANY0003-1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  128.9 KB
Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cracked ring land? I can't tell on my phone. But if it is that don't worry lol it happened to me but 3 out of 4 pistons lol. I had to repair my cylinder walls but I was going .20 over anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2010, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Still no motor yet. So i went ahead and bought some Energy Suspension motor mounts thru Dezod to give me something to do for now. Well it was not easy. A real pain in the A** to remove the old rubber mounts and to put in the new ones as well. I cut and destroyed the old rubber mounts to get them out and also had to cut up the metal sleeves in them with a hack saw to get them out. Took about 5hrs of destruction to get them out. Installing the new mounts was pretty easy. I did not have a press and didnt want to pay a shop so i just used a jack and my moms cars frame as a press to get them on and here is the finished result:

Name:  SANY0010-1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  123.7 KB
Old 08-01-2010, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whatever works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Its been a month since my last update on my build thread but here it is.

Since last month i have installed my dezod ss clutch line and got my new spal slim fans installed as well. But for the better news, i just got word today that my short block is finally done. It should be shipped out and on its way to me by tomorrow. This means that my build should hopefully get to continue by this saturday, if not then next thursday for sure. look out for more pics very soon.

Quick Reply: a-mendoza build 400-500whp soon to come - Update 4/11/11 - First time at the track