Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...
View Poll Results: Most reliable in your opinion
Treadstone
31.03%
GReddy
68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Most RELIABLE turbo for a noob.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 PM
SL Member

Default Most RELIABLE turbo for a noob.

Before you post anything, allow me say that even though is only my second post on this site, I've been a avid scionlife forum reader since June of '06 when I first bought my TC. Thanks to all of the experience and knowledge of (most of )you scionlife members, i have been able to fully understand and do my own installs and learn a great deal about modifications and mechanics in general. I appreciate all the support you guys offer for each other, and that alone proves we're not heartless "speeders" who just live to throw money away, and not everything is competition. We look out for each other too

Anyhow, ... i know this might whip out a can of whoopass, so i'm going to refrain from using words like "best" and "better", but I am in a bit of a position.
I'm going turbo soon for sure. I've bought most of my gauges(pillar), BOV, and just stuff. I don't know what kit to go with. I'm looking for more reliability than power. I only saying that because I have a lot to learn about mechanics and I learn something new everyday, but i'm afraid of regretting boost because I don't know enough. I'm not as feeble as I may sound, but i would just hate find myself in a situation where my car won't start and can't drive to work after spending $5k making my car "better" (sh*t, i said it )
I was going to go with Treadstone because their setup LOOKS very nice, and some brand names sound familiar, but then I read that installing (which I wont do) is a mission, plus I've read some 'it gave me a hard time, but it's running well now' on this site. I was like "Yikes" - I heard Greddy was fairly complete and it's not too crazy (as far as power), and to me, sounds pretty reliable. Trusted name, no?

SO, YEA...
I just wanna hear stuff like.. "don't go with this Turbo unless you really know what youre doing", etc.. I want something user friendly, that's respectable, and won't leave my ___ stranded or in AAA truck Word?

I don't mean to start any feuds or arguments just want earnest opinions.
There's been a lot of discussion on who's that fastest, but who's the easiest?
I've read A LOT on this site, so please don't ask me to research it, I already have.
Unless you have a specific link to show me, you know?

All the help I could get,
Xavier_

[/b]
Old 03-31-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'd go with the GReddy - there's other stuff you need to buy for the Treadstone kit (like fuel management). Heck, there's stuff you need to buy for the GReddy kit too, but pretty much every kit has the little things you need to buy for it.

Honestly though, I'd say go with the Dezod kit - it has most of what you need.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if i were going for lots of power and reliability, I would probably go with a ZPI stage 1 kit. For reliability and a few less hp, I would opt for a ZPI stage 0 at 6 psi, and add Emanage Blue with the Pressure sensor for safe part throttle boosting, as well as 440cc injectors. You also will want to run a Wideband with air/fuel gauge such as the AEM Uego, as well as boost and oil pressure gauges, and maybe even a pyrometer (egt) gauge if you have the room. The stage 0 will give you the ability to upgrade to a FMIC and turn up the boost when you decide you need more power. I would also suggest running Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic if you arent already doing so. EDIT!!! DIDNT REALIZE this was only between greddy and treadstone when I posted lol. If thats the case, I say treadstone FTW!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Between Greddy and Treadstone, go with Greddy. No need to cut the crashbar with the Greddy kit. Also, Greddy has been building turbo kits for as long as I can imagine, so there are less question marks. Keep in mind, any turbo with certian upgrades will make a lot of power.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:34 PM
SL Member

Nauticalblue, why Treadstone over GRedyy? I'm not arguing in anyway, I was just wondering... If I were to go ZPI, i'd probably go with the stg1, but yea, I'm more between Treadstone and GReddy. Greddy is what it is, and as far as i'm concerned, it pulls a lot more than a ZPI stg0, yes?

Bcnu, ... my thoughts exactly. I don't KNOW anything for sure, but i know GReddy's got a decent rep.

krdshrk , I've looked into the extra "stuff". I already have the emanage (440cc), the gauges, the PNP, and pretty much everything except an actual kit. As you can see, i've been just buying knowing that I want boost, but not buying anything that'll actually force me to a make a decision as to what kit I'm going with.

I'm all about Customer serv, and being able to nag people for the stuff I buy, and both Dezod and Treadstone are a trip and fall away from my house (i'm in So.FL).

Thanks guys_ So far, i'm leaning towards Greddy.
I considered Treadstone an awful lot, but read on here a lot of issues after and during installation.
It doesn't have to be either of the two. You guys can throw anything else in here, I was just considering those two the most.

Thanks again_
Old 04-01-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i would definitly recommend greddy since you already have emanage, injectors and bov. also, i haven't read any fitment problems with the greddy which is a good if your a first time installer.

but my advice to you as i was in your shoes half a year ago: make sure you know how EVERYTHING works (especially electrical) unless you wanna take it to a shop. when a problem arises, its nice if you know where to start looking. the only mods i have done before my turbo install were short shifter and suspension mods. so yes, total noobs can install turbo systems :D
Old 04-01-2007, 12:30 AM
SL Member

Satoman, ... how "everything works", huh?...
Jeez- I've done everything possible to find more info( turbo 101, how stuff works. wikipedia, and other forums (sorry))_
Yea, GReddy, right guys?
And by the way, I won't be installing the turbo myself for a million reasons, but... yea, no...
Old 04-01-2007, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Cool - you've done some homework.

Since you've bought that stuff already, go GReddy.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AngrySnail
Jeez- I've done everything possible to find more info( turbo 101, how stuff works. wikipedia, and other forums (sorry))_
Yea, GReddy, right guys?
And by the way, I won't be installing the turbo myself for a million reasons, but... yea, no...
lol, my bad, thought you were doing it yourself. but ya, seems like you have plenty enough knowledge about the turbo system so i wouldnt worry. just make sure you have a trustworthy shop do it. but yup, seems like your good to go man.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AngrySnail
Yea, GReddy, right guys?
I think both are good kits, but I went with Treadstone. Everything that comes with it makes it sooo worth the minor trimming needed to make things fit. Garrett turbo, cast IRON manifold, turbonetics wastegate, Greddy Type RS Bov, 440cc injectors, biiig intercooler, nice piping and intake. I for one love my kit and stand behind it. I get alot of grief about the trimming it needed, but I think it was worth it! Let me know if you have any other questions about anything. I think you win with either one you choose in all honesty. Plus, treadstone is in Miami!!! Go see them!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dont get me wrong I think the Greddy and the Treadstone are both great kits. But, I think if you were to have trouble out of either kit, that Treadstone will be more available for technical support, and more likely to provide hands on support than greddy. As far as greddy vs. ZPI stage 0, I believe the stage 0 will make more power if you add injectors and emanage blue. There is a video on here somewhere of a ZPI stage 0 car vs. a Greddy car and the ZPI car owns.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:16 AM
SL Member

Jrod, I don't really mind the trimming per say, but it's just that I haven't REALLY heard good things about them, so i'm kinda hoping someone WOULD talk me into them. lol
How was installation? Are you running emanage? How much do you dyno? And yes, they're in the So.FL area. I'll most likely swing by soon and have a look at them. Is there anything I should know about this kit besides the trimming, anything extra? Another thing, I already bought the turbo XS Hrfl BOV, and I know this kit already comes w/ the GReddy RS but I suppose I could always sell it or something.

Nauticalblue, Treadstone would be more available (considering location), and isn't ZPI w/ the injectors considered stg1?

... damn guys.. I was really ALL for GReddy before this post, but now i'm not too sure. Treadstone is now a good possibility, and thanks to my boy blue, ZPI is in the picture as well.

..keep 'em coming_
Old 04-01-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my buddy just finished doing some research on a turbo kit and he ended up going with a zpi stage 1 (he has never ridin in my car so hes not sure yet what hes gotten himself into)

he called treadstone and after talking to them they say they have their kit running at 260whp with no engine management. they said the engine management hurts the horsepower and that the stock ecu is capable of handling the turbo kit up to that hp without piggyback. in no way do i understand this logic. the stock ecu doesnt handle zpi's stage 0 perfect, why would it handle a turbo capable of higher horsepower better? not understanding.

honestly id go zpi, only because i have experience with the kit. ive loved every minute of it and the power is unmistakeable.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:48 AM
SL Member

For all you ZPI enthusiast, do you know where I could check the kits out?
Every time I check their site I end up here...

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...hp?cPath=24_44

Where are their kits? Do they have a site for their kits?

And about the Treadstone stuff,... their equipment LOOKS good, but they're often very contradicting and I think sometimes just say things to say it, like some of the stuff you mentioned, pollup. ok-ok-ok... Everyone's pro-ZPI. I'll give 'em a better look. Help me find these guys.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.zeropointindustries.net/s...hp?cPath=28_40

there you go buddy, all you have to do is go to engine > forced induction

not turbos & accessories
Old 04-01-2007, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I called up GReddy when I had an issue with the emanage. They're available. I doubt you'd have problems with the GReddy kit.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 AM
SL Member

Ah, yes... there we go, Black_
Now I can see-

Alright, Stg 0 looks very affordable.
Are you guys sure Stg0 makes more power than the GReddy?
It's stated here ZPI stg0 230 wph, and i've read 270 whp on GReddy.
I'm also thinking... ZPI stg0 $2.2k, and then GReddy $2.8K -
Old 04-01-2007, 03:20 AM
SL Member

Oh, man oh, man guys...
I have to admit, I was little "eh" about starting my own thread because I thought you guys were all gonna laugh and give me hell, but you've guys been awesome! I've done more today than I've done an entire week.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will yield more whp on the greddy kit since it is intercooled and has engine management. if its power your looking for go zpi stage 1. a few of us are in the 300whp range, im currently in the 275 whp range on my 20s on a load bearing dyno. gonna redyno on factories on a dynojet to see the difference.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:32 AM
SL Member

Pollup, so you're saying...

ZPI stg0< GReddy< ZPI stg 1 ?

Quick Reply: Most RELIABLE turbo for a noob.